Letting kids in the Solarium for a couple of hours-Opinions?

cruisekitty22

35 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I'm not sure how you're measuring success. That said, it's only been a minor course correction so far.

I would measure success by seeing more younger people on board.  I am not seeing it. 

Of course I am not going on any of the shorter cruises...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I would measure success by seeing more younger people on board.  I am not seeing it. 

I just sailed 7 night Apex and would guess it was easily 50% under 50's and more in their 20's than I've ever had on any Celebrity sailing. It was a packed pool deck and dance floor. The vibe was much younger and livelier than the Beyond one year ago to date, same week/same port of departure. 

My observation is that Celebrity is without a doubt reaching their new younger target. 

Patty 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The Ascent crowd in Jan of this year seemed younger to me, we met several couples on honeymoons etc in their younger. 30’s..hardly any little kids on board..was a 7 day..

I want to sail on a Celebrity to Coco Cay to check out the new adult only area, looks good on the videos I have seen..

Edited by PTC DAWG

7 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Hmmm.  So far this younger crowd seems to be isolated to short 7 day or less E class and perhaps Carribean?

Not sure about that either... 🤔

Sailed Gk Isles Beyond 11night in the first week of September and it was much younger than the 7 night Caribbean Beyond in Feb. 

If Celebrity's "End Game" is younger with money, IMO they're winning! 

Other than the constant swaying, we had a fantastic cruise. The Apex was the most fun I've had on a Celebrity/Winter Escape sailing in many years. The Pool deck was a roar, the dance party events were a huge hit, silent disco is popular enough they are holding them twice now, the MDR was much improved, the staff were all wonderful and seemed super happy. 

I honestly see the changes are working for them, 

Patty 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cw2go said:

Sailed Gk Isles Beyond 11night in the first week of September and it was much younger than the 7 night Caribbean Beyond in Feb. 

Other than the constant swaying, we had a fantastic cruise. The Apex was the most fun I've had on a Celebrity/Winter Escape sailing in many years. The Pool deck was a roar, the dance party events were a huge hit, silent disco is popular enough they are holding them twice now, the MDR was much improved, the staff were all wonderful and seemed super happy. 

Patty 

I agree..I’m 60 and love the younger vibe, music etc..

• Like 2

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

I agree..I’m 60 and love the younger vibe, music etc..

I am 56 hubby is 59, recently retired and we would love CoCoCay! I could lounge at the adults only beach and he could exhaust his inner child. 😁

My kids never cared about water slides or rock walls but my hubby did and still does. We just sailed on RCCL in Dec for a quick trip to Labadee, between the Flow Rider and Zip Line he was in his glory! 

Patty 

7 minutes ago, cw2go said:

Patty 

OK.  Sounds like E class then.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

OK.  Sounds like E class then.

Sounds like no data on S or M Class...

Honestly wasn't something I was paying attention to on Equinox in November. It was an 11 night cruise, so it did seem older, but I do remember quite a few "younger" passengers on our excursions. But I'm a horrible judge of age. 

13 minutes ago, markeb said:

Sounds like no data on S or M Class...

Honestly wasn't something I was paying attention to on Equinox in November. It was an 11 night cruise, so it did seem older, but I do remember quite a few "younger" passengers on our excursions. But I'm a horrible judge of age. 

I can tell you on my M class cruise the age was way up there (older than myself 🙂).  

It is starting to sound like Celebrity is running two different cruise lines.  One for E class and the other for S and M.

Edited by NMTraveller

30 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I can tell you on my M class cruise the age was way up there (older than myself 🙂).  

It is starting to sound like Celebrity is running two different cruise lines.  One for E class and the other for S and M.

Last TA there were 6 children on board and about 7 or 8 in the 18-20 area.

Thank you for my laugh of the day.  Was not aware Celebrity offered S & M cruises.  

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, 1Virgo said:

in my previous post, I mentioned there were no staff around.   

So what did you say to the mom or the unsupervised children in the Solarium during family time?

And as far as the “vibe” I can listen to Billy Idol on my own.  I don’t cruise to go to a nightclub.  Taylor Swift?  Has she sold any albums?

Edited by zitsky

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

but some of the younger crowd does not want to cruise with the older crowd!  many posts ask about the  age of cruisers who sail on.......?

I don't know that it's that so much as not wanting to be in the 20th percentile for age...

I'm pretty sure I asked a similar question years ago when considering Celebrity after years on Royal. In my early 50's. One thing about Celebrity is for the most part age hasn't been a great predictor of the crowd. The Celebrity crowd has largely been "young" for actual chronologic age. Other than the love for really bad '70s music 😁.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Me too!  I’ve always said I’d rather be the older  folks in a younger crowd that the younger folks in an older crowd. 

That seems a bit insulting to older passengers.  It sounds like what my husband says about Viking.

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

That seems a bit insulting to older passengers.  It sounds like what my husband says about Viking.

Well, you’re the one posting here. Pick a side. Is it insulting or not? Are you condoning or condemning what your husband says about viking?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

What do you consider older passengers ? 🤣🤣

The two couples playing blackjack a couple cruises ago.  Youngest was 95.Oldesr 99.  Age is relative not just a chronological number.  They danced up a storm every night.

Think we all agree during school and/or longer cruises makes for an older group.

Average on my last TA was 66 according to purser.  A recent Christmas/New Years cruise just 32. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

What do you consider older passengers ? 🤣🤣

My husband has an issue with a tour being delayed because of the 20 people with their walkers who can’t keep up with the rest of the group.  Common sense would be to just have separate groups.  In our brief experience with Viking on 4 cruises, they didn’t always do that.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, zitsky said:

My husband has an issue with a tour being delayed because of the 20 people with their walkers who can’t keep up with the rest of the group.  Common sense would be to just have separate groups.  In our brief experience with Viking on 4 cruises, they didn’t always do that.

This is a fair point..IMHO

50 minutes ago, zitsky said:

This. 

I have been on tours that had to skip the last stop/stops due to people with walkers and oxygen tanks on carts slowing down everyone else. Got a refund, but still, it takes all the fun out of the excursion.

Edited by Meltdown

21 hours ago, RichYak said:

The post you quoted has nothing to do with enforcing rules. It's about Celebrity changing their target demographic.

Did they actually change the target or did many of the long timers just age out of whatever the target was? If your target is 40-55 eventually people in that segment are no longer in that segment....

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Meltdown said:

This. 

I have been on tours that had to skip the last stop/stops due to people with walkers and oxygen tanks on carts slowing down everyone else. Got a refund, but still, it takes all the fun out of the excursion.

Was that on Viking?  We recently visited a friend (75) who just moved to a CCRC retirement community.  My husband said he wanted to cry because it was so depressing.  It reinforced our desire to stay in place and get in home care like our neighbor who lives alone and is a cancer survivor.

Bringing this back on topic, Celebrity has family time to let us older people (late 50s) have some exercise when we chase the kids out of the pool and hot tubs.