Beverage package and ordering double pours

Josie2

Recently on Silhouette we found a few friendly servers who had no problem pouring us a double, including wine, when we asked.  We both had the premium bev package.  Then one day at a different bar, new server, we asked for a double pour chardonnay and she told us this was not allowed.  Okay but we said we hadn’t had an issue around the ship all week.  She said she would be reporting this to the bar manager.  Needless to say we didn’t return to this bar or server.  I can’t though figure out why it would matter.  Pour me a double or pour me a second one shortly after the first that I’ll consolidate into one glass which is easier to stroll with.   Anyone have views or experience on this?  

8 minutes ago, Josie2 said:

Okay but we said we hadn’t had an issue around the ship all week.

Hindsight is 20/20 but I don't think I would have said this for the exact reaction you got from the new server.  The double pours were likely in hopes of a tip.  Most bartenders truly do want to make the passenger happy.  From a corporate POV, drinks package or not, pouring doubles means resources are expended twice as fast...and for many, a double would be a waste because it won't get consumed.  I've set down countless drinks at different bars because I tried something new and didn't like it...hence a wasted drink.  My answer to the question is, I think it's about controlling waste.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If ordering a scotch, a single pour is not very much, I’ve had bartender’s OFFER a double pour.

“Sir, would you like me to make it a double?”

But haven’t had that happen with wine

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

If ordering a scotch, a single pour is not very much, I’ve had bartender’s OFFER a double pour.

Exactly, but with Bourbon for me…always appreciated..

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

Well that does make sense for drinks like scotch.  

Question, as I can't remember...can one get 2 drinks on a single card or do you need2 cards to get 2 drinks?  If you can get 2 drinks on one card then a double would make sense.  I wonder if one could get 2 doubles on a single card.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Posted (edited)

Never had a problem with doubles on liquor, Never asked for a double of wine.  Most wine glasses wouldn't actually hold a double without being in danger of spilling. If I order two drinks for me and my husband, yes, I need both cards. 

Edited by 39august

We are wine drinkers and appreciate the quality Reidel glasses on board.  Check next time and you’ll see a small etched line in the glass signifying a 5 oz pour.  There is no danger of spillage if they make it a 9-10 oz pour.   Even the smaller white glasses I would estimate hold about 16-18 oz.  

21 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Hindsight is 20/20 but I don't think I would have said this for the exact reaction you got from the new server.  The double pours were likely in hopes of a tip.  Most bartenders truly do want to make the passenger happy.  From a corporate POV, drinks package or not, pouring doubles means resources are expended twice as fast...and for many, a double would be a waste because it won't get consumed.  I've set down countless drinks at different bars because I tried something new and didn't like it...hence a wasted drink.  My answer to the question is, I think it's about controlling waste.

I agree.

But giving doubles to guests can also cause faster inebriation. Which I'm sure Corporate doesn’t want as that could result in unwanted consequences…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Question, as I can't remember...can one get 2 drinks on a single card or do you need2 cards to get 2 drinks?  If you can get 2 drinks on one card then a double would make sense.  I wonder if one could get 2 doubles on a single card.

Can’t get 2 drinks on 1 card, that is to stop the sharing of a package.  

12 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Can’t get 2 drinks on 1 card, that is to stop the sharing of a package.  

Have often gotten exactly that.  Sitting in a bar take both cards and get two drinks.  Later just say another round and hand the bartender my card.

Our last cruise, I was drinking scotch and was able to get doubles without a problem. Last night, I politely asked for a double. The bartender replied that he couldn’t pour a double “only triples” which he proceeded to pour!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Like above it depends on the server.    If you frequent the bar and bartender they know you and your spouse so no problem.    Others will want both cards.  

I guess you could order 2 singles and then tell them to pour both in the same glass...LOL

Actually never had a problem ordering Doubles for Iain...   I don't drink alcohol, but often pick him up a night cap when he goes for a smoke and I go up to the room.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, justcrusn said:

I haven never been offered a double pour but I have never been refused when I ask for a little more when someone has been filling my glass. 

Why would anyone ever start a thread like this? If you are getting more and bartenders are generous why bring this to light. All bartenders are not the same. 
Be happy and if you have a problem with the quantity move on to the next bar. 
Don’t destroy the generosity of the Celebrity bar tenders for others. They will be back to measuring with a shot glass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Why would anyone ever start a thread like this? If you are getting more and bartenders are generous why bring this to light. All bartenders are not the same. 
Be happy and if you have a problem with the quantity move on to the next bar. 
Don’t destroy the generosity of the Celebrity bar tenders for others. They will be back to measuring with a shot glass.

I'll put you in the "this is just plain wrong" category.  🫢

• Thanks 1

I went to a bar and asked for MM neat.   The bartender brought me the bottle and asked if I needed a straw.  Didn’t have to ask for a double.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, miched said:

I went to a bar and asked for MM neat.   The bartender brought me the bottle and asked if I needed a straw.  Didn’t have to ask for a double.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I will have to remember to ask for a MM neat when I'm on my upcoming cruise!

Seriously, I have not had a problem when asking for a double when ordering Bourbon no ice to take back to the cabin.

In the United Club I was told they could not pour doubles.  I asked for a G&T and then a gin on the rocks -- poured the Gin into my G&T and left the glass of ice .. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

In the United Club I was told they could not pour doubles.  I asked for a G&T and then a gin on the rocks -- poured the Gin into my G&T and left the glass of ice .. 

I like your style..

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

The reason he did that was because I was there the first 2 days during the afternoon when my wife was napping.  I would sit there watching the sports or just talking to him.or passengers.   I would always ask for MM neat.   I had about 3 by that time and when I asked for another he brought me the bottle and asked if I needed a straw.  He was just messing around, everyone laughed and some asked me what kind of package I had.    After that it became the standing joke whenever I order my first drink.     I would ask for the MM and he would bring over the bottle and ask if I needed a straw.    Naturally I didn’t get it all at once but I know I emptied a few of them.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1