The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday July 3rd, 2024

richwmn

Today is Drop A Rock Day, Fried Clams Day, and International Plastic Bag Free Day

If you judge people, you have no time to love them.--Mother Teresa

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Lamb Kofta Kebabs
Drink of the Day - Midori Sunrise
Wine of the Day - 2021 Riesling, Lieserer Niederberg-Helden Kabinett, Axel Pauly, Mosel
Destination of the Day - Rhodes, Greece

Today in History:
1884 Dow Jones publishes its 1st stock index, the Dow Jones Transportation Average

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 21:30

Nieuw Statendam

Husavik, Iceland 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Oosterdam

Dubrovnik, Croatia, Port Gruz 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord 08:00 - 15:00

Volendam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Westerdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska 07:00 - 11:00

Zaandam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00

Zuiderdam

Akureyri, Iceland, Lake Myvatn 10:00 - 18:00

0703Alaska.thumb.png.dae4a4d89240675d73bb91c14f88e720.png

0703Atlantic.thumb.png.9ce1c6ac9d27bf135ca5dcae3cca77f7.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 23

Midori Sunrish cocktail:

Description:

The Midori Sunrise cocktail is a vibrant and refreshing drink that captures the essence of a summer morning. Combining the luscious flavors of Midori melon liqueur, zesty orange juice, and a touch of grenadine, this cocktail is a delightful burst of fruity sweetness. With its eye-catching appearance and tropical taste, the Midori Sunrise is an excellent choice for poolside gatherings, brunches, or any occasion where you want to add a splash of color and tropical flair to your drink repertoire.

Ingredients:

3 oz. orange juice
1/2 oz. grenadine
1 1/2 oz. midair melon liqueur

Directions:

In a tall glass with ice cubes pour Midori melon liqueur into the glass.
Add orange juice to the glass and stir gently to combine.
Slowly pour grenadine down the side of the glass, allowing it to sink to the bottom. It will create a beautiful layered effect.
Garnish the glass with an orange slice or a cherry on a cocktail pick, placing it on the rim or gently dropping it into the drink.

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 5.57.31 AM.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 17

Good Morning friends!  Today we are docked in Akureyri, Iceland.  The weather is a cold 46F, overcast skies and rain expected at some times during the day.  I’m not sure what our plans are here since we’ve been here often including just last August.  Meanwhile yesterday during our sea day I met up with Cruise Critic member Debbie @tupper10 and we had an enjoyable chat.  Time flies when you’re having fun!

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Daily and Fleet Report as well as the location maps.   Well, I’m not sure why I’d drop a rock but hopefully it wouldn’t be on my foot like Joy did.  How is that foot coming along Joy @Seasick Sailor?  No thank you to fried clams or a day to celebrate them.  Plastic bag free day is a way to decrease the amount of plastic waste out there.  Mother Teresa’s quote shows her kindness and empathy.  I think I’ll go ahead and pass on the meal suggestion, drink and wine.  It was a big day in the financial world when the Dow Jones stock index was published in 1884.  Thanks Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for the reports today.

Prayers to all here on the Daily on the Care list.  Praying for a quick recovery and less pain for all.  DH is coming along with his recovery from his cold, so thank you to all who wished him well.  Prayers also for my DB and Alex’s twins, the people in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages, and our military members under high alert in the region. 🙏 Warm thoughts and well wishes to everyone celebrating special events and to the cruisers. 🚢🥂 Thanks go to Vanessa @JazzyV for her work keeping the lists updated for us.

Our port of the day is Rhodes, Greece.  This was the port three times earlier on Sept. 11, 2021, June 1, 2022 and Dec. 8, 2023.  I’ll post those links for you and also repost my photos from Rhodes.  Thanks in advance for your photos. 

