Private Tour Tipping Advice

Hi All,

We are a family of 8 traveling on NCL Epic in August.  I have booked private tours for our ports in Italy, France and Greece.

I am looking for “tipping” suggestions,  not sure what is customary in Europe and I want to be sure to be prepared.

Thanks so much in advance.

Guides in Europe generally receive an acceptable salary that is already included in the price of excursions - tips are not required, nor expected.
A small amount as appreciation for a good experience is fine - however, I would think that a 10% tip is over the top.

1 hour ago, hallasm said:

Guides in Europe generally receive an acceptable salary that is already included in the price of excursions - tips are not required, nor expected.
A small amount as appreciation for a good experience is fine - however, I would think that a 10% tip is over the top.

I would sort of disagree w this statement.  Some guides may work for a tour company and they may or may not get a salary. However many guides who are on sites such as ToursbyLocals and some of the GetYourGuides are independent contractors who get paid only when they are actually guiding.  On the days that they are not guiding they do not get paid.  They deserve a bigger tip.

DON

• Like 2

For private tours in Europe (and by private I don't mean just us, I mean a smaller independent tour, not a cruise tour) we generally tip $5 to $10pp (or equivalent in Euros) depending on the length and quality of the tour.  

I figured out a tipping formula years ago so I wouldn't go mad when travelling.  Makes no difference to me where I'm travelling.  I've never met a human anywhere that didn't appreciate a tip.  I base the tip on the total cost. For superior, over-the-top experience 20%.  For just-fine experience 10%.  For an awful tour, zilch.  I never penalize the person for things that are out of their control, and I always reward for going above and beyond the expected.  Makes life a little simpler.  

• Like 3

Here's a tip on tipping: If you figure out ahead of time what you will tip, try to have twice as much in ready-change. We went on the best ship's tour ever, and I only had a limited amount in US$. I wish I could have tipped the guide twice as much, but it was all back in the cabin safe!

Why is it that Americans reject the advice given by Europeans regarding the European market? Just because your market has guides and others who rely on tips to survive do not presume that it is the same everywhere else. 

Tips are not required nor expected in Europe.  Not by tour guides, servers, dishwashers or anyone. I have completed 3 x 14 day cruises in Europe in the last 8 months.  At no time was a tip required or requested. No one shouted at me for not giving a tip. I did not feel guilty or a cheat.

Please keep American customs where they belong....in America.

thankyou.  Rant over.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Why is it that Americans reject the advice given by Europeans regarding the European market?

I had a similar thought when I read some of the comments.  Cultural habits are sometimes difficult to let go.  You say tips are not expected.  Truth is Americans traveling abroad are often solicited for gratuities.  Because it is the traveler's norm, they are often given.  I suspect (hope) this practice is limited to touristy areas.  

Based on comments here (sometimes rather forceful), I quit voluntary gratuities in Europe (and Australia) some time ago, even though they are often solicited. Except sometimes we are given no choice when they are hidden as service charges. Though I have to admit, whether those are for the business or the staff is not clear to me.  Either way, if that is the norm, I don't have a bone to pick. 

I have completed 3 x 14 day cruises in Europe in the last 8 months.  At no time was a tip required or requested. 

I think you mean while visiting port stops.  I don't find that surprising.  Most cruise lines have an expectation of a daily gratuity, though I understand some upscale lines do not.  

Please keep American customs where they belong....in America.

thankyou.  Rant over.

Please return the favor should you visit our country.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think you mean while visiting port stops.  I don't find that surprising.  Most cruise lines have an expectation of a daily gratuity, though I understand some upscale lines do not

Yes  of course, I should have made that distinction clear.

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Please return the favor should you visit our country.

We always do that!  Just wish that prices in the stores included taxes similar to here.  The number of times I have been caught out by forgetting State and City Sales taxes. 🙄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

We always do that!  Just wish that prices in the stores included taxes similar to here.  The number of times I have been caught out by forgetting State and City Sales taxes. 🙄

You bet. It’s incredibly annoying to shop online and not know the final price until you get to checkout. And of course state and local politicians in touristy areas are experts at soaking the tourists with special taxes. The hoteliers similarly became adept at hiding these taxes as well as adding “resort fees”. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

I'd lean towards 10%.  

Another comment:  I prepare an envelope for each cruise stop, and I count out the anticipated money at home:  anything we owe to the tour, taxi, lunch, tip, whatever. 

Except for money we might owe to the tour company (which is a sure thing), I opt for a variety of small bills.  This means I can give the taxi driver or tour guide exactly the money I want to give -- after seeing the quality of the service -- without expecting change.  Looking for change is just embarassing.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Yes  of course, I should have made that distinction clear.

I wish our sales tax was built into the sticker price.  21st century tech makes that relatively easy.  

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 8:04 AM, donaldsc said:

However many guides who are on sites such as ToursbyLocals and some of the GetYourGuides are independent contractors who get paid only when they are actually guiding.  On the days that they are not guiding they do not get paid.  They deserve a bigger tip.

DON

A lot of those guides are doing it as a side hustle for extra money or even out of enjoyment. It is rarely their primary income. Also they price their services to make a profit. You make it sound like they underpricing their tours to make up in tips. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Not all of Europe has the same customs. I agree with @VMax1700particularly in northern and Western Europe but the further south and east you go I have found tips more welcome.  Nothing as lavish as Americans require but still small tokens of appreciation 

Edited by Mary229

Numerous posts had to be removed due to thread drift/hijacking, bickering & quotes of removed posts. Therefore, another tipping thread has gone down the drain. Please remember the following portion from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free memberships:

"Please be considerate of your fellow members; posting off topic within a discussion -- 'hijacking' -- is boring and only wastes everyone's time. Think twice and, for some of you, even three times before posting off topic in an existing discussion: not "thinking" may result in loss of your posting privileges on Cruise Critic."

• Like 1