The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday February 19th, 2024

kazu

Today is Coast Guard Reserves Birthday, Daisy Gatson Bates Day (in Arkansas), and International Tug-of-War Day

He was like a ***** who thought the sun had risen to hear him crow. - George Eliot

Meal Suggestion for today - Kale Pesto
Drink of the Day - Spider's Kiss
Wine of the Day - Michele-Chiarlo-Nivole-Moscato 
Destination of the Day - Bitung, Sulawesi, Indonesia 

Today in History:
1878 Thomas Edison is granted a patent for his cylinder phonograph

Ship Locations

Eurodam

At Sea Destination Belize City eta 02-20

Koningsdam

At Sea Destination Hilo, Hawaii Island eta 02-23

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Oranjestad Aruba, Netherlands Antilles eta 02-20

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 10:00 - 18:00 

Oosterdam

At Sea Destination San Antonio (Santiago), Chile 

Rotterdam

Willemstad Curacao, Netherlands Antilles 12:00 - 23:00 

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Philipsburg St Maarten, Netherlands Antilles eta 02-20

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Bay of Islands, Russell, New Zealand 08:00 - 21 Feb 16:00 

Volendam

At Sea Destination Port Lincoln, South Australia eta 02-22

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Naha, Okinawa Island Japan eta 02-21

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Ishigakijima Island, Sakishima-Yaeyama, Japan Okinawa eta 02-23

• Like 14
  • Thanks 21

Good morning from a cold Ontario.

Thanks for the Report.

It's -15°C (5°F) this morning, but at least it isn't snowing.  It's Family Day here in Ontario.

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the recipe of the day (I don't think it's a meal).  Not sure about the drink but I'll probably like the wine.

Prayers for our world.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe and warm.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Today’s Care List:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, on CPAP

RMLincoln’s DSIL hospitalized

JazzyV with right leg pain, tingling and numbness; trouble walking

Victims of the shooting at the KC Chiefs Super Bowl Parade

RIP Alexei Navalny

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza; loss of US military members

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Ger_77’s DH Maurice with heart issues

RMLincoln’s DH with glaucoma issues, medication allergy

Rafinmd with elevated PSA

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Cruising sister’s great niece Murphy post-surgery, out of ICU!

RMLincoln’s DH Richard dealing day to day after his eye procedure 

Superoma/Kochleffel/Lcubed covering the Daily meal/drink/wine recipes 

Kazu stepping up to keep the FR/Daily going while Rich is cruising

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

1 day for USN59-79 (Seabourn Sojourn Feb 20 to Mar 24) 33d Sydney to Taipei + 17d in Taipei

5 days for Cruise Suzy (Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 24 to Mar 2) 7d Western Caribbean

0106 (Oosterdam to Feb 20) - celebrating her birthday on board, 22d SA & Antarctica, Ottahand7 (Eurodam to Feb 24 B2B2B Caribbean), Mister 67 (Celebrity Equinox to Feb 24) 9d Aruba, Curacao & Cayman Cruise, Cat Shepard (Norwegian Escape to Feb 24) 7d Caribbean: Great Stirrup Cay & Dominican Republic, Mr. Boston (Rotterdam to Feb 25) 9d Southern Caribbean Seafarer, Nickelpenny (Zaandam to Mar 16 2024) 28d Amazon Explorer, Cruising-along (Volendam to April 6) 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage, Durangoscots (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), cruising sister (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Cruisercl (Volendam to April 6, 94d Grand AUS & NZ voyage), Richwmn (Volendam to May 4, Jan 3 94d Grand Australia & NZ Voyage + Apr 6 15d PC Cruise + Apr 21 The Atlantic Coast), Cat in my lap (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage), Gail & Marty sailing away (Zuiderdam to May 11, 128d Grand World Voyage) and Aliaschief (Azamara Onward WC to June 9, 156d World Voyage)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 22

12 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I see the cruise critic profanity app has arisen with the name of a bird that has another meaning.

Roy

yes, sorry about that folks.  CC did it.  It was fine when I posted.

