No deck 13 on Eclipse?

LB_NJ

14 minutes ago, jelayne said:

No deck 13 on any Celebrity ship.

14 minutes ago, luv2camp04 said:

Most cruise ships (and hotels, office buildings, etc...) do not have a level 13.

I know many don't, just didn't realize it applied to Celebrity.

14 minutes ago, jelayne said:

No deck 13 on any Celebrity ship.

Never been on a Celebrity ship with more than 12 decks.

59 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

MSC have a deck 13 but no deck 17 on their ships as it is an unlucky number in the Italian culture. 

I am 100% Italian and I can still remember when my Grandmother told me "17" was an unlucky number. When I told her many, many, many years ago that my friend, (who was dating her fiance' for 3 years) was getting married on the 17th, her immediate response was...."that's not a good date" .....she was right. Six months later they were separated.

P.S. My husband and I were married the on the 24th and have been married for over 50 years!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

MSC have a deck 13 but no deck 17 on their ships as it is an unlucky number in the Italian culture. 

On the World Class ships they eliminated deck 13 along with not having a deck 17 to cover all their bases.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

S and E class have more than 12.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doghog said:

We've got a September cruise booked on the Edge. The cruise leaves on Friday the 13th. Looking forward to the cruise. 😁🍻

The last time we left on a cruise that departed on Friday the 13th was on 3/13/2020. 2 days later we were told that we would be returning to port since the world was shutting down for Covid! 

1 hour ago, Blueseas109 said:

I’m Italian and got married on the 17th (37 years). I have never heard of 17 being unlucky and our grandparents were from Italy.

Wonder if it depends on what part of Italy they come from. Maternal Grandmother who said this was from Naples. Had no input from my Fraternal Grandmother who was from Sicily.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

But why is it unlucky? -->Some believe that this belief started in Ancient Rome because when the number 17 is viewed as the Roman numeral XVII, and then changed anagrammatically to VIXI, it reminds Italians of the Latin language phrase that translates to "I have lived," which can be understood as, "My life is over."

On 2/21/2024 at 5:57 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

Makes no sense as MSC is a Swiss company. However it is true that 13 is not unlucky in Italy. I believe Virgin ships have a Deck 13 but that maybe wrong.

38 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Makes no sense as MSC is a Swiss company. However it is true that 13 is not unlucky in Italy. I believe Virgin ships have a Deck 13 but that maybe wrong.

MSC is headquartered in Swiss nowadays but it sure has Italian roots, Italian offficers, Italian made ships etc. MSC Crociere/Cruises is a sub company from Mediterranean Shipping Company.

On 2/21/2024 at 12:46 PM, LB_NJ said:

Solstice class ships have 15 and Edge class have 16.

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

From the “about” page on MSC…

Mediterranean Shipping Company S.A, branded as MSC is an international shipping line founded by Gianluigi Aponte in Italy in 1970. The company is owned by the Aponte family with its headquarters in Switzerland since 1978.

My guess is there must be some financial benefit to headquartering in Switzerland but they are definitely Italian. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FreestyleNovice said:

MSC is headquartered in Swiss nowadays but it sure has Italian roots, Italian offficers, Italian made ships etc. MSC Crociere/Cruises is a sub company from Mediterranean Shipping Company.

It’s a 100% Swiss owned.

It’s about as Italian as Costa Cruises, or as British as Cunard/P and O, or even the famous Norwegian Line Hurtigruten which is British owned.

Celebrity has lots of Greek Officers but that isn’t a Greek Line.

On 2/21/2024 at 2:22 PM, doghog said:

We've got a September cruise booked on the Edge. The cruise leaves on Friday the 13th. Looking forward to the cruise. 😁🍻

That in of itself wouldn't be of concern, but if your booking confirmation indicates a stateroom starting with "13" as the deck prefix, you may want to call whomever you booked it with - LOL.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Royal's Quantum class have deck 13's.

Yes, but that would be RCCL, not Celebrity.  And although they are sister companies under the RCI parent company, they are operated separately and independently.  Perhaps Celebrity is just more superstitious.....