Regretting Booking Our Sun Princess Cruise

Brennivan

So we booked a three week cruise on the Sun Princess in July.  After reading all the terrible dining reviews I am wishing I didn’t just make final payment.  Food is reportedly sub par.  Was told we can make reservations early on the app.  Not one single time slot is available for not one single restaurant on any day for any time.  This new ship is in use.  No shows that were promised.  I have read 45 minute waits for dining rooms.  Then extremely slow service.  Many reports of not enough staff.   I am regretting booking this ship and wish I just went with another ship or line

• Like 1

Might be too far out in advance to book dining. And the “no shows” problem at launch surely won’t be an issue in July. The Sun is still in the shakedown stage. Since the days of the Titanic we have come to understand that you don’t judge a ship by its maiden voyage. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Brennivan said:

So we booked a three week cruise on the Sun Princess in July.  After reading all the terrible dining reviews I am wishing I didn’t just make final payment.  Food is reportedly sub par.  Was told we can make reservations early on the app.  Not one single time slot is available for not one single restaurant on any day for any time.  This new ship is in use.  No shows that were promised.  I have read 45 minute waits for dining rooms.  Then extremely slow service.  Many reports of not enough staff.   I am regretting booking this ship and wish I just went with another ship or line

The journey portion on the app will not have data for quite some time. I am sailing April 14 on the Ruby and nothing shows except for excursions. Don’t panic you will not starve

• Like 5

By July the staff will have everything figured out.  They are new working together.  I have read some great reviews so don't dwell on the negative.  You'll have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Brennivan said:

No one June and later has been able to book.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Reviews are getting better. Shows are starting up. You should have a much better experience then the first two sailings. Not sure about dining but I know two couples who booked the Butcher’s Block for October cruise.  Keep checking for reservations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brennivan said:

We have never been able to book specialty restaurants until about 30-45 days out.  As for the MDRs. We usually simply wait until on board.  Reserved a few nights.  Most nights just showed up with short wait.

Judging a ship by its first cruise is probably a bit unfair.  Over 4 months and things will get lots smoother and more staff get on board.

• Like 1

It's just much to early to give much credit to some of the negative comments. Keep checking back and I'm almost certain that all of those negative opinions will have changed, such as the AC problems.

Don't forget that many of them are only opinions of just certain cruisers and should be taken with a grain of salt. 

Guest Snaxmuppet
13 minutes ago, Spudd said:

Check the cancellation schedule on your confirmation documents. You may still be able to cancel with no penalty.

By no penalty it is likely you will still lose the deposit if it is before the final payment date. After that there will likely be a  penalty.

2 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

By no penalty it is likely you will still lose the deposit if it is before the final payment date. After that there will likely be a  penalty.

Depending where OP is based. In North America usually the deposit is refundable.

41 minutes ago, ISABELLA said:

Is it the common sense for cruise line to put the best crew on new ship? It seems that it has been done on other line.

They certainly did it for Celebrity Edge back in 2018. My DD was selected for Activities Manager. The inaugural season was so stressful (being a brand new concept for Celebrity) she quit. The initial negativity the ship received from Celebrity diehards didn't help! 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Esprit said:

The inaugural season was so stressful (being a brand new concept for Celebrity) she quit.

Which highlights a management technique that is sometimes employed and which I find useful as part of my management routine.  If the new situation proves stressful and the best people quit, you have lost your best people. As an alternative, you can put your "second best" people on the job--the ones who are aiming for upward movement and who want to prove themselves.  If the stress gets to them and they quit, you still have your best people.  And, if as they say, "pressure makes diamonds", and the second best people rise to the task, you now have a whole new crop of "best people." 

Not being on Sun myself, I don't know whether Princess is using the "best people" or "second best people" approach, or a mixture of both.  I suspect the latter.  

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

We will be sailing in May. Will report all good, bad and ugly. We have not been on Princess since 2007. Looking forward to see the new ship and hopefully enjoy my elite status. To this day, original Grand Princess is my favorite ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Esprit said:

As for the Sun Princess, we can't wait to board this August for 14 nights. Nothing reported so far has put me off in the slightest.

Same here.  (But September instead of August). We will be trying out a new cabin category (Cabana) and many new dining venues.  If we love it, great.  If not, we have lots of other options (for now.)

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

We have never been able to book specialty restaurants until about 30-45 days out.

I’ve booked all my dining reservations thru February 2025 already. I’m elite so maybe that makes a difference?  Idk. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, memoak said:

Don’t panic you will not starve

Setting the bar pretty high!  🙂

Edited by ldubs
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Not sure when your final payment is coming up...

But, remember...  The first couple of sailings did have these 'new ship' growing pains...

Also, dining reservations have been slow to become available...  Yours should show up soon.  This might be because of the new 'system' and the new venues on the Sun. Well known that they are working on this.  ( I don't think that 'status' is a factor?)

There is probably a lot to like about the new ship!

I would wait until the last moment, and consider only the latest reviews.

I have seen reviews of not-so-stellar food... but also positive reviews!  Mention of better beef onboard...  And, yes, some dishes and recipes might be adjusted.  I understand Rudi has been onboard and has been receptive.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

Not sure when your final payment is coming up...

But, remember...  The first couple of sailings did have these 'new ship' growing pains...

Also, dining reservations have been slow to become available...  Yours should show up soon.  This might be because of the new 'system' and the new venues on the Sun. Well known that they are working on this.  ( I don't think that 'status' is a factor?)

There is probably a lot to like about the new ship!

I would wait until the last moment, and consider only the latest reviews.

I have seen reviews of not-so-stellar food... but also positive reviews!  Mention of better beef onboard...  And, yes, some dishes and recipes might be adjusted.  I understand Rudi has been onboard and has been receptive.

Interesting...did you read @CanadianBurger Live TR?

He did say while MDR service was slow, overall they thought food was very good. A few misses, but not surprising with a 1st sailing.

Edited by KKB

I never understand why people want to hurry up and sail on a new ship???

Of course there is going to be issues!  
Then come all of the bad reviews but dont let that deter you.
You were smart to wait to til the ship as already been in service 3-6 months to work out the kinks. I am sure by the time you sail in July everything will be in proper order so dont stress you will have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

Being 4 months out I wouldn't sweat it.

Definitely taking away some free lessons having been an observer to this.  I always would have been hesitant about the first sailing or two of a new ship but I would have thought booking something this far post launch it would have been safe to assume it would be operating at full speed.  Clearly not.

• Like 1