It’s a word for a rooster that unfortunately has another connotation.

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5

Good morning friends!  Well, sounds like our weather is the same as @seagarsmoker.  It's 34F and will be a mostly sunny day with a high temp of 59.  I'm good with that though tomorrow will be warmer and I'm looking forward to it.

Thank you Jacqui @kazu and Roy @rafinmd for helping Rich @richwmn keep the Daily and Fleet report going not to mention the fleet location maps.  Today is President's Day here in the U.S. so I suppose there's no mail delivery today.  It's nice to see it's also Coast Guard Reserves Birthday too.  I'll celebrate Daisy Gatson Bates Day because in a search I found she was a racial equity activist in Arkansas.  I think I'll pass on tug of war any day of the week.  Interesting quote from George Eliot and I know what was meant there.  I don't think I'd like the kale pesto, Spider's Kiss (yikes) or the Moscato.  A great day for Thomas Edison.  Thanks to the F&B department Debbie/Eva @dfish or @superoma, Dixie @summer slope and Laura @Lcubed.  We appreciate you all!

Prayers said first thing for DB and DGD Morgan, Bob and Sandy, Scott and Susan.  Also the people of Israel and Ukraine, hostages still held, and our military in the region.  And most certainly all my friends here on the Daily on the Care list and those not listed.  I hope you feel less pain and improvement in all areas of your lives.  🙏  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events, and the cruisers among us. 🚢🎉🥂🎂  Thank you Vanessa @JazzyV for your dedication to keeping the lists updated for everyone.  Good luck to you this week as you settle back in and with the procedure you have scheduled.  I hope it helps tremendously!🤞 

The port today is Bitung, Sulawesi, Indonesia.  I searched far and wide but never located that port here before so l assume it's another new port!  I have not visited that place on the globe before so would appreciate seeing and hearing about it from any of you who have.  

I found out yesterday that DGD Morgan was able to reschedule her meeting concerning her robbery until next Monday and was able to extend her weekend at home in Cincinnati to include today (a school holiday).  She flies home this afternoon.  DGS Ren was home in Ann Arbor since Friday since he had today and Friday off of school too, so he flies back to Dallas this afternoon as well.  Hoping they both have a smooth, uneventful flight back.✈️😘

Yesterday DH and I went out in the afternoon after it slowly warmed up and did some limb trimming on the street tree, the pin oak.  Branches that hang out over the street need to be kept limbed up so that the taller trucks such as garbage trucks don't hit them.  We also have a street light very near the tree and have to keep the limbs from touching or reaching it.  Then our neighbor across the street who had his mailbox knocked off by the 18 wheeler had a broken limb from that same truck and we told him we'd cut it down for him.  So more yard work in a community that supposedly takes care of outside maintenance for us.  We always find there's so much more that needs done.🙄

I hope you all have an excellent Monday!  Stay safe and keep well!

• Like 23

DD decorated her foyer celebration tree for St. Patrick's Day, removing the beautiful blush colored Valentine's Day decor which I loved.  She wants to enjoy this holiday and then quickly change over to Easter right after 3/17 because Easter is early this year - 3/31.  Several new things on the St. Pat's tree.  Looks quite festive!

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

• Like 25
  • Thanks 4

I should have said yesterday the Pilot had warned us of the shakey landing.  When we landed in Ft. Lauderdale the airport was jam packed.  MANY flights either delayed or cancelled. One person asked me where we were coming from and how long were we delayed.  We left on time and landed 10 minutes early.  I can't imaging what the travel is like toay.

Spider's Kiss cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Midori® Melon Liqueur
1 part Pinnacle® Original Vodka
Fresh Lemon Juice
Chocolate Syrup

Instructions
Draw a chocolate web into a martini glass and place in the refrigerator to chill. Combine Midori®, Pinnacle® Vodka, and lemon juice in a shaker and strain into glass. For a blood effect, drizzle grenadine down the side of the glass. Garnish with a chocolate dipped orange slice.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 7.12.38 AM.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 14

Happy Monday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Chilly today but the sun should be out. Hopefully melting the rest of this snow. 