DD had a darling photo of cavapoo Sadie checking out a butterfly when they went  outside yesterday.  Thought y’all might like it too.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Have an enjoyable Wednesday and please try to stay safe and keep well.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 8

On Nov. 29, 2018 we and other Pacific Princess passengers arrived in Rhodes, Greece but it was a rainy morning which included thunder and lightning.  So we waited out the storm and after lunch there was a break in the weather.  We headed down the gangway and walked over to the City Walls for a quick look at Rhodes.  Our view from the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJXxG51CkGe74m50j-WPzD4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385064

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIMl8V7-VpDBk010jpX4r_7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385069

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKPt_5Yy_sS6rqxGPc8VCMI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385097

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIVMUsVZmm0WkgObpENuTB5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390162

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIyqWhJVj0HsnSU0c5WeNZt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385167

Inside the walls we saw the ruins of the Temple of Aphrodite00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIzpwihpaXpFD4ox0zWXUZY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390204

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJl63N_-3UF7JkWhafMq25Q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385221

This is the Street of Knights, a medieval road featuring the lodgings of "The Knights of St. John".  They started as a religious order but eventually served as a military order.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLjT9eT6Xntd0Q-xpCnUhV4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390213

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJlrzj-4XZzPeEUK8l3asu5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385255

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIG4GHhKW8A3oHRIQEYjFD3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390255

The Palace of the Grand Master, the highest point in Rhodes.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJvQp568lPz-duzgDeey5bX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390262

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKl1ejf-x5W7wXGGVIHw_JB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390264

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlZlBDPkeiXlaZx5OeTycx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390272

The clouds were getting darker so we turned back and walked through a shopping area as we neared the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVILWzT5sfbi5osq8bMiVopH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390297

Few people were out and about, mostly those from the Pacific Princess.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0Gaq_Cin0lZAtHhFhtfDJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385450

We had seen several cats wandering through the old town, and when I took this photo of a cat on a wall, we heard a clap of thunder.  So we scurried through a gate and rushed towards the gangway.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIyav7pnp85nj7qbZ1ayYqY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390304

As we neared the top of the gangway the winds gusted and raindrops began to fall.  We had only spent one hour in Rhodes exploring the streets and sites.  A trip back there is a must do!  The ship left about 7 pm so I took a few photos of the city after dark.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKBjUI-uR85SdkJd1kdYKq9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390308

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKkCMebkYscPm6cdNv47bma?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390329

• Like 18
  • Thanks 12

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having leg/foot pain, saw vascular surgeon

Lady Hudson’s DH’s Cardiology appointment

JazzyV’s BFF’s Orthopedic appointment, 6 weeks post-op

Seasick Sailor’s DSis Bonnie diagnosed with breast cancer

Cruzin Terri with right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection

StLouisCruisers’ twin’s arm injury

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

Seasick Sailor’s friend Belinda with a fall and shoulder injury

Ottahand7’s DB with operated knee red and swollen

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Luvteaching’s DM did well with heart procedure

RMLincoln’s DH’s satisfactory eye doctor visit

Mr. Boston now in Maine home

Nickelpenny’s incision coming along

Ger_77 in Calgary

Vict0riann doing well post-surgery

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

4 days for luvteaching (Westerdam July 7 to July 14) 7d Alaska Explorer

Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice, tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 16
  • Thanks 19

Good morning.

Thank you for today's FR&D.

3 interesting days and quote plus nice food today.

It is 53°F and partly sunny here.

Rhodes is a lovely Greek island.

I hope everyone is happy and looking forward to today.

Screenshot_20240703_114614.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 15

5 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

On Nov. 29, 2018 we and other Pacific Princess passengers arrived in Rhodes, Greece but it was a rainy morning which included thunder and lightning.  So we waited out the storm and after lunch there was a break in the weather.  We headed down the gangway and walked over to the City Walls for a quick look at Rhodes.  Our view from the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJXxG51CkGe74m50j-WPzD4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385064

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIMl8V7-VpDBk010jpX4r_7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385069

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKPt_5Yy_sS6rqxGPc8VCMI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385097

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIVMUsVZmm0WkgObpENuTB5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390162

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIyqWhJVj0HsnSU0c5WeNZt?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385167

Inside the walls we saw the ruins of the Temple of Aphrodite00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIzpwihpaXpFD4ox0zWXUZY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390204

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJl63N_-3UF7JkWhafMq25Q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385221

