Communicating with family on shore

Hello, I apologize if this is a dumb/basic question. 

Have done many cruises but not in a couple years and I’ve never needed to be able to communicate with family back at home. First time leaving our kids just for a weekend so we’d like to be able to touch base with them while we’re gone. 

We have purchased the Key so we will have internet. And only going to the Bahamas on board Allure. Does that mean we are free to communicate via text or calls? 

thanks so much

Just setup WiFi calling on your phones and you will be able to call and message as usual while on the ship. Make sure to put your phone on airplane mode on the ship so you don’t use cellular at sea which can lead to a large cellular bill. Check with your carrier to see what your coverage is in the Bahamas. We usually don’t use our phones off ship to avoid charges. 

• Like 1

@NewlyMrs.Kilday it is probably best to start with your phone and the carrier/plan, that will help you know what is possible.  

As others have mentioned it is easy to message, call or video call from the ship WiFi and Bahamas if you have the right pieces in place.  Make sure you have WiFi calling enabled and setup before going on the ship.  Once on the ship things should operate pretty normally if you are on the WiFi properly.  Know what your plan is since quite a few have some coverage included in the Bahamas.  (Our plan includes some international service, but I always wait until the system connects since it always sends a welcome text from that country’s service that confirms what the limits are.)

We use two cups and a really long string to communicate with those on land.(or I yell really loudly) 

But you should enable Wi-Fi calling with your carrier prior to leaving home. This will allow for calling. You should also be able to receive calls, but frequently our phone don’t ring-a-ding. 

If you have WiFi calling set up you can see how it will work with Voom at home right now. 

Go into airplane mode, turn on WiFi, connect to your home WiFi. 

Can you make WiFi calls?  Does texting work?  If you have Apple devices iMessage will work on Voom just like it does at home.  If you don't have Apple phones (kids and you) then it will be reliant on WiFi calling working with your cell provider or using an app like Whatsapp or F B messenger.  

• Like 1

If you have T-Mobile, most plans include data and text in Bahamas. Calls are 25 c a minute, but not sure if it’s local calls or long distance too. Never tried. You can use Facebook messaged, WhatsApp and such. On ship as other suggested you can use WiFi calling or in app communication.

Don’t forget to put your phone in Airplane mode to avoid charges 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

If you have WiFi calling set up you can see how it will work with Voom at home right now. 

Go into airplane mode, turn on WiFi, connect to your home WiFi. 

Can you make WiFi calls?  Does texting work?  If you have Apple devices iMessage will work on Voom just like it does at home.  If you don't have Apple phones (kids and you) then it will be reliant on WiFi calling working with your cell provider or using an app like Whatsapp or F B messenger.  

Our signal service out at our community (1600 homesites) is non exist with AT&T.  Have called them many times to complain.  We are not out in nowhere land!!  😡

Finally found one rep with AT&T that told me he had the same issue.   He connects to home WIFI, then turns on WIFI calling.  I did that a year ago, and have great phone service from then on.  

Funny thing is .....I don't turn on Airplane mode...but it still works.  

Airplane mode is just to prevent connecting to cellular service.  Most phones will switch back and forth between cellular and wireless calling depending on signal strength and you won't even know which is being used.  On a ship, Cellular at Sea runs up big bills, especially when your apps decide to update.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, island lady said:

Our signal service out at our community (1600 homesites) is non exist with AT&T.  Have called them many times to complain.  We are not out in nowhere land!!  😡

Finally found one rep with AT&T that told me he had the same issue.   He connects to home WIFI, then turns on WIFI calling.  I did that a year ago, and have great phone service from then on.  

I do the same thing at my house. We do not get very good cell service because we are out in the rural area so I always have my Wi-Fi calling on at home but never in airplane mode unless I'm on a cruise or overseas.

• Thanks 1

As has been mentioned a couple times already, WhatsApp is the was to go. I use it anytime I am out of the country, cruise or land. Even with T-Mobile, RCS can be very hit-or-miss. And group chats can convert to SMS, and not convert back, and things might not go through for days. WhatsApp is purely internet. As long as you have internet, whether it's wifi or mobile data, it's reliable.

• Like 1

My daughter has been texting me from the ship she is currently on.  She has been texting through iMessage as we both have iPhones.  She did not purchase an Internet package, and she DOES have her phone on airplane mode.  She took screen shots to show me that APM is on, and the plane icon also shows at the top of her phone.  How is this working?

14 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

My daughter has been texting me from the ship she is currently on.  She has been texting through iMessage as we both have iPhones.  She did not purchase an Internet package, and she DOES have her phone on airplane mode.  She took screen shots to show me that APM is on, and the plane icon also shows at the top of her phone.  How is this working?

IT glitch!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

What ship is she on?  This has happened in the past on Quantum class ships with the older app.  There was a "hole" in the firewall that had to be left there in order for the other app to work.  People have had similar luck with iMessages going through recently due to IT issues.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, island lady said:

We have the same issue at home with AT&T. The techs are always amazed that their phone has no service when they are here working. At home, we use WiFi calling exclusively. You don't need to be in airplane mode at home, because downloading data is part of your plan in your service area. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, island lady said:

Well, you don't really have "great phone service".  You still have no (phone) service from ATT.  You have service from your internet provider. 

11 hours ago, Coralc said:

We have the same issue at home with AT&T. The techs are always amazed that their phone has no service when they are here working. At home, we use WiFi calling exclusively. You don't need to be in airplane mode at home, because downloading data is part of your plan in your service area. 

I hear ya' there.   Sooo frustrating as we do not live in a rural area.  Our community alone has 1600 homesites.  AT&T is the only cell service that has that problem here.  And it did for the 4 weeks we were just south of Portland...same situation.  

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Well, you don't really have "great phone service".  You still have no (phone) service from ATT.  You have service from your internet provider. 

Yes, thank you for correcting my statement.  Bottom line...is I can use my phone.  

• Like 1

On 6/30/2024 at 7:21 AM, p5woody said:

I've heard good things about whatsapp.  I use it with family and friends, but have never used it on a cruise, so not an expert.  Hopefully somebody can confirm how well it works on a cruise.

My daughter works on one of the ships and this is how we communicate with her.

• Like 1