Classes, clients, and a meeting on the schedule today. 

Very close to finishing up my data collection for my dissertation. Need a few mor responses to my survey and then it is off to the finish line. Finally. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

Monday Silly Memes, Cat Memes, Monday Again, It's Monday, Monday Quotes ...

• Like 23
  • Haha 5

Good Morning, thanks for today’s daily fleet report.  While it’s a holiday here we are both working.  Yesterday I packed for next month’s Eurodam cruise.  I’m definitely looking forward to getting away.  I’ll pass on today’s meal suggestion and we’ll have leftover chicken from Saturday. I hope everyone has a good day today.

image.png.4b62b6ef99ee94b52a6dd9268799c5e1.png

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

Good morning, on our way to Belize.  I was absent yesterday, we had an early shore excursion in Grand Cayman and we had a beer and margarita at lunch.  We came back and took a nap.  One hour fall back last night now on Central time. 

Thanks for the daily reports and maps Jacqui and Roy.  

Prayers for everyone on our care list and the people of Ukraine.  

We had a pretty drive around the east end of Grand Cayman yesterday.  It wasn't one I would have chosen but since we are not water sports people there isn't a lot to choose from.   Wine tasting event today and Pinnacle Grill this evening.  Our wonderful voyage is beginning to come to an end.  The winter has been mild back home and I hope it continues as we get home to Michigan in early March.  Have a lovely Monday! Nancy 

IMG_20240218_091342622_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240218_104448416_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240218_125147197_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240218_105618911_HDR.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I want to add my prayers today to the families of the two police officers and the fireman/paramedic who were killed at a domestic dispute call in Burnsville, Minnesota over the weekend.  A third officer was wounded. 🙏 There were 7 children in the home at the time the gunman barricaded them all in the home.  The family made it out safely and the deranged gunman was pronounced dead after the standoff.  So many times the person threatening their family members shoot at the first responders.  This same thing happened here in our town in late December and killed one of the officers.  I have a lot of respect for the first responders who help keep us safe, yet risk their lives every day.👮‍♂️

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Happy Presidents Day to all.  As always, prayers for those in need.  A big thanks to the folks who keep our thread going with much interesting information.  Though I don’t post daily I am a daily reader.

Yesterday dinner with nephew and family went very well.  It was great to finally see them in person after about 5 years.  That darn covid kept many families apart for a very long time.

We will enjoy today with its relatively warm weather.  Hope all continue to be safe and well.  Katherine 

• Like 24

Good Monday morning!

This is a wine my DH might like since Moscato is about the only type of wine he seems to like. It’s one we’ll have to try especially since it’s got a lot of 5 star ratings and is in our budget with an on line price of $13.99.

Michele Chiarlo Nivole Moscato d’Asti 2022

Winemaker Notes

A brilliant straw yellow, this fragrant Moscato d’Asti has floral aromas with notes of peach and apricot. It is creamy with fine bubbles and a crisp finish.

An excellent companion to fresh pastries and fruit such as strawberries and peaches.

Professional Ratings

• 92 Wine Enthusiast

Energetic and lifted from the start, this classic Moscato d’Asti offers aromas of white peach, mint, ginger and lime leaf. The palate is fresh with a wonderful balance between sweetness and acidity, making each sip refreshing. 

• 90 James Suckling

Pleasant sweet, floral aromas on the nose, together with a hint of chamomile. Medium-bodied with light effervescence and a clean, fruity finish. Good balance. This is always a good Moscato.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 12

Good afternoon.

It is 48°F and partly sunny now.

I had a coffee overlooking the sea early this morning then I went to do some sales calls.

Thank you to all of the regular poster's who contribute the daily information and especially the fantastic port photos.

I hope everyone has a good day.