This is the Street of Knights, a medieval road featuring the lodgings of "The Knights of St. John".  They started as a religious order but eventually served as a military order.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLjT9eT6Xntd0Q-xpCnUhV4?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390213

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJlrzj-4XZzPeEUK8l3asu5?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385255

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIG4GHhKW8A3oHRIQEYjFD3?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390255

The Palace of the Grand Master, the highest point in Rhodes.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJvQp568lPz-duzgDeey5bX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390262

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKl1ejf-x5W7wXGGVIHw_JB?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390264

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIlZlBDPkeiXlaZx5OeTycx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390272

The clouds were getting darker so we turned back and walked through a shopping area as we neared the ship.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVILWzT5sfbi5osq8bMiVopH?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390297

Few people were out and about, mostly those from the Pacific Princess.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK0Gaq_Cin0lZAtHhFhtfDJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546385450

We had seen several cats wandering through the old town, and when I took this photo of a cat on a wall, we heard a clap of thunder.  So we scurried through a gate and rushed towards the gangway.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIyav7pnp85nj7qbZ1ayYqY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390304

As we neared the top of the gangway the winds gusted and raindrops began to fall.  We had only spent one hour in Rhodes exploring the streets and sites.  A trip back there is a must do!  The ship left about 7 pm so I took a few photos of the city after dark.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKBjUI-uR85SdkJd1kdYKq9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390308

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKkCMebkYscPm6cdNv47bma?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1546390329

Interesting photos Sandi.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Happy Wednesday. Thank you for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Last day of work for the week. Lots to do as far as grading. Hopefully will get two classes done by the end of today. Back to the hot weather. It will be sunny in the upper 80s. Preparing Fancy and the cats for fireworks tomorrow. I am surprised that it hasn't started yet as many in the neighborhood set them off early. I have been giving Fancy some calming treats for the past several days. Not sure if it works. It's the cats who are more afraid though. Oh well.

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

🔥 Download Funny Happy Wednesday Cat Pictures With Sayings Ideas by ...

• Like 27

Good morning.   Happy Hump Day!   Thanks for the Report.

It's going to be a warm morning, but showers this afternoon.  

Interesting days.  @grapau27 Graham, thanks for the info on "Drop a Rock Day".  I've seen those little rocks around, but didn't know there was a day for them.   Yes to fried clams.  As a dog owner, I need those little plastic bags every day to pick up after Bertie.

I like the quote.

Yes to the meal suggestion.  Yes to the cocktail.  Yes to the wine.  Hurrah!  A good day for me.

We haven't been to Rhodes, yet, but I'd like to.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List, and more.  I hope there are lots of reasons to celebrate.

@StLouisCruisers  Cute picture of Sadie, thanks for sharing.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

47 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Last time I dropped a rock it hit my big toe. Maybe if it was painted it wouldn’t have hurt so much! 😀

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

Good morning everyone.   It is a beautiful morning here.   Thanks for the Daily and Maps Rich.  Thanks for the clarification of Drop A Rock day @grapau27.  It is kind of like the practice on HA ships where people drop a duck.   I'll definitely celebrate fried clams I wish some were available up here, especially Ipswich belly clams.  It is important to reduce our plastic bag usage.  A good quote by Mother Theresa.   Thanks for the photos of Rhodes and the Red Admiral butterfly and Sadie @StLouisCruisers.   I'll pass on the lamb and the melon cocktail but the Pfalz Riesling would be enjoyable.    Thanks for researching these for us each day ladies!

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports Vanessa.  My DB saw his surgeon yesterday and they will not drain his swollen knee until he completes his course of IV antibiotics so they won't know what is going on in there until more days pass.  I understand that they had put a "spacer" in his knee and he needs more surgery to which my brother said no.  I feel so bad for him and his wife.   Thankfully he is in the best facility he could be in considering.  Prayers for Tana, Chuck, Bonnie, Terri and Jacqui and anyone else who is ailing or grieving.   Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.

We had a nice dinner with my DN and family at the local watering hole, even though it was Taco Tuesday it ended up being Pizza Tuesday.   John is taking them out in the pontoon boat for fishing this morning.   I will work outside as usual.   Have a lovely day!  Nancy

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Sorry I haven’t been on.  The pain in my legs and feet has gotten excruciating making it hard to do what I need to and lack of sleep has put me in slow motion.

