bottled water containers currently sold on Celebrity

Hello Everyone,

Will recent  / current cruisers let me know what type of container the bottled water sold onboard Celebrity is being used . Plastic  or metal or waxed cardboard carton ?

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Our most recent experience was also with plastic.  Have seen aluminum cans by Dasani a few years ago (RCCL for sure), but I think that has been discontinued.  Never seen waxed carboard.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jalves said:

I believe it is highly dependent on which ship and where it is sailing from.  

Ya, where the ship is provisioned has to affect this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, horseymike said:

Hello Everyone,

Will recent  / current cruisers let me know what type of container the bottled water sold onboard Celebrity is being used . Plastic  or metal or waxed cardboard carton ?

Thanks

Plastic on Beyond and Ascent.  

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

I haven’t seen aluminum in quite awhile. On our last few cruises it was plastic for the classic package and glass (Evian and Aqua Panna) for premium 

Happy to hear that 😀

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

I haven’t seen aluminum in quite awhile. On our last few cruises it was plastic for the classic package and glass (Evian and Aqua Panna) for premium 

RCI introduced Dasani aluminum cans I believe in 2020 with RCCL and we saw it on at least one of our cruses.  It was also intended for Celebrity, although I think if we saw it on Celebrity it would have only been on one cruise, likely Equinox.  I believe the program was discontinued a couple of years later as I have not seen it on any RCCL / Celebrity ships in recent cruises.  Not sure the full reasoning but believe it was in part cost related and replaced by Evian returning to plastic.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

RCI introduced Dasani aluminum cans I believe in 2020 with RCCL and we saw it on at least one of our cruses.  It was also intended for Celebrity, although I think if we saw it on Celebrity it would have only been on one cruise, likely Equinox.  I believe the program was discontinued a couple of years later as I have not seen it on any RCCL / Celebrity ships in recent cruises.  Not sure the full reasoning but believe it was in part cost related and replaced by Evian returning to plastic.

Not sure. The last time I saw aluminum cans was on the Reflection in May 2022. Since then it has plastic. Evian isn’t in plastic anymore either, only glass 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

Not sure. The last time I saw aluminum cans was on the Reflection in May 2022. Since then it has plastic. Evian isn’t in plastic anymore either, only glass 

That would fit my understanding of the timing.  I think between the onset of the pandemic shutdown and 2022, as mentioned we saw them on two ships - one each on RCCL and Celebrity.

9 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

We had aluminum water bottles on the Summit last summer (July 2023).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Our most recent experience was also with plastic.  Have seen aluminum cans by Dasani a few years ago (RCCL for sure), but I think that has been discontinued.  Never seen waxed carboard.

NCL uses the cardboard cartons. Plastic and glass are prohibited for safety/environmental reasons. Wouldn’t surprise me to see Celebrity go the same way someday. We use our own insulated, refillable water bottles. Lots of places/ways to refill them onboard, and the liquids stay cooler on excursions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Several years ago (2018) I saw the waxed cardboard used on Celebrity in Alaska. Never saw it again.

Very interesting.  My guess would be that, while admirable with environmental motives, the cost of the packaging with waxed cardboard v aluminum v plastic would make a product such as water not viable in containers other than plastic.  It may also be difficult to get the alternative containers on a network wide supply chain limiting availability to certain local areas only?

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Not being a crybaby, but we had the aluminum screw cap bottles once on the Equinox, and believe me , the edge of the screw caps were razor thin and you could very well cut yourself badly if not careful when opening the bottle or handling the cap.

On 5/31/2024 at 8:05 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

Waxed cardboard is what NCL does...hate it!

On a recent Beyond cruise it was plastic for basic and glass for premium.  They used to have aluminum bottles, but was told people were cutting themselves on them, so they stopped using them.

• Thanks 1

Waxed cardboard cannot be recycled so that's just a bit of green-washing.  I think cruise ships should do glass bottles and clean/sterilize for reuse, personally.  Or just stop providing the single use plastic bottles altogether.

I mainly drink canned sparkling water and it's in a standard soda can that is hard to cut yourself on.  Why they chose the cans they chose is a mystery because they were dangerous.

Just got off the Constellation on May 24th, embark/debark in Italy.  We had aluminum, screw top cans of water and when those ran out they had plastic- very thin plastic bottles.  

Sparkling San Pellegrino was in plastic bottles.

1 hour ago, bEwAbG said:

Waxed cardboard cannot be recycled so that's just a bit of green-washing...

It's not a recycling issue. It's a plastic in the ocean issue. Waxed cardboard supposedly degrades fairly easily, without leaving harmful waste. Plastic doesn't.

2 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

Waxed cardboard cannot be recycled so that's just a bit of green-washing.  I think cruise ships should do glass bottles and clean/sterilize for reuse, personally.  Or just stop providing the single use plastic bottles altogether.

I mainly drink canned sparkling water and it's in a standard soda can that is hard to cut yourself on.  Why they chose the cans they chose is a mystery because they were dangerous.

If they got rid of single-use water bottles, regardless of material, there would be a big backlash from those who claim it's not a luxury experience.  It should be noted, from time to time, there are reports water comes out other than crystal clear, here's one example

image.thumb.png.71d7bac0a97c875346aa4daf4105dc57.png