🐾 🐾  Sea Dog gets Wet, a "Soggy Adventure LIVE" 10-21-23

Sea Dog

On 10/22/2023 at 6:46 PM, Sea Dog said:

Moral of you don’t like something speak up, be kind but firm. They do want to please you.

My motto exactly!

BTW, does anybody ever check behind the bed for an extra plug, hidden, but a lot of ships have them there.  You'd have to move the bed a little or ask your steward to look, I wouldn't take his word for it, some of them don't even know.  We've found them in many ships.

• Like 4

St. Croix Day 4

IMG_2994.thumb.jpeg.e16d469f9fbc5e745744ca813b4c30c7.jpeg

Finally Land Ho for Sea Dog and excited to visit St. Croix and do an excursion to Mermaid Beach at the Buccaneer Beach.

IMG_2919.thumb.jpeg.d238feaf03ad614d11cc819e79c665f8.jpeg

With a name like Buccaneer Beach Resort what’s not to love for this Sea Dog Pirate

IMG_2931.thumb.jpeg.eb222b7aa9b32116337d8dcdd61ee2c4.jpeg

St. Croix is a really beautiful island with a population of over 60,000

Interest to me that it has two major rum distilleries in Captain Morgan (I’m a fan of their private stock) and Cruzan known for their light aged rum. 

Now first I digress with a complaint. I can’t stand it when people can’t show up for their excursion on time. It said on our ticket to meet on the pier zone 1 at 9:30. What time did I get there? 9:15. Better safe than sorry but that doesn’t apply to some folks. The excursion guide even said they would leave the pier at 9:45. 9:30 came and we were missing two people. 9:45 we were still missing two people but the guide had us walk down the pier to awaiting busses. Once on the bus, no couple, still MIA. So the bus driver leaves and I mutter to myself “good leave them if they can’t tell time.” But, apparently we were driven around the block and came back around to see if the guide located then. Nope so we drove off again as I muttered to myself,  “even better.” But wait we drive around the block AGAIN.” Now I’m pissed we have already lost 20 minutes into our excursion and the other bus was on their way to the resort. Back around we go and when we will stop nobody knows. Then the magical tardy party shows up with the guide. As they entered the van I was so tempted to say “you know, you can buy a cheap watch here in the port area.” But I bit my lip and kept quiet. They didn’t even apologize.

IMG_2911.thumb.jpeg.583414d315da7506a8019aeb66a53e07.jpeg

It was a nice drive even though they said about twenty minutes but was actually 40 minutes.

IMG_2908.thumb.jpeg.1758d4941bdd3cb56456460548ecbbc0.jpeg

We passed the Cruzan Distillery first. Hard to take a picture as we were moving, but you get the idea.

IMG_2909.thumb.jpeg.ab9403206c4d09586402b90a57ef1101.jpeg

You could see the Rick houses where they store the barrels. I tried desperately to smell a whiff.

IMG_2972.thumb.jpeg.f939019ff8f46a4b7065149494ce589e.jpeg

Then down the road it was Captain Morgan It is named after the 17th-century Welsh privateer of the Caribbean, Sir Henry Morgan. Someday I want to tour it. A very big facility.

IMG_2973.thumb.jpeg.96da37c77f02c04a907918cd88b94c63.jpeg

We even passed a huge oil refinery. Apparently it’s the largest in the northern hemisphere but sadly it’s now closed.

IMG_2933.thumb.jpeg.7f42c9fe136ef7a93567a296c6ba8942.jpeg

Finally we turned onto a private drive with well manicured landscaping and a sign that read Buccaneer Resort. It was in 1653 that Charles Martel, a Knight of Malta, constructed the first building on Estate Shoys, where The Buccaneer is located. Several owners later it is the first hotel and resort constructed on St. Croix.

IMG_2929.thumb.jpeg.1d19b5a1e195473b5cdf783b501378d6.jpeg

IMG_2924.thumb.jpeg.a4cb757b26865f2791fcbc2582b775dd.jpeg

IMG_2925.thumb.jpeg.7d2738eb1435d9f0dd80ad3f517cbef8.jpeg

The grounds are gorgeous with a golf course , 3 different beaches and an area with high dollar hotel suites ranging from over $1,000 per night.

