Entertainment tipping

1 hour ago, Bead Pirate said:

Just off ICON, if you want to hear a song from the dueling pianos you better have at least a $20 with the request (a couple of requests had a $50 on them).

The performers will tell the audience straight up the requests with the "Jackson" attached will get first attention...

Short sets and a lot of talking limit the actual number of songs you will get to hear so there is competition to hear a song.

That is NOT a tip, that is extorsion. Therein lies the problem with tipping in the US. It is no longer a show of gratitude for a job well done, it is "pay up or else"   

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Crazy.

They are paid to entertain people. Its not morally correct to only play songs that people have bribed them to play. Should be majority rules,  offer different song names and biggest cheers gets the song played. Not the minority with fists of cash deciding. But thats my opinion 🤷

We go to the Schooner Bar all the time on every cruise (almost every night) and I have yet to see anyone "buy" a song.  People sit and listen, some walk up during the performance and drop cash in.  Other's drop one in as they are leaving.  They take requests from those in the bar area.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BND said:

We go to the Schooner Bar all the time on every cruise (almost every night) and I have yet to see anyone "buy" a song.  People sit and listen, some walk up during the performance and drop cash in.  Other's drop one in as they are leaving.  They take requests from those in the bar area.

That is what I have seen. The dualing pianos sounds like something else. A game or something? I have never done dualing pianos. 

• Like 1

Glad I use my phone onboard and listen to what I want on Spotify with my headphones.  Save myself some cash.

Next people will have to tip the shows casts.  Plus the window cleaners.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I don’t think tipping a performer is the same thing as tipping for service. Busking is traditional in the US. This is not new.  No one demands a tip. (expect maybe on Carnival) I will show appreciation if they play well. It would be weird here if they didn’t have a tip cup. Most people don’t put anything in. I don’t show appreciation just because they have a tip jar or sell CDs which if I buy I can’t listen to as I never replaced my CD player. It is a way of providing feedback. 

Except we are not in a subway stop or on a street corner, this is a ship where the performer has real income via the ship.  And given the ship has a fixed schedule where the performers are performing, it's also much unlike busking, where your income is also based on how long you play.

Not sure how you can relate the two of those situation.

If you want to tip, that's great, but it's should not be expected or asked for.  I would walk out of a bar if the performer asked for tips.  And tell them why.  Bad taste to beg when you are getting paid.  Worse when you are the musical director for the big show on the ship (and they do come out and do performances).  

Funny, too, we actually go out of our way to meet and get to know the performer- they seem to like that quite a lot.  At least the ones we've met and got to know.  At the end of the cruise, then we tip if we feel that it's needed.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

We always enjoying listening to live music onboard.  On Royal Caribbean, the guitar player at the pub and piano player at the piano bar have tip jars out.  

We are on our first princes cruise in awhile and the guitar soloist and piano bar player do not have tip jars out.  People have said hey have never seen tip jars out for any entertainers aboard Princess or Celebrity.

Are tips not expected on some cruise lines but are on others for the piano bar player and color pub guitar player?  Also on rcl we notice that it is only the piano bar and pub player - none of the duos or bands have tip jars out.

Just curious if there’s a difference in expectations and suggestions among cruise lines for entertainment tipping.

Thank you.

Good grief where does it end!?!  I have never seen this on any Celebrity ship.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Crazy.

They are paid to entertain people. Its not morally correct to only play songs that people have bribed them to play. Should be majority rules,  offer different song names and biggest cheers gets the song played. Not the minority with fists of cash deciding. But thats my opinion 🤷

I can do you 1 better than this . On a Norwegian cruise in 2018 I was at dueling pianos , and someone tipped a 5 with their request . As he started playing the song and was about 20 seconds in he realized it was not a fan favorite , he says " someone tip me another $5 and i'll stop"

someone quickly hands him a 5 and he moves to the next song. 

I thought that was quite classless to say the least ! , 

Cheers

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

It is common in restaurants in the USA that have live music for there to be a tip jar. It is only for those who wish to show their appreciation. Usually I do it as I leave the restaurant so that it's clear that I'm not asking for anything. 

I don't think I have seen a tip jar on a Royal ship - I could be wrong - but the duo on guitar and violin were musicians I'll never forget and they played their hearts out. A couple times I put a folded $20 on the piano top at the end of their set. One or two others did so also. Twenty dollars really is not a lot of money these days. But the musicians knew their talent and years of practice were appreciated by some at least.

It was not expected for anyone to tip. 

Edited by goldfish65
  • Like 2

On 6/17/2024 at 1:40 PM, Bead Pirate said:

Just off ICON, if you want to hear a song from the dueling pianos you better have at least a $20 with the request (a couple of requests had a $50 on them).

The performers will tell the audience straight up the requests with the "Jackson" attached will get first attention...

