Container Ship Struck Key Bridge in Baltimore, Bridge has Collapsed

2 hours ago, BND said:

Wouldn't want facts to get in the way of anyone's feelings.

Then try not to get so offended when people add to your posts, then.  You don't need to react to everyone quoting you.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

Then try not to get so offended when people add to your posts, then.  You don't need to react to everyone quoting you.

Add to my posts?  What exactly does that mean?   I'm not allowed to post after someone quotes me? Whew, I'm glad you let me know. LOL

25 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I just read where the first ship had arrived in Baltimore since the accident.  I thought they were only allowing the “trapped” ships to exit.  Didn’t realize they were allowing new ships to enter the harbor.

That gets the port some business till they can open the deep channel.

• Like 1

I've seen a couple of small tankers go in, and the MSC Cargo Passion III was the container ship.  She is very small (1000 TEU containers, opposed to the Dali's 10,000), so her draft was not a problem, and a lot of her deck containers were refrigerated, so high value.  I think the hope was to bring in some car carriers, but I don't think that happened.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Don't know if it's the first, but I see American Cruise Line's American Independence using the temporary channels to reach Baltimore, so cruises have returned to Baltimore.

We saw that, too, but are wondering where she will dock, as the terminal is being used as command center.

15 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Don't know if it's the first, but I see American Cruise Line's American Independence using the temporary channels to reach Baltimore, so cruises have returned to Baltimore.

Out of curiosity I looked at their prices. My goodness. A 7 night cruise just touring Maryland and Virginia is more per person than I paid for three in a grand suite next month for an 8 night cruise on RC.

3 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I mean I understand why. But jeez. 

Reality sucks, when it smacks you right between the eyes.  As I've said many times, Marad has shown that it costs three times as much to operate a US flag ship over a foreign flag one (and that is for a cargo ship, let alone a cruise ship).  And, this shows why cruise lines are not pushing for repeal of the PVSA, as they are afraid the concessions they have to make to get the repeal would force them into some of these costly requirements that US flag ships have to meet.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I mean I understand why. But jeez. 

Some of that extra cost is also due to the size of those ships - when compared to say a European river cruise, the costs become a bit closer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

In that case we should all be thankful to the Bahamas.

Yes, as long as you are not expecting the full protections and rights of US law, then by all means embrace foreign flag ships.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, as long as you are not expecting the full protections and rights of US law, then by all means embrace foreign flag ships.

I don't expect the rights of US law the minute I step out of the country.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Out of curiosity I looked at their prices. My goodness. A 7 night cruise just touring Maryland and Virginia is more per person than I paid for three in a grand suite next month for an 8 night cruise on RC.

Pre-covid we stayed at Pier 5 hotel (inner harbor) and saw one of their cruise ships docked there.   I had never heard of them and check out their pricing online and was in shock and that was the fall of 2019.   

• Like 1