Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Though I do have to keep in mind...this is not a Viking cruise.  😉 

The topper is due to reports of very firm mattresses...even with them being replaced.  And no...RCI ships have not provided toppers to pax under request for many years now.   

We asked for and got one on Jewel of  the Seas had the egg crate mattress toppers this past September 2023. Not sure which Royal ships you have been on that didn't have them.

You have to ask the very first time you see your cabin steward to make sure you get one. Otherwise they may run out by the time you ask.

Edited by Jimbo

5 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Though I do have to keep in mind...this is not a Viking cruise.  😉 

The topper is due to reports of very firm mattresses...even with them being replaced.  And no...RCI ships have not provided toppers to pax under request for many years now.   

It's not so much the clothes, though we will have to pack for 90 degree...down to 40 degree weather changes, but rather the "other things".   Indeed meds, possibly needed cold/flu meds, heartburn, misc. etc.  Shampoo/conditioner/favorite bar soaps (shower has the "universal" crap soap for body, hair, etc. that the DH especially hates).   I also am taking extra toothpaste, and other toiletries that could be tough to find.  

Self service laundry machines on board?  LOL!   It is only offered for the full 274 day World Cruise pax (we are only on half...being first and last quarter).   We all get the "wash and fold" which we laughingly call the "Boil and Fry".   You definitely don't want to send anything out to that of which you care about.  😮   I take my collapsible small laundry tub and some detergent for hand washing...plus my wonderful hook magnets I can hang  clothes from the ceiling to dry with.  Dry cleaning very expensive, but we will be using that as well when needed. 

Tidy?  Our cabin attendants like to tease us that they really don't need to clean our cabin...just replace used towels.  😉  Which is why having the once a day cleaning does not bother us at all, and is actually preferred for us.  

It will be an interesting experience to say the least.  😄  

We’ll be away for 8 weeks coming up.  I think I’m packing for about 2-3 weeks of clothes but it’s a firm no to buying toiletries wherever I am as a previous poster suggested.  Many of us have some very specific things we use for hair, face etc and I’m not about to change on the fly.  Also I’d like to buy my OTC meds where I can read the label.  We plan on 4 checked bags, 2 roller carryon and 2 under the seat carry on.  I need my stuff.  We take organizational things for the cabin too as one of the blogs talks about.   We went for 16 days in October and decided that pretty much what we took then will also do us with hand washing for 4 times that long.  And really it all fits in the cabin. I use a hanging shoe rack in the closet even on 7 night cruises because I take too many shoes!

And thank you for the idea of the collapsible basin.  I’m ordering one to use instead of using a dry bag.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We’ll be away for 8 weeks coming up.  I think I’m packing for about 2-3 weeks of clothes but it’s a firm no to buying toiletries wherever I am as a previous poster suggested.  Many of us have some very specific things we use for hair, face etc and I’m not about to change on the fly.  Also I’d like to buy my OTC meds where I can read the label.  We plan on 4 checked bags, 2 roller carryon and 2 under the seat carry on.  I need my stuff.  We take organizational things for the cabin too as one of the blogs talks about.   We went for 16 days in October and decided that pretty much what we took then will also do us with hand washing for 4 times that long.  And really it all fits in the cabin. I use a hanging shoe rack in the closet even on 7 night cruises because I take too many shoes!

And thank you for the idea of the collapsible basin.  I’m ordering one to use instead of using a dry bag.  

Totally agree.  Since there is no limit to how many bags we can check on the ship, and we are allowed 4 checked bags for free on the short flight from Orlando to Miami...why not take the things that you prefer?  Saves us time from scrambling around trying to find them at ports...which won't happen easily.   

If I was on the full WC...yeah, I would have to find things in ports...but 63 nights is no big deal for planning in advance.  

Pretty much the same as you are doing.  One suitcase a piece, 3 carry on bags (laptop is in my second), and 2 duffle bags.   The duffle bags will be way lighter when we disembark, and in fact one will fold flat being empty,  and go into the other.  

