Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Simple question and you had the simple answer.  Much appreciated.  🙂  Now I know why that apparent tour come into Izumi from that door one day.  😉 

Congratulations! Rarely do simple questions on CC get a simple answer.😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

58 minutes ago, LadyZolt said:

Lombok, Indonesia today -- here's the spectacular sunset from the ship:

01Lombok19.JPG

01Lombok27.jpeg

Beautiful!  Love the blood red sun shot!  Wow!

Just showed this to Bucky.  He and his team built a power plant there some years ago...very populated island.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Now the question is do any of us go to Paris or not?  😮  Will be a tad busy there.  😉 

Living in the UK I've been to Paris a few times so will give it a miss this time.  Hubby is doing a charity bike ride to the WW2 beaches just a month earlier, so thinking maybe catch the train to Rouen one day and the bus or taxi to Honfleur and/or Deauville.  Or rent a car 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Living in the UK I've been to Paris a few times so will give it a miss this time.  Hubby is doing a charity bike ride to the WW2 beaches just a month earlier, so thinking maybe catch the train to Rouen one day and the bus or taxi to Honfleur and/or Deauville.  Or rent a car 

My concern about Paris....we are there the day before opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics.  😉  Just a tad busier than normal there.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, island lady said:

My concern about Paris....we are there the day before opening ceremony of the Summer Olympics.  😉  Just a tad busier than normal there.  

Hi Patricia.

Paris is a beautiful city that we have been to many times including our honeymoon almost 43 years ago.

You need several days there to appreciate the city.

The journey to and from Le Havre cruise port is very long.

Regards to Bucky too.

Graham.

Screenshot_20240319_150331.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Patricia.

Paris is a beautiful city that we have been to many times including our honeymoon almost 43 years ago.

You need several days there to appreciate the city.

The journey to and from Le Havre cruise port is very long.

Regards to Bucky too.

Graham.

Screenshot_20240319_150331.jpg

Thanks my friend!   Yes, I knew about the long bus ride to the city.  Not usually our "cup of tea", but would have put up with it for the tour we booked.  But that was booked before we knew about the summer Olympics there.  Will be interesting if they still run that tour at that time.  

Hello to your beautiful bride Pauline.  🙂 

• Thanks 1

Agree with @grapau27,  Paris calls for 3 days at the very minimum to enjoy what it has to offer.  Really, one could fill a full week easily.  But, @island lady, do take advantage of the excursion you’ve planned.  I’ll hazard a guess it’ll be a great teaser and you’ll head back in the future to explore further.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks my friend!   Yes, I knew about the long bus ride to the city.  Not usually our "cup of tea", but would have put up with it for the tour we booked.  But that was booked before we knew about the summer Olympics there.  Will be interesting if they still run that tour at that time.  

Hello to your beautiful bride Pauline.  🙂 

Best wishes Patricia whatever you both decide to do.

Graham.

• Haha 1

We were in Bali, Indonesia today.  We saw many amazing statues, plants, carvings -- incredible sensory overload!  Here are a few photos, but they don't really do the place justice. The monkeys are in the Ubud Monkey Forest -- they are Balinese Long Tail Monkeys. 

02Bali12.JPG

02Bali133.JPG

02Bali172.JPG

02Bali195.JPG

02Bali216.JPG

02Bali242.JPG

02Bali237.JPG

02Bali239.JPG

• Like 44

4 hours ago, wynkys said:

In my opinion, Honfleur is a great option.

3 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

If you’ve never been it’s probably worth putting up with the transfers but totally agree that Honfleur is well worth a visit.

Agree.  Our tour guide took us there. A quick stop as it was not scheduled but because we had time the tour guide added it.  I have good memories of the stop.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LadyZolt said:

We were in Bali, Indonesia today.  We saw many amazing statues, plants, carvings -- incredible sensory overload!  Here are a few photos, but they don't really do the place justice. The monkeys are in the Ubud Monkey Forest -- they are Balinese Long Tail Monkeys. 

02Bali12.JPG

02Bali133.JPG

02Bali172.JPG

02Bali195.JPG

02Bali216.JPG

02Bali242.JPG

02Bali237.JPG

02Bali239.JPG

Thanks for the pictures. I was just wondering this morning where the ship had got to 

Edited by sgmn

7 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Canon pics. Still don't get the appeal over the cell phone

I've almost completely stopped bringing my big Canon and lenses with me and shoot almost always using my phone (in RAW using Lightroom Mobile). It's much less to carry and still gives me good control over post processing.  

I'll still use my Canon if I want to blow something up to hang on a wall, if I want shallow depth of field (i.e. like John's monkey pics), if I want to precisely control shutter speed, or if I want to use a regular flash.  For other shots, especially typical "snap shots" when posting on social media in a small size, I don't think you can tell the difference.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just received an email from friends who were with us on the first quarter.   Chris and Jocelyn are also reboarding now in Barcelona through to Miami.  Yaaaahhh!!! 😍

They just booked yesterday, so I guess there is still room on the ship for new bookings.  

• Like 3

20 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Canon pics. Still don't get the appeal over the cell phone

If you know how to actually use a "real" camera (DLSR), then there is no comparison to the creativity and quality of the photos compared to a phone camera.  Phone cameras have come a long way in a short amount of time, but there is no way a $1500 beats a $3000 camera if the photographer knows how to use the DLSR (not just putting it on automatic and clicking - using shutter speeds, ISO, depth of field, aperture - are all things that camera phones simply do not do (yet). 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

If you know how to actually use a "real" camera (DLSR), then there is no comparison to the creativity and quality of the photos compared to a phone camera.  Phone cameras have come a long way in a short amount of time, but there is no way a $1500 beats a $3000 camera if the photographer knows how to use the DLSR (not just putting it on automatic and clicking - using shutter speeds, ISO, depth of field, aperture - are all things that camera phones simply do not do (yet). 

John says shutter speed and iso can be ser on his phone, not sure about rest. Aperture is set depending which of the 4 lenses you select

• Like 1