IMG_2928.thumb.jpeg.d91173cb914ca6fd36e33a0e87d8e5b8.jpeg

IMG_2935.thumb.jpeg.c2af8558abdadf92ca08a103a976f721.jpeg

Our excursion fee included one complimentary rum punch but they had a full cocktail list and food list for purchase. Originally I wasn’t going to eat until I saw this! 

IMG_2950.thumb.jpeg.dbb2d407cfc314f0c396d034fb0f62fb.jpeg

IMG_2951.thumb.jpeg.15a0914f91a7193771b6444d0c215890.jpeg

A Alfredo sauce seafood shrimp and crab pizza. I had to order it. It was amazing. Even the cute dove birds thought so too as they would hop very close to me to get a piece.

IMG_2960.thumb.jpeg.16c1f4953d52f35bcccda5c8a0ee3d52.jpeg

The drinks were fabulous and with a price point of $14

IMG_2952.thumb.jpeg.54b0f6ad398b757ba86ff3233a2edc99.jpeg

I thought I was back on the ship. However I was not able to use my Diamond voucher. With rum distilleries on the island of Cruzan and Captain Morgan the drinks were made  of rum that was as potent as a hurricane's howl, packing a punch that could rival even the mightiest waves at sea

IMG_2959.thumb.jpeg.7b875138b0ad6db0450cea2faaa5074f.jpeg

At one point I introduced myself by saying “Hello my name is José Jiménez remember him? The fictional character created and performed by comedian Bill Dana on The Steve Allen Show in 1959 and who became increasingly popular during the 1960s. Boy I had a good buzz going on.

IMG_2917.thumb.jpeg.6337c9b88105fa3f68603390d9ceab7d.jpeg

Now remember the tardy couple? While Linda and I were in the water, a woman asked me what I was drinking and we started talking about rum and tiki cocktails as she is from LA and had been to Don the Beachcomber’s famous tiki bar. We had a great conversation and then her husband entered the water and I remembered that guy. They were the tardy couple. How could I berate them now as they were so nice. In the back of my mind I wanted them to pay for the 30 minutes I lost of beach time while our driver was playing ring around the roses block to see if they showed up.

IMG_2941.thumb.jpeg.6632a3b57f32005119e8dfe5d6f33c9e.jpeg

Best story in the water. Woman #1 talking to another woman #2 . Woman #1 asks woman #2 “Do you cruise a lot “? Woman #2 replies “Yes we cruise a lot maybe 4 to 6 times a year.” Woman #1 asks “are you pinnacle “? To which woman #2 replies “no we are catholic.” My cocktail went out of my nose laughing at that. A classic.

IMG_2932.thumb.jpeg.bab49df7e2be3c2f37779ff7b61150b1.jpeg

The Buccaneer Beach resort is a really fantastic place to spend the day. There were only 25 of us so we had the whole place to ourselves. Throw in beautiful palm trees, gorgeous clear warm water, great food and drink ms and in the voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger I say, “I’ll be back.”

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 19

Editor note.

I tried to clean up my post in editing but apparently I took too long and it would not save. Sorry for any mistakes.

Also I will produce a much longer video review after I get back home. I have lots of pics and video to show you all.

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Best story in the water. Woman #1 talking to another woman #2 . Woman #1 asks woman #2 “Do you cruise a lot “? Woman #2 replies “Yes we cruise a lot maybe 4 to 6 times a year.” Woman #1 asks “are you pinnacle “? To which woman #2 replies “no we are catholic.” My cocktail went out of my nose laughing at that. A classic.

Priceless!

• Like 4
  • Haha 11

18 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Editor note.

I tried to clean up my post in editing but apparently I took too long and it would not save. Sorry for any mistakes.

Also I will produce a much longer video review after I get back home. I have lots of pics and video to show you all.

I missed the mistakes just thought it sounded like a good time. You will be telling stories a long time later about this day. So the pizza was good? I think it was a good thing to eat while you drank.

Good joke. Cant fix stupid 

Was this excursion thru rcl?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Editor note.

Blame the booze, blame the booze. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

44 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I missed the mistakes just thought it sounded like a good time. You will be telling stories a long time later about this day. So the pizza was good? I think it was a good thing to eat while you drank.

