Sewing kit or service?

carlmm

3 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Is it possible to get a sewing kit on board? How?

Does Celebrity offer a sewing/mendig service eg. for a fee?

I always travel with a small sewing kit so I have never needed to ask for one. However, I am aware guest relations does stock a range of items for guests who have had lost/delayed luggage so I guess that would be the place to ask.

One  cruise I had a disaster with my most comfortable sandals when the buckle came off. Our butler took it away and it came back repaired at no charge. I would assume with all the soft furnishings on board and uniforms there is the capability for minor repairs. If you do have a problem on board ask your butler/stateroom attendant for advice. Obviously , when receiving such service ‘free’ it is customary to offer a tip….

• Thanks 1

Besides a sewing kit, an eyeglass repair kit would be helpful to have at guest services. Here's what happened to me on one of my cruises.  A lens came out of the frame of my glasses. I went to guest services to see if they had something to repair this. They did not but told me  to go to the jewelry shop because they have small tools. They were also of no help.

I ask my room steward if he had anything  and he said no. As I was talking about this, a guest walked by and overheard my request. The guest had an eyeglass repair kit. He kindly fixed my glasses.  I now take an old pair along just in case.

When I received the survey after the cruise, I mentioned that having an eyeglass repair kit at guest services might be a good idea.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, WELDON said:

Besides a sewing kit, an eyeglass repair kit would be helpful to have at guest services. Here's what happened to me on one of my cruises.  A lens came out of the frame of my glasses. I went to guest services to see if they had something to repair this. They did not but told me  to go to the jewelry shop because they have small tools. They were also of no help.

I ask my room steward if he had anything  and he said no. As I was talking about this, a guest walked by and overheard my request. The guest had an eyeglass repair kit. He kindly fixed my glasses.  I now take an old pair along just in case.

When I received the survey after the cruise, I mentioned that having an eyeglass repair kit at guest services might be a good idea.

I always take one...maybe it was me.😜

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, carlmm said:

I am not aware of any such on board provided service - just bring your own small kit.  Very inexpensive and easy to source.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

I am lucky to have a closet where I can keep travel items and it is stocked with travel size sewing kit, eye glass repair kit and a dental repair kit.  Needed the eye glass kit but then could not see well enough to put in the miniature screw.......

• Haha 1

Not sue if they discontinued but they use to have sewing kits in Suites.    I'm sure it isn't just a suite perk but I have had a small repair done by calling my Butler.    I tore a seam out of the cuffs of my pants.   He took it to the laundry and was back within hours.

I know they have sewing machines on board because they also monogram or write your name on  the PJ's for upper suites.  

If not in a suite I'm sure you could just ask your stateroom attendant.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, carlmm said:

My cummerbund came apart and I mentioned it to my cabin attendant. He found a crew member who sewed it up. So think you can always find someone on a ship to do repairs if you inquire. 

8 hours ago, WELDON said:

same thing except that a staff member at guest relations shared her own kit

5 hours ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Needed the eye glass kit but then could not see well enough to put in the miniature screw.......

I always carry a spare pair of glasses. A couple of times a screw came out over the years but both times found an optical shop at the next port and they fixed it. I have one of those minature screw drivers but that only works if I can find the screw. Before any travel I try to remember to tighten the screws. 

Travel sewing kits are readily available where travel supplies are found. Eyeglass and dental repair kits can usually be found at pharmacies. Mine live in the small bag that holds my travel pharmacy and first aid supplies.

18 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Thank you all!

The problem has appeared while I am aleady on my way to the cruise.

It looks like there will be something found on board.

Another source of help is the theatre - costumes need constant attention. We always travel with a sewing kit, glasses repair kit, spare glasses, scotch tape, and shoelaces. 

4 hours ago, the penguins said:

Another source of help is the theatre - costumes need constant attention. We always travel with a sewing kit, glasses repair kit, spare glasses, scotch tape, and shoelaces. 

if you can find one of the cast and tip them. It is one cast member who does most of the theater sewing. We had a chat one a gal who had this extra job and she said that she came with no sewing skills

22 hours ago, SbbquilterUT said:

I am lucky to have a closet where I can keep travel items and it is stocked with travel size sewing kit, eye glass repair kit and a dental repair kit.  Needed the eye glass kit but then could not see well enough to put in the miniature screw.......

I too have a cupboard where I keep all my travel sized supplies including eyeglass repair, sewing kit, dental repair. Always carry extra glasses, you don’t want to spend you vacation time looking for these items.

On 3/1/2024 at 6:28 AM, WELDON said:

We always travel EVERYWHERE with a sewing kit, and a small screwdriver and a couple screws for glasses.

The jewelry store does have the needed screwdrivers.  Some staff are more helpful.than others.

Both items weigh about 2oz or less.  Just put in checked luggage, not carry-on. 

I just came off the Ascent. There is a tailor onboard who does such clothing pairs.  We were not charged and we sailed with the commoners. No suite.

Ask your cabin steward or at guest services.  There is usually a crew member or two that do repairs for other crew members and would like to earn a few more dollars.  EM

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the answers and assistance.

To report back on my current experience: On the Infinity I got a sewing kit from the guest relations desk. Actually they gave me two "just in case".

• Like 2