Vascular surgeon has me slated for surgery as my arteries are blocked which is causing the pain.  Surgery to put stents in on both sides.    He said once I recover I should be much improved.  Just waiting for the call in 2 - 4 weeks and trying to cope .in the meantime.

Prayers for all who need them.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 35

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Sorry I haven’t been on.  The pain in my legs and feet has gotten excruciating making it hard to do what I need to and lack of sleep has put me in slow motion.

Vascular surgeon has me slated for surgery as my arteries are blocked which is causing the pain.  Surgery to put stents in on both sides.    He said once I recover I should be much improved.  Just waiting for the call in 2 - 4 weeks and trying to cope .in the meantime.

Jacqui, I'm so sorry to hear of the extreme pain and sleeplessness.  I wish it didn't require surgery to have the stents put in but if it will solve the issue, then I hope they get you in for surgery sooner rather than later.  Prayers for a successful surgery and a quick recovery for you.🙏

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning...  THANK YOU for the Reports...  I'm off to Bible Study, then donate blood, then chores...  Our City will do their fireworks tonight and our neighbor city will do theirs tomorrow.  I doubt I'll go to either -- but it's nice to have the choice!!!

The food, the days, everything looks wonderful!!!  (Even if it does include eating LAMB!!)

• Like 23
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

I hope the call comes sooner rather than later. Sad that surgery is necessary but I have a friend who had to have several stents placed because of leg pain and she was helped immensely.

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! Once again, our strong onshore breezes rescued a brutal day. Kept the storms away too, though I could see clouds lit up by lightning off to the West, when Bindi & I did our bedtime walk. Couldn’t hear thunder, so the storms must have been far away. 

Vanessa, thank you for not losing faith in yourself during all those horrible months of pain. Now you just need to not overdo. Hope BFF gets some good news. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores & pool time. With an unplanned visit to my dealership for “training”. My low tire pressure warning light came on & instructed me to access the “Car System” app on my display screen. Well after searching every app on the display screen and not finding this app, I went to the manual. The manual told me everything I needed - except it told me that after adding air to the tire(s), I had to update the tire pressure in the app that I could not find. Sigh. I am sure a six year old could help me, but none are available. So I am heading to the dealership. 

IMG_3080.jpeg.119cb3459ee745d9c81474c693c412e3.jpeg

IMG_3092.jpeg.d1f66c9c581d84f47d2e48e05ed1baec.jpeg

IMG_2864.jpeg.a1c94572c5e5a52e811d79035c873b88.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. @kazu Jacqui, I am happy to read that the source of the pain has been found. Praying you do not have to wait too long for surgery & that your recovery is quick. 

Cheers to all who are celebrating. I will celebrate Ipswich belly fried clams. 

May we each find a reason to smile today!

2021 Riesling, Lieserer Niederberg-Helden Kabinett, Axel Pauly, Mosel

This elusive (outside of Europe) German Riesling is sold by the half bottle which leads me to believe it is on the sweet side, though its description indicates it is well balanced. So if you live in or are visiting Europe, would you do a taste test for me? Online prices in Europe start at $15.99.

Distributor notes

Axel Pauly is one of the dynamic young stars of German wine. He took over the Pauly estate from his father after having done vintages in California, New Zealand and other parts of Germany. Most of the ten hectare estate is situated in the village of Lieser in the heart of the Mosel Valley, with the exception of a small parcel in neighbouring Bernkastel. Fittingly, the label features the Mosel hills which, when turned on their side, reveals the ‘Tres Naris’ (or ‘three noses’) of Axel, his father and his grandfather.
Single Vineyard site. The grapes were hand-picked and sorted before they underwent a period of maceration for 10 hours. Fermentation occurred spontaneously in stainless-steel tanks with natural yeasts.
This Riesling is bright yellow in colour with youthful reflections. The nose reveals aromas of sweet honey melon, ripe apple, peach, and pineapple. On the palate, it is fresh and lively with a well balanced sweetness and acidity across the long finish.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 5