Staffing issues in the MDR.

We have just returned from 22 nights on the Oosterdam. It was our 3rd cruise with HAL (1st Hal cruise after Covid) but we have cruised a lot and generally most dining rooms operate similarly until this one.

We were very disappointed in the MDR dining experience, it seemed to be very hit and miss as some nights the service was fine and others it was atrocious. The food was good to great but the service was far from it. It wasn't just slow but there were many mistakes with orders. I cannot comment for the Traditional dining as we were open dining.

On one night we were seated for 1 hour before our orders were taken, service was generally  very slow and it seemed to me that there were staff missing compared with other cruises we have been on. We were not the only ones to notice the bad service, as others had also mentioned it when mentioned.  Many staff seemed inexperienced and also got orders wrong, and in some cases forgot orders altogether.

My questions are,

Was it just our cruise/ ship, or is it occuring fleet wide?,

is it cost cutting having less staff doing more?

Cheers Mic

Based on the "Live From" threads currently here on CC from several ships, the overall reports are that service is generally good to excellent! Previous Antarctica cruise reports from Oosterdam in the last couple of months are posted here also. I don't remember what they were saying about service but can go check.

Unfortunately, it sounds like there is currently a management/training/staffing issue on Oosterdam. 🙁  It's a shame you had negative experiences.

Did you report the problems to the dining room manager?  What was their response? 

~Nancy

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Service on the Volendam is great. 
I wonder if the Oosterdam had a recent turn-over of crew and staff. 

Excellent news,

I know there was some staff turnover as we saw numerous crew debarking and embarking at some ports on the cruise but do not know if they were all dining staff.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Based on the "Live From" threads currently here on CC from several ships, the overall reports are that service is generally good to excellent! Previous Antarctica cruise reports from Oosterdam in the last couple of months are posted here also. I don't remember what they were saying about service but can go check.

Unfortunately, it sounds like there is currently a management/training/staffing issue on Oosterdam. 🙁  It's a shame you had negative experiences.

Did you report the problems to the dining room manager?  What was their response? 

~Nancy

I will have a look as well.

Some issues were reported, like I said it was hit and miss. The managers said they will try to do better.

Some nights it was fine but then others it was atrocious. The staff were quite busy which is why I thought they may be stretched. 

It isn't consistent on HAL it seems.  My experience in the MDR on my cruises has mostly been very good and the occasional poor service seemed to be one offs and the next day everything was ok.  I sure hope you have a better time next cruise! 

I'm hopeful things are improving based on current reports about entertainment, food and itineraries.  My next cruise is in May on Zuiderdam.  🙂

~Nancy

• Like 2

@MicCanberra I’m sorry the you had inconsistent experiences in the MDR.  My experience was totally different but I had fixed seating.  Since I didn’t spend much time talking about the dining room service on my LIVE thread, I thought I would take a few minutes to make my comments here.

We had a wonderful table for two in the third floor dining room.  We were seated by the Assistant Dining room manager on the first night, I believe her name was Dina.  Every night she greeted us by name and stopped by our table to check that everything was ok.  One night she noticed my wine glass was empty and a new glass of wine appeared within minutes. When she saw us in the MDR for breakfast, she always stopped by to speak to us.  One day I requested an extra napkin, she got it herself instead of asking a server to get it for us.  I feel like our relationship with her improved all of our MDR experiences.

Our server Arief and his assistant Rov were outstanding.  After the first night, they knew our likes and dislikes.  We would sit down and put our key cards on the table.  They would immediately appear to ask for our drink order.  After a few nights, they realized we drank the same thing every night and our drinks were always there within five minutes of being seated.  They knew not to bring the bread basket, that I wanted extra vegetables, that we wouldn’t order dessert until we finished eating, that I drank tea every night after dinner.  I believe our relationship with them improved our experience, particularly on a longer cruise.  

They had 2 tables of eight, 2 tables of four and a table for two.  As a former server, that is a lot of people to serve when they are all seated at the same time.  We began to arrive 15 minutes after the assigned seating time to avoid the initial rush and they seemed grateful. One of the tables for eight was 4 adults and 4 children; the children were well mannered and cute but required additional attention.  

We found the food to be good to very good.  It was served hot and in a timely fashion.  We were usually in the dining room for about 1.5 hours.