We love our hanging shoe rack for longer cruises as well.  And since there was no chance to book anything higher than a regular balcony for us...things will be a little tighter, but should have all the room we need for storage.  🙂 

For those on the full voyage, what is expected to be a normal  routine?  Are there formal nights, and if so, are they as frequent as other types of cruises? Is there expected to be entertainment every night?   Is the dining menu similar to what we currently have on board (several courses each evening). 

It would be super exciting to be on the full voyage, but I know that I could not keep up with that type of routine, plus touring for nine months.

m

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

You should get "Upgraded bathroom amenities for members with 340+ cruise points".

LOL...even the suites we usually book, is unacceptable products to the DH...and makes us have to take our own on board.  I could get by...but he is very picky.  😉 

14 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

For those on the full voyage, what is expected to be a normal  routine?  Are there formal nights, and if so, are they as frequent as other types of cruises? Is there expected to be entertainment every night?   Is the dining menu similar to what we currently have on board (several courses each evening). 

It would be super exciting to be on the full voyage, but I know that I could not keep up with that type of routine, plus touring for nine months.

m

Will be interesting indeed.  We have long ago stopped doing the "formal nights".   Entertainment will also be something we don't know in advance.  But not a big deal for us.  The shows have never been a draw for us.  

And for us...we love breaking it up into two sections.  First and last quarter.  Kind of a "hop off, hop on bus" tour.  😄 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Regarding dress, dining,  entertainment etc., i  was  interested in what the ship will be offering during the full cruise,  I’ll check a few of the blogs after the cruise sets sail. 

m

What are some of the blogs if that can be posted here? I would love to follow along.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 8:06 PM, island lady said:

We are going from very hot Rio to not so warm Antarctica....with Ushuaia being a tad chilly, so yeah...we have the hot to cold weather clothes...and everything else as well.  I may be silly, but I am packing a 1.5 inch extremely compressed king size mattress foam topper in one of my duffle bags, that takes up most of the room in just that one bag.  😉 

@island lady You are very smart to pack the foam topper!!  We are just of the Harmony and only 1 week and the bed was so hard and uncomfortable.  We asked about a topper and our room steward said they were not available but would use a comforter or two under the sheets as a topper.  It was a nice gesture but did not make too much of a difference.  Can I ask what topper you are packing and most importantly how are you compressing and packing it, lol?  Have a fantastic journey and I'm with you wanting all the things necessary to make our journey fun and comfortable!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2023 at 9:06 PM, island lady said:

We are going from very hot Rio to not so warm Antarctica....with Ushuaia being a tad chilly, so yeah...we have the hot to cold weather clothes...and everything else as well.  I may be silly, but I am packing a 1.5 inch extremely compressed king size mattress foam topper in one of my duffle bags, that takes up most of the room in just that one bag.  😉 

Pack the topper!  Have to say after that luxurious bed in the Owner's Suite on Wonder, I'm spoiled ;o)  Do whatever it takes to be comfy onboard the ship.

I hope you and Bucky have a great time, Pat!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CruiseMomTX said:

@island lady You are very smart to pack the foam topper!!  We are just of the Harmony and only 1 week and the bed was so hard and uncomfortable.  We asked about a topper and our room steward said they were not available but would use a comforter or two under the sheets as a topper.  It was a nice gesture but did not make too much of a difference.  Can I ask what topper you are packing and most importantly how are you compressing and packing it, lol?  Have a fantastic journey and I'm with you wanting all the things necessary to make our journey fun and comfortable!!  

Thanks!  

Same thing with us.  After so many times on different ships asking for a foam topper, I always got the same answer, that they stopped providing them years ago.  And one attendant did the same as yours, put a duvet under the sheets...but it did not help.  

I bought this 1.5 inch king size topper from Amazon, after much research on reviews.  Was looking for the smallest compacted size.  It comes in a box, tightly shrink wrapped.  Very compacted.  I took it out of the box, keeping it in the shrink wrap, and happy to see it fit just fine in one of my duffle bags.  Will take the wrap off when I get the bag and let it fluff up in the cabin.  I think it will help a lot.  

