The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday July 5th, 2024

55 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Happy belated birthday to the Nieuw Amsterdam . Yesterday our lovely lady turned 14. I wish I was onboard now to enjoy the cool weather as our current feel like temperature is 101. 

Tomorrow is World Chocolate Day and Shady Maple is having chocolate sampling from 9 to 5.  If we were visiting we’d attend.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Ann, what new payment system?

I actually called my PCC’s extension, but was moved to the regular PCC number ( maybe in the Philippines?) as they said my PCC was “on leave”.  The lady was helpful and answered my questions , I wanted to check we still had CO, as that had not shown up on the latest invoice, and also added the Standard protection program for us.  Then she said she would transfer my call to their new automated payment site.  I had to put in my credit card info using the number pad on the phone, and then I was transferred back to the original lady, who completed the transaction.  It went smoothly. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

Posted (edited)

Good Afternoon! 

We survived the barrage of fireworks last night.  It was quite noisy and several fires.  I am not sure why they went back to allowing them (for a while our location had them banned, but a couple years ago removed the ban)  Since we have a high fire danger, and an extreme weather watch almost every July & August just makes me wonder.

I will share my "thong" laugh for the day.  Years ago, I mentioned getting my kid's Grandma some new "thongs" for her birthday (all she she liked to wear on her feet in the summer).  My teenage girls got the most horrific look on their faces when I mentioned it......................dawned on me they thought "thong underwear" and I was thinking of Grandma's "flip flops"!  We still laugh when we recall this and afterwards I always called Grandma's foot wear "flip flops"

Different words for different generations! 

Stay cool, we are starting to melt here, under a heat advisory for next week.

Denise

Edited by CrabbyPatti
spelling
  • Like 7
  • Haha 12

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I actually called my PCC’s extension, but was moved to the regular PCC number ( maybe in the Philippines?) as they said my PCC was “on leave”.  The lady was helpful and answered my questions , I wanted to check we still had CO, as that had not shown up on the latest invoice, and also added the Standard protection program for us.  Then she said she would transfer my call to their new automated payment site.  I had to put in my credit card info using the number pad on the phone, and then I was transferred back to the original lady, who completed the transaction.  It went smoothly. 

There's a thread about this, some w/good experiences like yours and some not.

I made a payment Mon and was not transferred to the system. I wonder if it's because I split the payment between GCs and CC or if I just had an agent who didn't know (seems unlikely) or maybe thought it would be easier for me if she just did it all. Seems she could have done the GCs then transferred me to do the CC, but she did it all.

I am happy to hear it mostly seems to be going well.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 13

Good afternoon everyone

Feeling much better after falling asleep on the couch for an hour.  The cats slept for 5 hours straight, that shows how tired they were after last night.  Other than that I've gotten absolutely nothing done here other than emptying the dishwasher.  My neighbor's SIL is visiting, and she told them she's never seen anything like our neighborhood before on the 4th. 😞  

Ann @Vict0riann thank you for letting us know about the new payment system.  We won't be making final payment on our next HAL cruise for awhile, but are getting ready to pay off that Princess cruise we booked.  Learning they do things differently!  For one thing if we want to book specialty dining we have to wait until the cruise is paid in full.  Worrying that all the slots could be filled by then, we're paying it off early.  It's only a 1-week cruise, things will fill fast.  

• Like 12

Around 5:00 I made a quick trip to the supermarket. I knew that it would be busy then, but my car had been in the sun earlier and by then it was in the shade. The customer in front of me in the checkout line seemed to have little idea how it worked: didn't put a single thing on the belt until the previous customer had paid and left, wouldn't put anything on it while it was moving, then put everything leaning over the edge of the rail, ready to fall on the floor. Also tried to push a credit card at the cashier before the cashier had even begun to scan things, but ultimately paid in cash....

I have finally finished the kale.

I have to ask again: would everyone please stop posting such interesting photos? I am trying not to book any more cruises until I've taken at least one of those already booked.

• Like 6
  • Haha 15

5 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

I would like to take a moment to thank EVERYONE here  for keeping Tana  and our family in your prayers. I am embarrassed that my fatigue and lower mood made me so needy. I try to hold it together but some days are just exhausting. I am afraid to mention names as I am certain to leave people out. I do have an incredible family and we will do all we can to make her days with us the best they can be. 

Thank you . This is a great group of people and  it has helped somewhat in restoring my faith in humanity.

Terry, why in the world would you feel embarrassed about being a superhero? Every now & then your human feelings sneak out. 

Who cares?

If venting here helps you in any way - do it!

Huge hugs! 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

Ee gads, I've reached TV bottom.  Watching the Barbeque show competition.  Season 3. I do see there is a new spin off of Bridgerton, Queen Charlotte, on Netflix, which I want to watch, and there is a movie on Peacock i want to watch, and there is F1 (but i'm all caught up so far.) And because I dont want to make a TV commitment, I'm watching a bbq competition. 

