What are your thoughts on discussing politics in the MDR?

thermal

20 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Talking politics is like talking about covid.  Just don't.  People are very passionate about both subjects.  

I would argue that the reason that talking about COVID is so bad is that it has become political.

While I'm here, I'll briefly talk about another subject that I find awkward to talk about among strangers - health.  I really don't want to hear about your maladies, and I really really don't want to talk about mine.  Sometimes a cough or a sneeze is just a sneeze or a cough.  I think the best response is just to say excuse me and move on.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I read at the bar alot and travel solo.  I think most solos experience  unsolicited comments  

I do quite a bit of reading in lounges too.  No one would know if I was traveling solo or traveling with someone.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I do quite a bit of reading in lounges too.  No one would know if I was traveling solo or traveling with someone.   

Nosy Nellies assume sitting alone is an invitation especially at the bar counter

Edited by Elaine5715
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Nosy Nellies assume sitting alone is an invitation especially at the bar counter

Even if intended as a conversation starter, people should quickly recognize when someone wants to just read their book. 

On 1/28/2024 at 7:49 AM, K32682 said:

I'm not an American. When on a cruise I am on vacation. I have little or no interest in being subjected to a tedious discussion on the American political situation. Please keep them off the dinner table.

I'd also appreciate if you didn't discuss race, gun control, religion, reproductive rights, immigration and other subjects on which Americans often strongly. I feel strongly about them too and might be tempted to square off. 

Yes! I know what you mean.  what is asked or brought up is "health care" and what my thoughts are? 🤔 🤷‍♀️ I never knew how to reply/defend/answer that question.  Awkward moments for sure! 😄

On 1/28/2024 at 6:44 PM, Kristelle said:

Must be a cultural thing then.

I've never come across anyone felling it is uneccesarily intrusive - is a simple getting to know you question that people can answer in vague way if they have some secret service top job.

I've found it extremely common for people to start conversations with that.

And nothing about people is any of our business - but wouldn't be much conversation if we never asked people about themselves or shared about ourselves.

I never ask "what do you or did you do for a living?" Rather what kind of work were you involved in?" I see/feel the difference there but perhaps others don't.

I go on vacation to avoid hot societal topics. I want to escape the bull puckey! No religion, no money, no job talk, no politics. Even the weather is not safe. 

How about......uh......hmmm.....you go first......😵‍💫

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

How about......uh......hmmm.....you go first......😵‍💫

I sometimes break the ice with a good Star Trek joke,....

....What Did Mr. Spock find in Captain Kirks restroom?

9 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I think it would be easier to list the things you can talk about as that would probably be a smaller list😂

True statement of the day.  You just won this thread.  Everyone else gets participation awards in order to not offend them. 😁

45 minutes ago, JRG said:

not sure if this is a joke, if so, ignore following comment -  - whatever it is referring to would go completely over my head and seems a really strange way to start a conversation

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, clo said:

I never ask "what do you or did you do for a living?" Rather what kind of work were you involved in?" I see/feel the difference there but perhaps others don't.

Correct  - I don't.

When I say people ask what you do/did for a living  I don't mean people neccesarily use those exact words, they ask something that will open that conversation

which either of above sentences would do the same

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Kristelle said:

not sure if this is a joke, if so, ignore following comment -  - whatever it is referring to would go completely over my head and seems a really strange way to start a conversation

A couple of 12 year old boys would have found this hilarious in 1967.  If you don't, not to worry.

2 hours ago, JRG said:

Obviously you have been lucky you have not met the Trekie fan boy who wants to rant why all Star Trek post 2009 is a blasphemy ruining the legacy of a great sci fi universe😜. And do not even think to mention you enjoy any new Star Trek lest you want an education as to why you are wrong to like it😂

Edited by ilikeanswers

5 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Obviously you have been lucky you have not met the Trekie fan boy who wants to rant why all Star Trek post 2009 is a blasphemy ruining the legacy of a great sci fi universe😜. And do not even think to mention you enjoy any new Star Trek lest you want an education as to why you are wrong to like it😂

Aha, so anything can be offensive, even a Star Trek joke. 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Mmm, maybe better to start with "Which Spider-verse do you prefer?"

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

And do not even think to mention you enjoy any new Star Trek lest you want an education as to why you are wrong to like it😂

Never. 

That would be a violation of My Prime Directive. 

Some people do not understand that the original Star Trek series is a collection of morality stories,  much like Greek Mythology and Shakespeare.    (They also think that Klingons are things that stick to your Charmin).

Live Long and Prosper

Edited by JRG
minor edit
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Mmm, maybe better to start with "Which Spider-verse do you prefer?"

That would work too.   

But once I pull out the Greek and Shakespeare angle,   people open up and enjoy themselves in the conversations that ensue.  verses harking it out over the usual minutiae.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

And, for all that you hold dear, NEVER mention Star Wars in a Star Trek conversation. ☄️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mom says said:

And, for all that you hold dear, NEVER mention Star Wars in a Star Trek conversation. ☄️

Hold on. I don't confess this to many but I've never seen a single Star Trek!!!! I keep meaning. And I'm old as dirt 🙂

• Like 1