Coastal Kitchen lunch questions

9 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

Is Coastal Kitchen (Oasis) open on embarkation day? Does the lunch menu change each day it is open like Luminae? What items are your favorites?

Yes, CK is open on embarkation day and lunch on that day is typically the busiest as people hang out until cabins are open.  There are a few different lunch menus and the port day menus are usually the better ones since they have less people to feed on port days.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I wasn’t impressed with any lunch in CK , it is open every day and you can get beer or wine even without liquor package.

Edited by George C
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, George C said:

I wasn’t impressed with any lunch in CK , it is open every day 

And if you miss one of the days with a specific appetizer, the left overs usually show up on the dinner menu the next night. It's pretty poor. On our last cruise, we actually walked out of CK at dinner time twice because the food service and food quality was sooooo bad. One of those nights, I got a raw steak 3 times and left and went to the Windjammer (after telling the Maitre D that being able to serve a steak at the right temperature is culinary 101 and he failed). 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

And if you miss one of the days with a specific appetizer, the left overs usually show up on the dinner menu the next night. It's pretty poor. On our last cruise, we actually walked out of CK at dinner time twice because the food service and food quality was sooooo bad. One of those nights, I got a raw steak 3 times and left and went to the Windjammer (after telling the Maitre D that being able to serve a steak at the right temperature is culinary 101 and he failed). 

Which ship?  I know food is highly subjective.  In my experience, this is not typical of CK on our last two RCCL cruises (Symphony and Harmony).  The food and service on each was very good.

14 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I sailed oasis class 3 times , I originally was looking forward to it after enjoying celebrity Luminae several times . Had exactly two dinners in CK then had rest of meals in specialty, now we just buy UDP . I do like breakfast in CK. 

36 minutes ago, George C said:

now we just buy UDP . I do like breakfast in CK. 

This pretty much sums up our feelings on the CK as well.  CK isn’t horrible but it is far from “special”.  We rarely purchase the UDP anymore b/c it is just too much food for us but we generally purchase a 3 night package and use our BOGO.  We will use the CK for boarding day lunch and an occasional lunch here and there (although we generally skip lunch) and for breakfast, as you mentioned, which is the best meal served in the CK, IMO.  It’s nice to have the CK as a fall-back position (we avoid the MDR/WJ almost entirely) but I will never use the CK as my go-to dinner venue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, RFerrington said:

This pretty much sums up our feelings on the CK as well.  CK isn’t horrible but it is far from “special”.  We rarely purchase the UDP anymore b/c it is just too much food for us but we generally purchase a 3 night package and use our BOGO.  We will use the CK for boarding day lunch and an occasional lunch here and there (although we generally skip lunch) and for breakfast, as you mentioned, which is the best meal served in the CK, IMO.  It’s nice to have the CK as a fall-back position (we avoid the MDR/WJ almost entirely) but I will never use the CK as my go-to dinner venue.

A 3-night package?  Are they still available?

We will be on Indy for 12 days in a GS.  No CK.  Wish it was there.  We do not want to spend big bucks on the 12 day UDP for this trip- mostly because the specialty restaurants on Indy are very limited.  The UDP is over $550 pp even with the pre-cruise discounts offered now.  We would prefer a 3 or 4 night package plus our BOGO.  We will try the Windjammer and MDR the other nights.  We prefer the newer ships for suites since much more is included for the price (like WiFi).  But the itinerary on Indy is unique for us and we wanted to try it.  

28 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

We will be on Indy for 12 days in a GS.  No CK.  Wish it was there.  We do not want to spend big bucks on the 12 day UDP for this trip- mostly because the specialty restaurants on Indy are very limited.  The UDP is over $550 pp even with the pre-cruise discounts offered now.  We would prefer a 3 or 4 night package plus our BOGO.  We will try the Windjammer and MDR the other nights.  We prefer the newer ships for suites since much more is included for the price (like WiFi).  But the itinerary on Indy is unique for us and we wanted to try it.  

There are no guarantees, but I see a 3 dinner package on all of my cruises in the Cruise Planner.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

We did a 9 night on Liberty last month and there was a 3 night package on our sailing.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 7:38 AM, TeeRick said:

Which ship?  I know food is highly subjective.  In my experience, this is not typical of CK on our last two RCCL cruises (Symphony and Harmony).  The food and service on each was very good.

I agree. I have found the food and service in the CK to be excellent, and several of the lunch menus were exceptional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2024 at 10:38 AM, TeeRick said:

IMHO, one of the reasons why they downgraded the quality of the food in the MDR was to lower expectations enough so they could diminish the quality of the meals in CK - which have gone down substantially since the restart, and even more since the new and "improved" MDR menus were introduced in 2023. 😪

• Like 2

One of my favorite things about embarkation day CK, is having somewhere to enjoy a quiet place for lunch (away from the craziness of the WJ/promenade), and a good place for our carry on bags while we wait for the cabins to open.  

• Like 7

23 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Our experience has been that the 3 night pkg is only available on 7+ night sailings.  For our upcoming EX 10 night sailing they are offering a 5 night pkg which I haven’t seen in a long time.  No discount at all on that one though.  I haven’t seen a 3 night pkg on a cruise of less than 7 nights in a while.

The 3 night pkg + BOGO works great for us when they offer it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Our experience has been that the 3 night pkg is only available on 7+ night sailings.  For our upcoming EX 10 night sailing they are offering a 5 night pkg which I haven’t seen in a long time.  No discount at all on that one though.  I haven’t seen a 3 night pkg on a cruise of less than 7 nights in a while.

The 3 night pkg + BOGO works great for us when they offer it.

Thanks!  I will keep my eyes open for it.  For our 12 night cruise, perhaps a lesser package than the UDP will be offered on the cruise once we get onboard.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

There are no guarantees, but I see a 3 dinner package on all of my cruises in the Cruise Planner.

Are your cruises 7+ nights?  Thanks.