Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

16 hours ago, orville99 said:

I paid more than that just for my lenses😇📸

Lenses?

John paid that for one and he never uses it because it's to heavy🤣🤣

It's a ridiculous hobby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

Lenses?

It's a ridiculous hobby.

As a hobby, probably, but it was how I made my living for almost 30 years😇

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just now, island lady said:

Wow...love it!!  Must have been a fantastic career!  🙂 

Upside - took me all over the world and met some fascinating people along the way; downside - I averaged ~200 days a year either in hotels or airports.

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Upside - took me all over the world and met some fascinating people along the way; downside - I averaged ~200 days a year either in hotels or airports.

So you changed that to ~200 days a year on cruise ships.  🙂 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

22 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Just about half that - we average about 95-100 days a year depending on ships and itineraries.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Your bro Bucky can relate to that.  He was also all over the world, but in power supply...setting up power plants (mostly in Asia).   Not nearly as glamorous as you, but indeed spending his life in hotels, and airports.  Could never plan anything at home...he could be gone within hours after the dreaded phone call.  🥺

But my boss loved it...I spent more time on my sales work when he was gone.  😉 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Bucky as well...but now he has his "co-pilot" with him.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Could never plan anything at home...he could be gone within hours after the dreaded phone call.  🥺

I always had a “go bag” in the trunk of my car with all my gear because there were occasions when the “call” came from the corner suite that I had a flight to (insert destination) in an hour and there was no time to get home to pack.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, orville99 said:

I paid more than that just for my lenses😇📸

Boys and their toys.  Some boys really like their big toys.

8 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Lenses?

It's a ridiculous hobby.

I never invested in the long lenses.  A few short ones which are excellent, but really heavy.  The new mirrorless cameras do photos just as well and are so much smaller and lighter.  Too bad I invested in the full size camera and lenses, because it is so hard to give up after a large investment.  I will be bringing my full sized DLSR with a couple shorter lenses to the leg starting in Southampton.  I will have to chat with him again when we board.  I am sure there will be days though where I leave the full sized camera on the ship and just venture out with the camera phone as well.

12 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

I never invested in the long lenses.  A few short ones which are excellent, but really heavy.  The new mirrorless cameras do photos just as well and are so much smaller and lighter.  Too bad I invested in the full size camera and lenses, because it is so hard to give up after a large investment.  I will be bringing my full sized DLSR with a couple shorter lenses to the leg starting in Southampton.  I will have to chat with him again when we board.  I am sure there will be days though where I leave the full sized camera on the ship and just venture out with the camera phone as well.

John went mirrorless for this trip, but stayed with Canon and an adapter. The expensive lens isn't long, it's just really heavy. Look him up when you board 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

John went mirrorless for this trip, but stayed with Canon and an adapter. The expensive lens isn't long, it's just really heavy. Look him up when you board 

I have not seen him since the Bella Cruise.  Looking forward to chatting with him again.  I will likely bring two short really heavy lenses (non-mirrorless) so my camera will be bigger and heavier.  Keeps us boys with toys in shape.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Boys and their toys.  Some boys really like their big toys.

11 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

My 70-200 2.8 is my favorite lens, and my most hated lens.  It's big and heavy so I never want to take it with me when traveling.  If I was still using my DSLR enough, I'd love to switch to mirrorless.  I was drooling over the R5 for a while.  Doesn't make sense for me to spend the money though.  There are a lot of other toys that I can buy instead. 😎

• Like 1

17 hours ago, orville99 said:

I always had a “go bag” in the trunk of my car with all my gear because there were occasions when the “call” came from the corner suite that I had a flight to (insert destination) in an hour and there was no time to get home to pack.

OMG...I am so glad those days are over!  😄  Now all travel arrangements are made by me for us alone.  😉 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

OMG...I am so glad those days are over!  😄  Now all travel arrangements are made by me for us alone.  😉 

When will you be back on the WC? Looking forward to reading your posts especially about your food tours. I find them so interesting!

We have the Serenade booked for end of October. Hope it is still in good shape after the WC ends in September. 😉😁

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Arzeena said:

When will you be back on the WC? Looking forward to reading your posts especially about your food tours. I find them so interesting!

We have the Serenade booked for end of October. Hope it is still in good shape after the WC ends in September. 😉😁

Aww..thanks!  🤭

We fly into Barcelona on July 9th, reboarding Serenade on the 10th until she ends her tour in Miami on September 10th.  Looking forward to being back on board again and the wonderful itinerary coming up for that last quarter.  I will be posting my experiences again. 🙂 

• Like 18

Trying hard to remind myself that people have posted on that other site that there might bot be internet  for a few days and not allowing myself to stress that this thread was on page FIVE of CC.  Hope all aboard are well and looking forward to hearing from you in the not distant future!

On 3/23/2024 at 8:50 AM, bobmacliberty said:

My 70-200 2.8 is my favorite lens, and my most hated lens.  It's big and heavy so I never want to take it with me when traveling.    There are a lot of other toys that I can buy instead. 😎

I will likely just use my Tokina 11-16mm and Sigma 18-35 when I join the world cruise  So many other toys, but also, money could be spent on another cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, delmom18 said:

Trying hard to remind myself that people have posted on that other site that there might bot be internet  for a few days and not allowing myself to stress that this thread was on page FIVE of CC.  Hope all aboard are well and looking forward to hearing from you in the not distant future!

When I was on Spectrum last year during times when the ship was in China waters (even in Hong Kong and Taiwan) Starlink does not work and they had to revert to using the older Satellite network and it was very slow.

The next port of call is Hong Kong and the ship is in or nearing China waters so we would likely see less posts until folks get Hong Kong wifi or cell phone data.

The next 5 or so days is going to be a bit quiet for Serenade posts until out of Taiwan

(I’m not on the ship for a few more months)

Edited by dm1336
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, dm1336 said:

When I was on Spectrum last year during times when the ship was in China waters (even in Hong Kong and Taiwan) Starlink does not work and they had to revert to using the older Satellite network and it was very slow.

The next port of call is Hong Kong and the ship is in or nearing China waters so we would likely see less posts until folks get Hong Kong wifi or cell phone data.

The next 5 or so days is going to be a bit quiet for Serenade posts until out of Taiwan

(I’m not on the ship for a few more months)

Yep, getting close to Hong Kong, but Starlink seems to have a hub there.

Screenshot_20240326_172250_Maps.thumb.jpg.c12b3e43644edc98637422b68c4204ce.jpg

Screenshot_20240326_172509_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.ac71c4e26260d701ac2cd01dcecc04dd.jpg

Screenshot_20240326_172540_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.fd708eca9adf1207bebf0e59f74b78be.jpg

I'm enjoying my Food Network charter and have a new bestie😉

FB_IMG_1711471787341.thumb.jpg.f22d416fbb1a176bad5b83cc6813de7c.jpg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, CSHS1979 said:

Yep, getting close to Hong Kong, but Starlink seems to have a hub there.

Screenshot_20240326_172250_Maps.thumb.jpg.c12b3e43644edc98637422b68c4204ce.jpg

Screenshot_20240326_172509_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.ac71c4e26260d701ac2cd01dcecc04dd.jpg

Screenshot_20240326_172540_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.fd708eca9adf1207bebf0e59f74b78be.jpg

I'm enjoying my Food Network charter and have a new bestie😉

FB_IMG_1711471787341.thumb.jpg.f22d416fbb1a176bad5b83cc6813de7c.jpg

Is that Anne Burrell?  I've seen her Worst Cooks show a few times.

• Like 1