Letting kids in the Solarium for a couple of hours-Opinions?

cruisekitty22

Per the Celebrity website:

*Solarium kid’s hours available from 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm on select itineraries – Antarctica, Alaska, and the Baltics.

So, this affects only 3 out of all of Celebrity's  itineraries, for 2 hours a day. If you are such a misopaedist that you can't cope with this, then I'd recommend choosing a different cruise line to cruise those places.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NanPop135 said:

Celebrity is going to allow children under 16 into adult pool areas on select cruises. I’m not in favor of this, parents don’t watch their children closely enough. Having an adult pool area is a good thing. Since the new president came over from RCCL it seems that Celebrity has slid with some of the changes. She seems to be trying to turn Celebrity into a slightly elevated version of RCCL. The standards before were much higher. 😢😡

Link?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Please share your source for this

It has been allowed for a while. Climate or weather depending. I have cruised when it has happened and if I recall it was in the daily paper. 

I believe it was 4-6PM on our Alaska cruise last summer, not that it was particularly well enforced.  I will say that the kids seemed less bothersome than the group of adults in the hot tub.

Edited by Mark_K
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

The website says "the adults-only Solarium pool." I therefore expect only adults to be in that space, and there's no reason for parents to expect children to be allowed to swim at all. 

Yes but except for that pesky sign they put there that posts family swim hours, which was what the OP was referring too, well in addition to trying to intentionally stir the pot.

I’ve never seen the Solarium crowded in the early evening.  Most adults are either enjoying happy hour or getting ready for dinner. 

I’m as vocal as it gets when it comes to rowdy children, but I have no problem with limited times for kids when the outdoor pool isn’t practical.  I would have an issue if it were allowed all day, even in cold climates. There are other lines available for parents who want kids to have access to indoor pools at all times.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mom says said:

Per the Celebrity website:

*Solarium kid’s hours available from 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm on select itineraries – Antarctica, Alaska, and the Baltics.

So, this affects only 3 out of all of Celebrity's  itineraries, for 2 hours a day. If you are such a misopaedist that you can't cope with this, then I'd recommend choosing a different cruise line to cruise those places.

I shall wear that word (although with the American spelling) like a badge of honor! 😂

Do you know the word for "people who hate parents who think their kids belong everywhere"? If I could capture that in a single word, my day will have been made. 

P.S. It affects more than just those itineraries.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In my humble opinion this is just another decision by the new president/admin's to turn what a lot of us love about Celebrity into a more Royal Caribbean style line.

If I wanted to sail Royal I would but I choose Celebrity (or at least I did).

We love going to this area when most others are at dinner since this is about the only time it's quiet and the hot tubs are not full of people.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, prbffd28 said:

In my humble opinion this is just another decision by the new president/admin's to turn what a lot of us love about Celebrity into a more Royal Caribbean style line.

If I wanted to sail Royal I would but I choose Celebrity (or at least I did).

We love going to this area when most others are at dinner since this is about the only time it's quiet and the hot tubs are not full of people.

As many many folks have already said, this is nothing new. This was also a thing under the previous leadership. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

I shall wear that word (although with the American spelling) like a badge of honor! 😂

Do you know the word for "people who hate parents who think their kids belong everywhere"? If I could capture that in a single word, my day will have been made. 

Totally agree.  It does affect more than those itineraries.    I ve posted before about being hit with a Noodle” in the Solarium.  The mother just giggled.  And this was in the afternoon.    We also saw some boys in the Solarium pool, but didnt see any parents with them.   And, they were not well behaved.    No security around or staff.  

I m pretty sure kids are not going to be marred for life if they are told  “ no.  That is for adults only”.   Rules are for a reason

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, prbffd28 said:

except that this has been in place for many many years already!

I've seen kids there before, so nothing new. It's up to the parents to control them (ha ha), but there should be staff to get the kids out when they don't belong there, along with the parents.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

Just read celebrity  will let   kids under 16 in  the Solarium  on cold itineraries from 5-7  pm!  Thoughts on this??  To  me, it defeats the purpose of the Solarium! There goes the peace and quiet! 

This could quickly go down the rabbit hole. Who determines the weather is too cold. A lot of Alaskan sailings are quite warm during the summer months. We rarely use the solarium, esp at that time frame,so I really don't care. Imust see this ooening a can if worms. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

This could quickly go down the rabbit hole. Who determines the weather is too cold. A lot of Alaskan sailings are quite warm during the summer months. We rarely use the solarium, esp at that time frame,so I really don't care. Imust see this ooening a can if worms. 

It has been going on for a while now..every now and then, someone here gets all ruffled up.  I rarely see enough kids on Celebrity for it to matter. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bikerunner said:

No issue with this as it makes sense, tbh many of the so called adults during the day need to be banned from the solarium.  Snoring loudly, yelling across the pool etc.  Seen the people who say they are grownup act 100x worse than kids on board way to often in solarium.  

I've had problems with some of the snoring adults in the solarium who think that the Solarium should be a quiet place for them to take a nap all day long.  We were approached and hushed while we were talking in the jacuzzi (not yelling across the pool) by being informed that some people were unable to sleep.  5-7pm under 16 is fine as long as it doesn't spill into the rest of the day.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, nednrom said:

I've had problems with some of the snoring adults in the solarium who think that the Solarium should be a quiet place for them to take a nap all day long.  We were approached and hushed while we were talking in the jacuzzi (not yelling across the pool) by being informed that some people were unable to sleep.  5-7pm under 16 is fine as long as it doesn't spill into the rest of the day.

lol.. I will talk if I want too!!  It isn't a bedroom. It is a public space. The spa staff call these sleepers human ash trays.. mouth wide open 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, nednrom said:

We were approached and hushed while we were talking in the jacuzzi (not yelling across the pool) by being informed that some people were unable to sleep.  

I would have asked why they didn’t have a cabin to sleep in…

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

It has been going on for a while now..every now and then, someone here gets all ruffled up.  I rarely see enough kids on Celebrity for it to matter. 

Exactly and I’ll take happy, playful kids every day of the week over loud, boorish, sloppy and drunk adults.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

How about curmudgeon or termagant, depending on gender? Why do iget the feeling that you are the angry neighbour' who stands on the porch yelling at everyone to get off your lawn?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

Let me help. "Entitled". American spelling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1