Royal TV Sucks

I get it you’re on a cruise you don’t need to be watching TV.
but my last cruise, me and my wife got the Noro virus

We were in bed for 24 hours actually longer than that we missed a day

we just laid in bed watching their TV, which basically they have two channels. If you don’t like sports or news, if you go, call Fox MSN, BC news I don’t know who picks  what you’re going to watch, but they need to rethink. It seems like every episode was part of a series where you had to be paying attention to the last episode like 24, now 24 is a good show, but I don’t know what the hell was going on put some standalone shows on where you don’t need to know what’s going on.   And  don’t even say they have pay-per-view movies at 12 bucks apiece there choices suck not that I would pay $12 to watch a movie step up the game royal

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We always bring our Firestick and have no problems watching Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu etc. etc. etc.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rdemn said:

we just laid in bed watching their TV, which basically they have two channels. If you don’t like sports or news, if you go, call Fox MSN, BC news I don’t know who picks  what you’re going to watch, but they need to rethink. It seems like every episode was part of a series where you had to be paying attention to the last episode like 24, now 24 is a good show, but I don’t know what the hell was going on put some standalone shows on where you don’t need to know what’s going on.   And  don’t even say they have pay-per-view movies at 12 bucks apiece there choices suck not that I would pay $12 to watch a movie step up the game royal

I agree. This is definitely an area to

improve. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rdemn said:

Which Ship and Cruise? 3 Ships I been on last yr was about 28 channels also showing few showing Movies, Sitcoms, Drama series with Star Trek type or Blue Bloods, Music Channels, Animal Planet type shows, Travel, and yes the 6 RCCL Channels, couple Sports the same 3 News channels they've had for yrs. PreCV they'd show the Movies that are shown in Theaters and on Pool Deck in the Cabin all day and nite, do miss that. Dont think going Change from this. Most use Internet and Kids their Tablets. At least the Signal is 100% better now, got off 26nite B3B and think only had Internet slow/stop my streaming 2-3 times and was only for couple min. I remember when there was no TV in the Cabin and no Internet. Had our Daughter 9 months later  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I agree with the OP.  I’ve stayed in cabins from inside all the way up to the Royal Suite, and this is something Royal really ought to do something about.  In particular, I really believe that in full suites should have extended TV options.  At a minimum, there ought to be the ability to access entertainment apps that people already have at home.  In a full suite, shouldn’t a passenger be able to log into their own Netflix using their own account?  I think so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Do they have any kids content? I'll be bringing a tablet for my son loaded with shows but always good if there's something on the TV as well.

Yes, there are a few kids channels for varying ages.

3 hours ago, captainannoyed! said:

I agree with the OP.  I’ve stayed in cabins from inside all the way up to the Royal Suite, and this is something Royal really ought to do something about.  In particular, I really believe that in full suites should have extended TV options.  At a minimum, there ought to be the ability to access entertainment apps that people already have at home.  In a full suite, shouldn’t a passenger be able to log into their own Netflix using their own account?  I think so.

Royal is so inconsistent with the suite product across the fleet.  Only newer ships include Voom with full suites.  Makes no sense.  

• Like 2

Not having a TV at home, getting one at sea or in hotels is a perk, even with 1 channel. My kids use their phones to watch stuff, I use my laptop (I just can't talk myself into getting a phone). My laptop stays home on cruises, as vacation is a break from these devices. Then again, like others have said, I rarely am in my room. Out by 6AM for coffee, and might, not everday will I see my room again before 9PM (Port days I return to the room after port to drop off new found treasures). 🙂

1 hour ago, Sonic2012 said:

iPad to watch

Todd always has his notebook and plenty of movies on it.  We only use the darn thing as white noise to get to sleep LOL

43 minutes ago, twangster said:

Royal is so inconsistent with the suite product across the fleet.  Only newer ships include Voom with full suites.  Makes no sense.  

I feel the same about this.  I do not sail in full suites very often.  However, there is really no incentive on an older ship.  There are so few benefits it doesn't justify the cost.  Voom is something they could offer.  I get there is no space or number of potential guests for a Coastal Kitchen on these ships.   

Seems to me that the lack of TV selections is a way to make sure people don't hole up in their cabin when they can leave and encounter the ship and ports.

I had thought in the past that when a cabin gets sick, they offer free movies for a day....  

• Like 1

I don’t cruise to watch TV but it is pretty bad. At a minimum, RC could show the same movies in the cabins as they show on the pool side screens. Families with young kids need to be back in their cabin earlier so some entertainment is needed. 

Bringing Netflix etc or buying the internet shouldn’t be required. It’s like buying food in port because RC don’t supply it 😂

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Season 1 was great. By the end of the series, it was terrible

Hated season one and hoping season two never happens.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I remember about 12 - 13 years ago on the last night of the cruise, hubby and I were exhausted, so we decided to skip the show for the evening, grab some Sorrentos pizza and stay in the cabin. At that time, the TVs in the room had TruTV and we watched a marathon of South Beach Tow until 1:00 in the morning (we had to get up to disembark the next day). We still talk about that night. 

On the next cruise we took, we had internet and we used it to stream shows while we were getting ready or winding down in the evening. We plan on doing the same this time around.

Edited by Nickles_1
  • Like 2

I miss the dvd players they used to have in suites , they had a small collection of movies you could borrow, we normally would bring things like Big Bang Theory.

I spent some time in Brazil, and spent more time than was really healthy watching old re-runs of “Star Trek!” 

It always amazed me how many alien civilisations, across all quadrants of the known universe,  spoke fluent Portuguese! 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Todd always has his notebook and plenty of movies on it.  We only use the darn thing as white noise to get to sleep LOL

Yeah I'm one those, TV on with low music playing overnite in my Cabin