If you would like me to find the info and post for you...I will be happy to help.  🙂 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Regarding dress, dining,  entertainment etc., i  was  interested in what the ship will be offering during the full cruise,  I’ll check a few of the blogs after the cruise sets sail. 

m

I am guessing, due to the length of the cruise, that it will not be that formal.   Packing is going to be too much of a challenge as it is.  And in my case, going from very hot weather to very cold weather due to Antarctica, and the Magellan straits...I have to pack for all season wear.  But all my clothes choices and shoes will fit into one suitcase.  

Reminds me of packing for Alaska...don't remember seeing many dress up at all.  Lots of jeans in the MDR....and flannel shirts.  😉 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Teeara said:

Pack the topper!  Have to say after that luxurious bed in the Owner's Suite on Wonder, I'm spoiled ;o)  Do whatever it takes to be comfy onboard the ship.

I hope you and Bucky have a great time, Pat!

Aww...thanks my friend!  Wish you could be with us again!  Loved our 4 weeks with you on the Wonder last year!  🙂 

Yeah, our bed in the GS on Wonder was nice.  But now that I am back to a balcony again, I am opting for that topper for the 63 nights.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  

Same thing with us.  After so many times on different ships asking for a foam topper, I always got the same answer, that they stopped providing them years ago.  And one attendant did the same as yours, put a duvet under the sheets...but it did not help.  

I bought this 1.5 inch king size topper from Amazon, after much research on reviews.  Was looking for the smallest compacted size.  It comes in a box, tightly shrink wrapped.  Very compacted.  I took it out of the box, keeping it in the shrink wrap, and happy to see it fit just fine in one of my duffle bags.  Will take the wrap off when I get the bag and let it fluff up in the cabin.  I think it will help a lot.  

If you would like me to find the info and post for you...I will be happy to help.  🙂 

@island lady I would really appreciate the topper information if you can post it. 

16 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

You should get "Upgraded bathroom amenities for members with 340+ cruise points".

I still need to bring my own shampoo and conditioner. For some reason the water in the ship dries out my hair so I bring my own products. Hubby uses the upgraded stuff

13 minutes ago, CruiseMomTX said:

@island lady I would really appreciate the topper information if you can post it. 

Okey dokey...here you go.  I am happy with the way it fits compact in a duffle bag, and hope it helps a lot.  Can't make it worse!  😉 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07993F9S9?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I still need to bring my own shampoo and conditioner. For some reason the water in the ship dries out my hair so I bring my own products. Hubby uses the upgraded stuff

Me too.  We always get the "upgraded" amenities...but not sure who deemed them that upgraded.  😉 

I can get by using them a couple of times, but having and using my own is preferrable.  My DH hates the ship stuff...and is one of the biggest reasons we bring our own.  

What is it that USPS states about their boxes...."If it fits...it ships"?  😄 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, island lady said:

Will be interesting indeed.  We have long ago stopped doing the "formal nights".   Entertainment will also be something we don't know in advance.  But not a big deal for us.  The shows have never been a draw for us.  

And for us...we love breaking it up into two sections.  First and last quarter.  Kind of a "hop off, hop on bus" tour.  😄 

I would have loved to book the 4th quarter, but when I suggested it to DH, he looked at me like I was crazy. But he did like 2 segments, so it didn’t take much to convince him and we booked them. I did manage to get him to do 27 nights on Odyssey in October - November, so it’s a move in the right direction. 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I would have loved to book the 4th quarter, but when I suggested it to DH, he looked at me like I was crazy. But he did like 2 segments, so it didn’t take much to convince him and we booked them. I did manage to get him to do 27 nights on Odyssey in October - November, so it’s a move in the right direction. 😁

What amazed me was how much my DH loves cruising, maybe even more than me...and I love it a lot.  😉   

I have cruises booked into late 2025...and am waiting to book into 2026...yeah, it's an addiction.  😄 

• Like 4