Letting kids in the Solarium for a couple of hours-Opinions?

cruisekitty22

7 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Just read celebrity  will let   kids under 16 in  the Solarium  on cold itineraries from 5-7  pm!  Thoughts on this??  To  me, it defeats the purpose of the Solarium! There goes the peace and quiet! 

I was on a Caribbean cruise in December and there were a few kids in there during those hours and I never saw it being an issue in any way.  

I am not in favor. I chose Celebrity expressly due to less children and the adults only section. If I want to swim with kids I’ll go to the main pool.Adults only is adults only. 

• Like 11

5 hours ago, hcat said:

This should be.. it's a health issue due to hot temps, and of course the pee in tub  issues!

wish they had enforced this rule on my recent two Carnival ships.  They were newer ships but a lot of kids in hot tubs.    I try to only go in the hot tubs in the morning after they have been cleaned.

I have zero issue with this as long as it is confined to cold or bad weather cruises, is limited in hours, and the parents monitor the children.  IMHO it is incredibly unkind (I am actually thinking of other words, but they'd probably get me kicked off this thread) to not allow children to do this.  Swimming is one of the activities children most enjoy and to completely deny it to them due to bad weather is just unkind.  For heavens sake, it's only a couple of hours.  I just can't believe some of the opinions on this.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We was on the equinox in January and there was a little kid there with its parents whom seemed to enjoy making the kid scream & shout loader and louder while playing and poking it while they we’re having breakfast in the solarium… when I mentioned to the manager/crew member he seemed rather confused and didn’t seem to be aware of the sign at the entrance to the area saying over 16’s only 🤷🏼‍♂️

ps - it wasn’t cold! 

Edited by MR_T
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, odysee said:

I have no issue with it, especially since it is a small part of the day and adults have plenty of time to swim outside kids hours.  Moreover, the kids prices are not cheap on Celebrity and it is unfair if they could not enjoy a swim inside.

As my father says, "Life isn't fair." Parents should be able to tell their children, "Sorry, that pool/area is for adults. We're not going to break the rules."

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

Until Celebrity builds ships with additional pools that can be used in inclement weather, it is unfair to limit the solarium to adults only. Adults are no more deserving of access to activities that they enjoy on a cruise ship than are children.  Celebrity ships are not adult-only, and we all need to be respectful of the rights of one another as long as people, children and adults alike, behave within the norms that are established by the cruise line. I have stayed with Celebrity for 25 years because it seems to offer enough alternatives for people to enjoy their vacations as they wish, even if they sometimes must make adjustments.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

As my father says, "Life isn't fair." Parents should be able to tell their children, "Sorry, that pool/area is for adults. We're not going to break the rules."

But if the rules state that there ARE family hours, then they aren't breaking any rules, are they? 2 hours a day, when most adults are preparing for dinner, is not too much to ask, IMO.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity is going to allow children under 16 into adult pool areas on select cruises. I’m not in favor of this, parents don’t watch their children closely enough. Having an adult pool area is a good thing. Since the new president came over from RCCL it seems that Celebrity has slid with some of the changes. She seems to be trying to turn Celebrity into a slightly elevated version of RCCL. The standards before were much higher. 😢😡

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, NanPop135 said:

Celebrity is going to allow children under 16 into adult pool areas on select cruises. I’m not in favor of this, parents don’t watch their children closely enough. Having an adult pool area is a good thing. Since the new president came over from RCCL it seems that Celebrity has slid with some of the changes. She seems to be trying to turn Celebrity into a slightly elevated version of RCCL. The standards before were much higher. 😢😡

They have allowed this since well before the new president. It's limited hours and usually only in inclement weather. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mom says said:

But if the rules state that there ARE family hours, then they aren't breaking any rules, are they? 2 hours a day, when most adults are preparing for dinner, is not too much to ask, IMO.

The website says "the adults-only Solarium pool." I therefore expect only adults to be in that space, and there's no reason for parents to expect children to be allowed to swim at all. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

We needed another thread on this, I’m sure

Not surprising since 95% of people who start threads don't look to see what's already been posted.

For reference, the existing thread is

Back in 2017 on a cruise kids were always sneaking into the Solarium and no one would do anything until they complained. The kids knew they shouldn't be there so they were super good. Like a game of cat and mouse.

Don't want kids on a cruise go on a Virgin cruise I guess.