One of the reasons we choose fixed dining is so we can build relationships with the staff.  I feel this enhances our onboard experience.  When we do not have fixed dining, we ask to be seated in the same section with the same servers for every meal.  

I have been on 6 HAL cruises since the pandemic  The staffing and service has improved on every cruise.  I believe we are almost back to pre pandemic levels.  I hope that your negative experience in the MDR is not what you remember the most about our wonderful cruise.  This is what I will remember most…IMG_9285.thumb.jpeg.608682bd5a16529c8c1975513716f78d.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

It will be hit in miss on all ships and especially if turnover in a port. Many cruisers report good service there are days when things are amiss. Best to note it in Navigator and speak with staff supervisor/matre d'. They will make it priority next night. There are many new crew in dining and kitchen. Training is an issue according to Management. I've read reports that MDR was chaotic, late ordering, miscooked food, etc. But usually the good will overshadow the bad. It also depends when you eat as busier times are more prone to slip ups. (And on Pinnacle ships it can get crazy so we try not to eat in MDR). Our last Eurodam the MDR was slow and food okay when we ate but Pinnacle and Tamarind were both a miss with delay service, overcooked or missed food, etc. But I'm sure others had good meals. You hit a wrong moment, but yes post shutdown things are different and hopefully working towards better with feedback provided to HAL. 

• Like 3

I know people don't like to talk about it, but service may still be impacted by Covid onboard ships. I don't think servers are allowed to work if they test positive (and IMO they shouldn't be exposing others). If there is Covid going around on a ship, like there was on the November TA on Nieuw Statendam, then I imagine service can get stretched.

• Like 3

We have found that most ship worker like routine including servers . If they see the same people at the same time at the same table they establish a rapport and routine with you . That's why when we eat in the MDR we choose a fixed time . The same goes for the room attendants if know when we're out they usually tidy up when they know that we're gone . 

The advice from @VMax1700 works well also to help correct issues . But we mainly use it to commend good service which helps deserving people move up in pay scale with promotions . It may help if you with future HAL cruises , while you're on the cruise .

Cheers Mic and Rosie 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We have found that most ship worker like routine including servers . If they see the same people at the same time at the same table they establish a rapport and routine with you . That's why when we eat in the MDR we choose a fixed time .

Agree.

This is the value proposition for fixed dining.  We love it.  Based on our experience, when we have strayed from fixed dining over the years, we have regretted it......From what I've observed, it is so much more efficient for both the passenger and the dining room staff when in fixed dining.

(Before getting counseled on here, I realize any time dining should work well and you should expect great service no matter the dining experience you choose...just passing along our observation and experience over the years....If it's not fixed dining, we do not want it....FWIW)

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

We are on the Zuiderdam and the service is good.

I was on the Grand African cruise and thought it was okay but waiters were racing around all over the dining room carrying trays and trying to get people and  bus dishes.  On a just completed Princess cruise in the Gulf of Mexico things seemed smooth and a lot more professional.  Their restaurant management was monitoring performance, giving advice, demonstrating techniques, writing notes and weren't also rushing around to refill drinks and assist in routine duties.  I think HAL is understaffed.

• Like 2

My successful strategy on the Oosterdam last month was to do anytime dining until I found a team that was a good fit for us.  We then went to the manager and had that table blocked out for us.  It did take 4 or 5 evenings before we found that team. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

I personally would never choose open dining. It can't help but be chaotic in this setting. 

It may also depend on time of dinner for open seating. We try to eat (if in MDR) before or after the rush of fixed times or "anytime" bottleneck and usually try to get the same section if available. We no longer do fixed as we are not reliable MDR eaters and don't want to leave open seats at a table causing others eating alone if we decide we are not up to or can't make dinner on time. But both can have issues if the kitchen is trying to handle a rush. The key is to nicely respond to someone or Navigator so they can review and try better. Usually doesn't happen every night, especially if they flag you 😉.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We have found that most ship worker like routine including servers . If they see the same people at the same time at the same table they establish a rapport and routine with you . That's why when we eat in the MDR we choose a fixed time . The same goes for the room attendants if know when we're out they usually tidy up when they know that we're gone . 

