Jim_Iain - B2B Sydney - Honolulu - Vancouver

Jim_Iain

Greetings from our new room, an aft corner sky suite.  You'd think it would be a let down from a Royal Suite, but, other than missing the second half bath, we're very happy.  Our butler is good, a little less proactive than in the Royal, but we're getting everything we ask for.  We order coffee every morning and by the third day he has the set up ready to go, so it arrives quickly and hot.  I do like having both a balcony and a window.  

Glen heard that we'll arrive around 3pm tomorrow.  We have a tour for the full day, so I guess we'll walk around for a while.

Once I finish my 3/27 live, I'll post some of my highlights here as well.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I'm not sure why you think the theaters on E-Class ships don't have great sightlines; there's literally no columns anywhere. The theater on the Ascent is one of the most spectacular theaters of any cruiseship.

You confirm what I said --- "does look like beautiful sight lines"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Marine traffic. Route forecast 

Latest we have --- they have secured a berth for a 3PM arrival.    I guess we may arrive a little early but will have to wait.   We will have a overnight stay.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

As a gesture of understanding they will be giving an OBC according to room type

IMG_3685.jpeg

A nice gesture. And I think the wording hits the right tone. However….. I do think that the same OBC should be offered to everyone regardless of cabin. Everyone has had the same inconvenience and disappointment whether in an inside room or top suite. Just my thoughts! 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, StopTheWorld said:

A nice gesture. And I think the wording hits the right tone. However….. I do think that the same OBC should be offered to everyone regardless of cabin. Everyone has had the same inconvenience and disappointment whether in an inside room or top suite. Just my thoughts! 

I agree, it is quite strange to compensate this way for a missed port, usually it is a nominal amount (i,e. $100 pp) plus port fees/taxes.

The only times it varies is when they compensate as a percentage of cruise fare (I.e 5% of what someone paid for their cruise).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

Thanks, I did not research that.  Don’t know if will make any difference that we will be in RS.   Can’t be any worse than Beyond, in which we got a pager and had to wait 40 minutes for a table in a half full Luminae.  We were in SS on Beyond.  

Reflection's Luminae IS busier because of the increased number of suites, but still FAR less than on Beyond.  And, yes, since you are in a RS you will be fine.  We prefer Silhouette, Equinox & Eclipse but did enjoy our one Reflection cruise. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

And, yes, in my experience, the service in Michael's Club is far superior to The Retreat.

We had excellent service in the Retreat on Millennium, then again, we are not overly demanding.  Usually a cocktail for me and a hot tea for my wife.  

That being said, we much prefer the ambiance of Michael's Club over the Retreat.  The furniture in the Retreat is no where near as comfortable.  Although brighter we think it is less welcoming. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I don't shoot ProRAW usually --- but I do like Live.   It is especially handy when shooting a picture of multiple people and can find a frame where everyone's eyes are open and mouths shut. 

Unfortunately Live results in a larger size file and I have had difficulty posting photo's taken in Live mode from shipboard WiFi, especially on our last cruise on MSC Divina.  YMMV but for now I have turned off Live mode. 

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I agree, it is quite strange to compensate this way for a missed port, usually it is a nominal amount (i,e. $100 pp) plus port fees/taxes.

The only times it varies is when they compensate as a percentage of cruise fare (I.e 5% of what someone paid for their cruise).

We missed 3 ports last year on a Princess cruise thanks to Hurricane Lee.  We got about 1/3 of our base fare back as FCC, plus 100.00 OBC.  I used the FCC to pay for over half of my 7 day Sun Princess cruise in 2025.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Or not compensated at all. That has been my experience including missing Ko Samui this past Dec during our Solstice sailing

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, StopTheWorld said:

I think the compensation varies based on the amount one paid for the cabin.  Those who purchase suites pay a lot more than those who purchase insides.  I was on a cruise once and Freeport was devastated by a hurricane.  The captain decided to skip Nassau and go to Freeport to share water and food with them.  We were reimbursed for one day's cost of our cabin.  I was happy to be paid good money not to go to Nassau since I never get off there!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2024 at 4:21 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Here's a quick and dirty video of our AirBnB on Miller's Point - Great area.  We are off to dinner so may take awhile to render.

Looks like a very nice place to stay with a decent size patio. 

14 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Mercury was my first Celebrity ship.  She's long gone, although we've seen her in her new livery in several ports.

Our first X ahip as well and our favorite..like cruising on a big yacht!

We have enjoyed EDGE( 2x), BEYOND ( Only SS suite ever), ASCENT  and have APEX booked.  Usually in BLU but also SVs.

I find the  E ships themselves are  great..lots of room, nice spaces and dining,  great theater high tech photos. Best dining on Ascent ..BLU and specialties.

Our  issue on Ascent was that  it was loud and shouty ALL DAY/NIGHT, or taken over by daytime sports, in places orginally intended to quieter venues!

we are booked on Silho and APEX in 2025,  but stumped for Carib 2026.  Do not want any old, aging ship..and  nothing that goes to Coco Cay. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

So very sad to see this, but in an instant life can change!  Thoughts and prayers to the families. 

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

Our  issue on Ascent was that  it was loud and shouty ALL DAY/NIGHT

Same experience on Beyond in the Caribbean last winter. The bars were extremely rowdy during the Elite Happy Hour every night before dinner. We gave up on the Martini Bar because there were too many people downstairs and IF we found seats, it took a long time to get drinks. My husband used a large complicated walker and we could not manage the tiered seats.

We ended up in the retreat.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I think the compensation varies based on the amount one paid for the cabin.  Those who purchase suites pay a lot more than those who purchase insides.  I was on a cruise once and Freeport was devastated by a hurricane.  The captain decided to skip Nassau and go to Freeport to share water and food with them.  We were reimbursed for one day's cost of our cabin.  I was happy to be paid good money not to go to Nassau since I never get off there!

We were on the Boston Canada cruise in Sept. 2022 when a hurricane came up the coast and changed quite a few of our ports. It canceled a couple and we did not get compensated at all and we were in a sky suite?? but I do know can change itineraries to keep the passenger safe . But we did get compensated for the last five days that we were quarantining in our room because of Covid!! It was definitely a trip for the books!! And on top it off it ,it was a rebooking from the 2020 cruise that we had book that was canceled because of Covid! 

Edited by sdnich
  • Like 1

thoughts and prayers go out to victims in  Sydney Mall incident  Shocking!... was anyone at  that mall recently?  

"Seven people died and others, including a 9-month-old baby, are left in critical condition after a man attacked shoppers with a knife at a mall in Sydney on April 13.

The individual fatally stabbed six people and injured several others at Westfield Shopping Center in Bondi Junction in Sydney in the afternoon, New South Wales Police Force confirmed in a press release. The attacker was shot dead at the scene."

• Like 1