Less kids

We usually cruise during the school year to avoid children but don’t have a choice this time. Would June, July or August be better to avoid a barrage of kids or will it not make any difference? No offense to those bringing their children, it’s my problem. There’s a cruise leaving Aug 28 th out of NYC but from what I see, school doesn’t start until mid Sept. 

I would think your 'late August' date will be as good as any in the summer. Many schools nationwide are back in session by then.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

My guess is that would be the best as well.  Some states (specifically in the Northeast), they go back before labor day.  Op, love your name btw.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Haha 5

Schools restart here in the south in early August…but they get out mid-May.  When I lived in NYC they went until late June, but started later also.  I might speculate you would have more kids in late August from NYC.  It’s a gamble.  EM

• Like 2

I have family in NY (where I grew up) and we always started school after labor day.  My nieces and nephew still go back after Labor day currently.  You might want to double check on that date especially if the date you are looking at runs into the Labor day weekend.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I don't see a difference in number of kids no matter what months I sail, same as going to Disney...August...October..February...May  no noticeable lessening of kids

Yeah it is not like back in the day when you needed permission from the school.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gladys Kravitz said:

We usually cruise during the school year to avoid children but don’t have a choice this time. Would June, July or August be better to avoid a barrage of kids or will it not make any difference? No offense to those bringing their children, it’s my problem. There’s a cruise leaving Aug 28 th out of NYC but from what I see, school doesn’t start until mid Sept. 

Early June might be all right, since some school districts are still working until then.  Late August is probably safer, for reasons mentioned by other posters.

• Like 1

Definitely will have more kids during the Summer months. Do a 6+ day voyage if you want to avoid as many kids as possible. And the later in the Summer the better. I did a 6-day over Labor Day last year, not that many kids.

• Like 1

Specific dates may help you:  My district here on Long Island goes back 9/3, as do other local districts.   NYC schools go back 9/5.  Late August cruise might be best, or early June, before schools let out here in NY.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

I don't see a difference in number of kids no matter what months I sail, same as going to Disney...August...October..February...May  no noticeable lessening of kids

So true. while school schedules may factor into it a bit its the Parents who make the decision on when to travel.  Our family cruises were never dependent on when my son was out of school.

• Like 1

DH and I are cruising over Labor Day weekend on an 8 day cruise to Bermuda from Baltimore.  I'm thinking there will be fewer children.  As long as the little varmits stay out of Serenity, I'm good!😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It's not the kids that bother me as much as the parents that let their kids run wild and create havoc in hallways at night and clog up all the hot tubs. No offense intended, I raised mine to be respectful... I guess times have changed.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, ober134 said:

It's not the kids that bother me as much as the parents that let their kids run wild and create havoc in hallways at night and clog up all the hot tubs. No offense intended, I raised mine to be respectful... I guess times have changed.

Exactly...Security needs to round up kids running wild, take them to Guest Services and page their parents to come get.  

• Like 6

Just now, Elaine5715 said:

Exactly...Security needs to round up kids running wild, take them to Guest Services and page their parents to come get.  

7 minutes ago, ober134 said:

I've had parents sit in the hot tub as their child proceeds to dive and kick out water at the other people in the hot tub.  I tell the child to please stop kicking and mom gives me a side-eye like I was Cruella de Ville.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

I've had parents sit in the hot tub as their child proceeds to dive and kick out water at the other people in the hot tub.  I tell the child to please stop kicking and mom gives me a side-eye like I was Cruella de Ville.

For those parents, I press the elevator buttons for everyone before Precious gets a chance and then get off first stop after the meltdown starts.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

I don't think given your situation it's going to matter too much.

If you're leaving out of NYC, I would go June.   I know school got out for us in NJ in mid June.   I don't see too many people in the Southeast (which is usually out at the end of May) heading to NYC for departure with so many ports in Florida.    July and August would be a hit or miss.  I'd think that towards the end of August may be lesser - with people getting ready for school to start up, school supplies, outfits and all that - no time/money for a cruise.  But that is hypothetical! 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, ober134 said:

Says every parent of a previous generation!😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, salty dingo said:

You may find them during the school year also. My Feb. 18th cruise on Panorama was chock full of kids

That’s a week long winter break for many in the northeast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, salty dingo said:

You may find them during the school year also. My Feb. 18th cruise on Panorama was chock full of kids

That was February recess here.  Maybe everyone went to sail on her - lol.  Or maybe because schools elsewhere were off that Monday (Presidents Day)  the parents decided to take kids on a cruise!  I used to cruise that week when I was teaching.  Now that I am retired I can cruise on the "off" weeks when school is in session - much cheaper, also!