The advice from @VMax1700 works well also to help correct issues . But we mainly use it to commend good service which helps deserving people move up in pay scale with promotions . It may help if you with future HAL cruises , while you're on the cruise .

Cheers Mic and Rosie 

I like fixed dining, too. I hate that waitstaff have to take drink orders in the MDR. The sommelier only deals with whole bottle purchases. So my waiter had to fetch my glass of wine on top of all his other fetching. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

So my waiter had to fetch my glass of wine on top of all his other fetching. 

Our waiter entered our drink orders into a computer.  A beverage server delivered them to our table, not our waiter.  It was the same two people every night for 22 days.  We got to know them too and wherever we saw them on the ship they greeted us by name.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 0106 said:

@MicCanberra I’m sorry the you had inconsistent experiences in the MDR.  My experience was totally different but I had fixed seating.  Since I didn’t spend much time talking about the dining room service on my LIVE thread, I thought I would take a few minutes to make my comments here.

We had a wonderful table for two in the third floor dining room.  We were seated by the Assistant Dining room manager on the first night, I believe her name was Dina.  Every night she greeted us by name and stopped by our table to check that everything was ok.  One night she noticed my wine glass was empty and a new glass of wine appeared within minutes. When she saw us in the MDR for breakfast, she always stopped by to speak to us.  One day I requested an extra napkin, she got it herself instead of asking a server to get it for us.  I feel like our relationship with her improved all of our MDR experiences.

Our server Arief and his assistant Rov were outstanding.  After the first night, they knew our likes and dislikes.  We would sit down and put our key cards on the table.  They would immediately appear to ask for our drink order.  After a few nights, they realized we drank the same thing every night and our drinks were always there within five minutes of being seated.  They knew not to bring the bread basket, that I wanted extra vegetables, that we wouldn’t order dessert until we finished eating, that I drank tea every night after dinner.  I believe our relationship with them improved our experience, particularly on a longer cruise.  

They had 2 tables of eight, 2 tables of four and a table for two.  As a former server, that is a lot of people to serve when they are all seated at the same time.  We began to arrive 15 minutes after the assigned seating time to avoid the initial rush and they seemed grateful. One of the tables for eight was 4 adults and 4 children; the children were well mannered and cute but required additional attention.  

We found the food to be good to very good.  It was served hot and in a timely fashion.  We were usually in the dining room for about 1.5 hours.

One of the reasons we choose fixed dining is so we can build relationships with the staff.  I feel this enhances our onboard experience.  When we do not have fixed dining, we ask to be seated in the same section with the same servers for every meal.  

I have been on 6 HAL cruises since the pandemic  The staffing and service has improved on every cruise.  I believe we are almost back to pre pandemic levels.  I hope that your negative experience in the MDR is not what you remember the most about our wonderful cruise.  This is what I will remember most…IMG_9285.thumb.jpeg.608682bd5a16529c8c1975513716f78d.jpeg

Hi Tina

The food was very good to great, it was the service which was inconsistent. It certainly didn't ruin our cruise, the itinerary more than makes up for that but it was such a turn off that it has made us wary about booking HAL again. As mentioned we were open dining, one night we did get brought up to a empty table on the 3rd floor and service was absolutely fantastic. This just highlighted the difference between the servers and service.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, REOVA said:

It will be hit in miss on all ships and especially if turnover in a port. Many cruisers report good service there are days when things are amiss. Best to note it in Navigator and speak with staff supervisor/matre d'. They will make it priority next night. There are many new crew in dining and kitchen. Training is an issue according to Management. I've read reports that MDR was chaotic, late ordering, miscooked food, etc. But usually the good will overshadow the bad. It also depends when you eat as busier times are more prone to slip ups. (And on Pinnacle ships it can get crazy so we try not to eat in MDR). Our last Eurodam the MDR was slow and food okay when we ate but Pinnacle and Tamarind were both a miss with delay service, overcooked or missed food, etc. But I'm sure others had good meals. You hit a wrong moment, but yes post shutdown things are different and hopefully working towards better with feedback provided to HAL. 

Okay, so we are not the only ones or on the only ship. I do hope it is more consistently good service in the future.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Okay, so we are not the only ones or on the only ship. I do hope it is more consistently good service in the future.

FWIW - I do find service far better in fixed dining than anytime.  I saw a huge difference

• Like 6