Good joke. Cant fix stupid 

Was this excursion thru rcl?

Yes it was through Royal.

• Like 1

Beautiful pictures, Greg!  Sounds like a really great day.  Per the conversation between woman #1 and woman #2, reminded me of when I was a kid playing in a schoolyard.  One kid asked another kid if they were Catholic, to which the other kid replied that "no", they were Public.😁  You can't make this stuff up!

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, NHProud said:

You didn’t take into account you were on island time .

I was thinking the same thing. Between the 30 minute late tardy couple and the driver that turns a 20 minute drive into  40 minute drives, it seems like "Island Time" is alive and well on St. Croix.😇

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 4
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Well, to be fair, for some people being a Pinnacle is like a religion. 😆

I kid, I kid, it's a joke. It's an unwritten rule on CC there has to be one joke at Pinnacles expense per thread. Put the pitch forks down, please! 😉😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 26

About the refinery.  Back in the day when it was still operating periodically Carnival ships would have a port of call stop for St Croix listed in the on board "patter" for between midnight an 2am or there abouts.  Obviously it wasn't for passegers but for the ship to take on fuel due to lower costs.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Beyond April1. 2024. 10 night Caribbean with ABC.

Enjoy your Celebrity cruise. There are some Elite perks/benefits that are nice. No dedicated lounge like the DL/CL.  Bummer! The Beyond is an E (Edge) class ship. We like the layout.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Just read this to my husband.  We are both dying from laughter over here. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gatour said:

About the refinery.  Back in the day when it was still operating periodically Carnival ships would have a port of call stop for St Croix listed in the on board "patter" for between midnight an 2am or there abouts.  Obviously it wasn't for passegers but for the ship to take on fuel due to lower costs.

RCI did the same thing. We stopped for a few hours on Serenade. We spent the day in St. Thomas then booked it over to St. Croix for a few hours. We were able to get off the ship and spend some time in town.

• Like 6

Mermaid 🧜‍♀️ beach looks like my kind of place! Nice trees 🌴 for shade. Loungers nicely spaced. Nice sandy beach. I want to go there. If I do I may never leave! 😎  

Love the mooring line shots!

Edited by perfect match
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

It’s 2am, I can’t sleep. Again like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for Santa I am consumed with anxious anticipation. Today is Soggy Day.

Sign.thumb.jpeg.350450d36618b4888ba5dfe65f452072.jpeg

But first a Soggy backstory

Remember in my first post where I mentioned the only reason we booked this cruise was to go to Tortola and take an excursion to Jost Van Dyke and the famous Soggy Dollar Bar? I stated that it took an unexpected turn. Well imagine my horror, disbelief, anger etc…etc…etc… when you get an email like this.

Screenshot2023-08-15at11_23_49AM.thumb.png.e224d8df9ec9bf9b258bdba83ee97d3f.png

Can you imagine my horror and disbelief?

What do I do???? Do I cancel the whole cruise? Find an alternative excursion? We had our Cruise Critic friends joining us on this excursion. I reached out to them with a question. Would you be willing to charter a boat on our own to take us to JVD and Soggy? They all responded with an enthusiastic “Yes.” I knew that this would be the only way we could do it as chartering a boat is not cheap. I started researching charter companies and reached out to them. I received an email from Chillout Charters. They said they would be happy to accommodate us. It would be $1850 for a 7.5 hour excursion and that we could even go to numerous stops. The price included your friendly captain, snorkeling gear, a selection of beverages, Cruising Permits, and National Park Fees. 

We did have a little issue. The ship was to be in port from 7am-3pm. Not a lot of time. Chillout suggested a 6 hour charter for $1650 and we could still go to multiple locations but after checking with the group they were fine with just JVD and not feeling rushed. Bam!!! Booked. I cannot tell you how relieved I was. I had to do my happy dance.

giphy.gif

Now if you noticed my title it said Sea Dog Gets wet, Why??? Well when you visit the Soggy Dollar at Jost Van Dyke there is no dock at White Bay. Literally the boats pull up close to shore and you jump in and swim to the beach. Hence the name “Soggy Dollar Bar.” I have come prepared with my dry/wet bag for crisp dry currency.

Stay tuned more later.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 24