make me feel better about the weather

Sailing on Symphony May 31st - June 7th to the Bahamas.  Looks like the whole cruise and ports is going to be overcast and raining.  I know they can't control the weather but does this make the inside part of the ship more crowded?  Do they close the ports?  the pool?  This just.......sucks, I've worked two jobs and so hard to hard this nice trip and poopy weather happens.

It never rains all day every day in the Bahamas unless it's hurricane.  There may be pop up showers and storms but there is no way your cruise is going to be a washout.  The weather will be great.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

Sailing on Symphony May 31st - June 7th to the Bahamas.  Looks like the whole cruise and ports is going to be overcast and raining.  I know they can't control the weather but does this make the inside part of the ship more crowded?  Do they close the ports?  the pool?  This just.......sucks, I've worked two jobs and so hard to hard this nice trip and poopy weather happens.

It ALWAYS shows chance of rain in the Caribbean. Don't worry about that too much, most of the time it's a passing shower or a quick downpour but they rarely last long.  And if it does happen a few days, it'll be ok- there is plenty of room and things to do on the ship. The ports won't be closed unless it's really bad, so you'll be able to get off,  but again- you worked hard to get this vacation, you will enjoy it, just forget about the forecast and get ready to have fun.  We got married in Jamaica years back, it showed "partly cloudy\chance of rain every single day... we were so bummed...it rained for about 5 minutes a day, maybe 2 of the days and that was it. . HAVE FUN!!!! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

You might be surprised, lot times short showers and when possible Capt will steer around small cells or speedup/slowdown. That said where live now it never snows and we get average 330 days of sunshine. ...Enjoy Your Cruise!

5 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

I know they can't control the weather but does this make the inside part of the ship more crowded? 

Yes, a known issue on O class ships.

Forecasts are unreliable the day before let alone several days to a week out. Add that to the earlier comments and don’t worry about it.

• Like 3

Ships generally dock at their ports of call even if rain is expected.  No promises, of course, as high winds or high seas (even without rain) can sometimes prevent a ship from docking.  

I agree with the others who said that (a) advanced forecasts are wrong and (b) rain in Bahamas, Caribbean and Florida can be short events.  Nevertheless, if you do indeed get some adverse weather, be glad you chose a big ship.  O class ships have a variety of indoor venues to enjoy.  Sure, others might also be enjoying those venues, but I have found it to be even worse on a ship with fewer indoor options.

Every vacation we take the weather forecast looms with doom about storms, total rainouts, etc. and i swear every single time we have perfect weather on our trip!!! So, keep your fingers crossed but DON'T change your plans. That's become our motto, because it seems to always turn out well.

I sailed on Liberty in September.  We were supposed to go to Bahamas.  Instead we ended up in New Brunswick, Canada.  I'm Canadian...  So I drove to the US to sail back to Canada... It was cold...

Feel better?

LOL

P.S. We still had fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

A week long cruise to the Bahamas on an O class ship? That doesn't seem possible. Where else is the cruise going?

I once did an 8 nighter on Freedom. It rained for 8 days including disembarking at Ft. Lauderdale.🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It's the routine run from Cape Liberty to PC, Cococay and Nassau.

Ah, now I get it. I always forget about that departure port.

17 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

I cruise 1-2 times monthly in the Caribbean. They are lucky if they can accurately predict the weather the next day. I wouldn’t worry about the “current” weather forecast four days before the cruise. 

Posted (edited)

Yesterday my DW and I were sitting at the Mast Bar at the aft of the ship by the Flowriders when a torrential downpour started and stranded us there for awhile. We still had a good time chatting with the bartender. Another guest sitting there said that it would stop raining by 5 o’clock and he was right. A beautiful sunset shortly thereafter.

IMG_1849.jpeg

Edited by Pratique

19 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

As many others have said weather is variable and rain there rarely lasts all day.  I have never seen a port of call closed or missed due to rain unless the storms are great enough with sea conditions that are too difficult to enter the port and dock safely.  But that is very rare.  Unless there is lightning associated with it the pools typically remain open.  The inside of the ship would naturally be more crowded as very few people will remain out on the decks if it is raining hard enough. But I would just relax and not worry about something you will have no control over and enjoy your cruise.

20 hours ago, Minuet888 said:

It is technically the rainy season here in south Florida area and Bahamas but our weather forecasts are notorious for being inaccurate. Rain will be forecast here for the next six months. Our forecasts two days out are a real stretch for most weather forecasters. The most likely forecast for this area and Bahamas on a daily basis is sun and clouds with _% of rain. 

Posted (edited)

We were on CocoCay on a stormy day. We had a lot of no rain time. We stayed under our umbrella while showers passed quickly. When the ship’s weather radar detected thunderstorms, lifeguards got people out of the water. And when one heavy storm passed, lifeguards had us hide in the buffet. 

We were in Bermuda a week ago and one day a lot of excursions cancelled due to wind and rain. 

Edited by BirdTravels