IMG_20240219_081550.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Feb 19

Kale pesto

Simple enough to make when basil is out of season. And it uses Pepitas instead of pine nuts.

https://www.loveandlemons.com/kale-pesto/

image.thumb.png.3f55eb48888897f9ea491e2dbba3ecb0.png

This recipe from cookie and Kate uses flax seed oil and hemp seeds instead of pine nuts, which are prohibitively expensive. I have always been able to find hemp seeds at Costco in the USA and apparently whole foods has them, too.

https://cookieandkate.com/super-kale-pesto-recipe/

image.thumb.png.6d231b7df31d9fef9174fbc0714f7b00.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 13

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

DD decorated her foyer celebration tree for St. Patrick's Day, removing the beautiful blush colored Valentine's Day decor which I loved.  She wants to enjoy this holiday and then quickly change over to Easter right after 3/17 because Easter is early this year - 3/31.  Several new things on the St. Pat's tree.  Looks quite festive!

Absolutely stunning.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I want to add my prayers today to the families of the two police officers and the fireman/paramedic who were killed at a domestic dispute call in Burnsville, Minnesota over the weekend.  A third officer was wounded. 🙏 There were 7 children in the home at the time the gunman barricaded them all in the home.  The family made it out safely and the deranged gunman was pronounced dead after the standoff.  So many times the person threatening their family members shoot at the first responders.  This same thing happened here in our town in late December and killed one of the officers.  I have a lot of respect for the first responders who help keep us safe, yet risk their lives every day.👮‍♂️

So sad and condolences to the families of the First Responders.

• Like 13

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Hurrah for the Coast Guard - Happy Birthday to this essential service group.  After looking up Daisy Gatson Bates, I would heartily cheer for her as well.   International tug of war is what's currently happening between Russia and Ukraine; we all hope and pray democracy wins over tyranny.  

It's a chilly one out there again this morning at -23C (-9F), with a bit of a breeze, but nothing like yesterday's gusts that brought the temperature down way low.  It's the time of year when you never know what Mother Nature's going to throw at us, as I see by mid-week we should be at 0 (32F) for a couple of days, but then it will cool off again.  That's the reason I keep 3 different weights of jackets in the hall closet during the winter.

Happy Family Day to almost all of the provinces in Canada, and Happy Presidents Day to my American friends.  Before I retired, I remember so looking forward to that extra holiday in February just to recharge one's batteries to be able to carry on with winter.

We heard on the news about the tragedy in Minnesota with the first responders being killed - can't imagine what their families are going through.

There's not much on the agenda for us; DH has been busy going through boxes in the basement that he packed away a number of years ago when we thought there was a possibility we might move to the Okanagan Valley.  He finally decided he'd better see what's in them and has found many treasures that although he enjoyed them, is now ready to part with them either to family or as a donation to a thrift store.  I went through my blankets and realized I had 19 made that are waiting to be packed up and delivered to the drop-off place for use by needy children.  I'll finish the one I'm working on and maybe this week will take them over there.  Or not, who knows?

Although I'm not a fan of spiders, I would give the drink of the day a chance.  I know DH would love today's wine, as he's enjoys Moscato.  Interesting that someone thought of making sandpaper (kale) into pesto.  I don't mind a teeny bit of kale, but wouldn't buy enough to make pesto out of it - I'll wait until it's served somewhere before passing judgement on it.  I do know that eating too much kale can contribute to kidney stones, so there's that.  I froze some of the pulled pork from last week, so it's currently in the fridge thawing for us to have as pulled pork sandwiches along with coleslaw at the kitchen table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in grief, in pain, or who just needs a little extra.  Cheers to all who have celebrations happening today.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 26

Good morning, everyone!

It is a chilly start to the day here in mid-Michigan with a temperature of 20F.  It is supposed to get up to 39F, which would be good as it will help us rid the drive and steps of ice.  

We brought the suitcases in last night, but just left them in the entryway.  They are filled with mostly summer clothes so they can sit there until May.  Grocery shopping is on the agenda for today, but before we head there I think we need to clean a few things out of the fridge.  

Thank you to Eva @superoma for the wonderful job on the Meal of the Day while I was gone.  

• Like 25
  • Haha 2