Short sets and a lot of talking limit the actual number of songs you will get to hear so there is competition to hear a song.

jut another reason besides the 1000 "yutes" to stay off of the icon and sail the radiance class ships out of tampa for a more relaxing vaca...life is good

15 hours ago, goldfish65 said:

...But the musicians knew their talent and years of practice were appreciated by some at least...

See this is where the US attitude starts to really get to me (I'm Australian). I show appreciation for a musician by LISTENING to and APPLAUDING their performance.

I don't think money demonstrates appreciation in any way that matters-If they're on a ship they're earning money- they are already being paid for their time/effort.

From my conversations with individually-contracted performers on multiple lines (Holland America and Cunard, in addition to Royal Caribbean) what is more valuable is that they get positive feedback in surveys- so they get another contract!

$20 doesn't keep a roof over your head- a new contract does.

Street performers? Yes, I'll tip them if I stop and enjoy. In Australia that is much more likely in general to be a couple of coins (generally between $2-$5 total value) than a note.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

See this is where the US attitude starts to really get to me (I'm Australian). I show appreciation for a musician by LISTENING to and APPLAUDING their performance.

I don't think money demonstrates appreciation in any way that matters-If they're on a ship they're earning money- they are already being paid for their time/effort.

From my conversations with individually-contracted performers on multiple lines (Holland America and Cunard, in addition to Royal Caribbean) what is more valuable is that they get positive feedback in surveys- so they get another contract!

$20 doesn't keep a roof over your head- a new contract does.

Street performers? Yes, I'll tip them if I stop and enjoy. In Australia that is much more likely in general to be a couple of coins (generally between $2-$5 total value) than a note.

Musician definitely enjoy hearing applause, many times no one applauds until some one else does , but here in local restaurants and bars cash is king . I hate to think how much we tip in the average month but we get great service and they reserve the best table in the restaurant for us. It helps that we have no debt , no children and no mortgage. I understand that other countries have different thoughts and nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, George C said:

but here in local restaurants and bars cash is king . I hate to think how much we tip in the average month but we get great service and they reserve the best table in the restaurant for us.

typical American attitude

• Like 2

On 6/17/2024 at 1:29 PM, George C said:

We are friendly with lots of musicians, many are sit in our booth during their break , I also have a cousin who plays drums professionally in New York City. 

Do they tip you for agreeing to share your booth with them?..... I am just joking for those here lacking in the humor department.😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm sad to see this thread go the same way just about every tipping thread goes with both sides of the spectrum pointing at the other and saying "wrong!".  As I stated in my earlier post, RCI is an American based company and works off that business model.  Like it or hate it, just the way it is. 

I can personally attest to the fact that the pub and schooner bar players are not "highly paid".  Most of them are from USA, UK, or other country that have a fairly high cost of living.  Its not comparable to the other employees who are from say India where the salary earned onboard goes a lot further.  In most cases, the salary for a musician pays the rent and electric bill, the tips cover living expenses for when they are off the ship...they have to take time off at some point. 

Yes yes...they choose to be musicians, their fault, etc.  But without them I know my cruises would be a much duller experience.

Tip how you feel compelled to (or not).  Either way, mentioning any entertainer by name in the survey is definitely appreciated and costs nothing but a few minutes.  

We can all agree to disagree, and still share the seats around the piano 🙂

BTW- the example at the dueling pianos that was given is definitely not allowed ("$$ or we won't play for you") and is distasteful.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 1:40 PM, Bead Pirate said:

Wow, what a turn off. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, George C said:

Musician definitely enjoy hearing applause, many times no one applauds until some one else does , but here in local restaurants and bars cash is king . I hate to think how much we tip in the average month but we get great service and they reserve the best table in the restaurant for us. It helps that we have no debt , no children and no mortgage. I understand that other countries have different thoughts and nothing wrong with that.

Those are NOT tips, those are bribes. 

• Like 6

On 6/17/2024 at 3:55 PM, jean87510 said:

Glad I use my phone onboard and listen to what I want on Spotify with my headphones.  Save myself some cash.

Next people will have to tip the shows casts.  Plus the window cleaners.

I go the Spotify route too. If I want to hear a piano badly enough I can play it myself.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dramamommao said:

RCI is an American based company and works off that business model.

But this isn’t about a business model. It’s not about RC allocating gratuities from

the pool. It’s about musicians putting a begging bowl in front of themselves or only playing for bribes. 
My attitude is live and let live. If someone wants to give the piano player the deeds to their house, it’s not my concern but don’t expect everyone to join in, especially when tipping is culturally very different outside the US. 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Have you people never listened to the song 

PIANO MAN?!?!?!??!

🤣🤣🤣

The largest tip I have EVER given at the Schooner was to NOT have to hear that one for the 5th time in one night!  It worked...but in that case I think all would agree "bribing" worked to the advantage of all who had been there all night 😉

• Like 3