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 11

1 minute ago, marshhawk said:

Ee gads, I've reached TV bottom.  Watching the Barbeque show competition.  Season 3. I do see there is a new spin off of Bridgerton, Queen Charlotte, on Netflix, which I want to watch, and there is a movie on Peacock i want to watch, and there is F1 (but i'm all caught up so far.) And because I dont want to make a TV commitment, I'm watching a bbq competition. 

Me, too!

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Woo Hoo!  It's raining, finally.  We took the golf cart out for a drive and to check the mail, and it started sprinkling while we were out.  Just as we got the golf cart back in the port, it started raining harder.  There has been a north wind this afternoon, and that along with the clouds have lowered our temperature to a comfortable level.

Lenda

We had a deluge as well and, of course, that is when Rita decided she needed to go out.  Glad the temps are more comfortable.  I wouldn't survive in Texas.

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

Around 5:00 I made a quick trip to the supermarket. I knew that it would be busy then, but my car had been in the sun earlier and by then it was in the shade. The customer in front of me in the checkout line seemed to have little idea how it worked: didn't put a single thing on the belt until the previous customer had paid and left, wouldn't put anything on it while it was moving, then put everything leaning over the edge of the rail, ready to fall on the floor. Also tried to push a credit card at the cashier before the cashier had even begun to scan things, but ultimately paid in cash....

I have finally finished the kale.

I have to ask again: would everyone please stop posting such interesting photos? I am trying not to book any more cruises until I've taken at least one of those already booked.

How lucky can you get?  I always pick the wrong lane at the grocery store.  Always.

2 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

We're watching Lottery Dream House.  Pretty bad choices tonight.

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

You should join our Downton Abby marathon. Not sure it will ever end.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

The more I thought about fried chicken this morning, more I wanted some.  Fried chicken from the air fryer, deviled eggs and banana salad will be on the menu tonight.  I figured the leftovers could wait another day.

Just in case anyone is interested, flip flops have always been the rubber or plastic sandal that make a noise when walking, and thongs are the regular sandals with the strap between the toes.

This morning I got a text supposedly from USPS about a package that was at a transit center, but they needed more information about the address.  There were many red flags, one of which is the USPS does not have my cell phone number; two, the link was an web address in Canada not USPS.com; and three, the country code for the text was the Philippines.  I also know from experience, that if USPS can't deliver something as addressed, they send it back.  So please be careful if you get a text about a package with an incomplete address.

Lenda, can you tell me how you do your fried chicken?  I used to make it in the oven but it’s been so long that I don’t remember how I breaded it. Fried chicken is one of the ways I only like chicken. It has to have a crust for me to like it. 

I hear you about the incomplete address scams, I’ve gotten them too. Usually via email but a few texts. Very important to always on the lookout for strange and suspicious emails and texts and never click on any links. 

• Like 14

Goodness, paid our crew appreciation for our 53 day cruise today. 

I am still a bit nervous about booking the most forward cabin, deck 5.

Someone bowed out of the accessible tour to Pearl Harbor and we got the last two. Still wait listed on 5 more. 

Sharon, if you want Allen's mom's southern fried chicken recipe, let me know.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Goodness, paid our crew appreciation for our 53 day cruise today. 

I am still a bit nervous about booking the most forward cabin, deck 5.

Someone bowed out of the accessible tour to Pearl Harbor and we got the last two. Still wait listed on 5 more. 

Sharon, if you want Allen's mom's southern fried chicken recipe, let me know.

Yes Joy I’d love the recipe. Craig’s mother had one but I’ve lost it and can’t remember exactly what she did. 

• Like 9

This is the air fried chicken I make. I'll go look up Mom's recipe.

AIR FRIED CHICKEN

• 2 pounds skin-on chicken a mix of bone-in chicken thighs and drumsticks
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  •  

FOR THE BREADING

• 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Instructions 

• Preheat the air fryer to 180C/350F.
  • In a mixing bowl, add the chicken, buttermilk, salt, and pepper, and let it sit for 10 minutes. In a separate bowl, whisk the breading mixture together.
  • Using tongs, pick up pieces of the chicken and shake off excess buttermilk. Moving quickly, dip the chicken in the breading on both sides.
  • Generously spray the air fryer basket. Place a single layer of chicken in it and generously spray it with cooking spray. Air fry the chicken for 15 minutes, flip, spray again, and cook for another 5-10 minutes.
  • Once the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F, they are ready to be removed from the air fryer. Repeat the process until all the chicken is cooked.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, dfish said:

We had a deluge as well and, of course, that is when Rita decided she needed to go out.  Glad the temps are more comfortable.  I wouldn't survive in Texas.

How lucky can you get?  I always pick the wrong lane at the grocery store.  Always.

We're watching Lottery Dream House.  Pretty bad choices tonight.

Debbie, while it rain twi e, we still haven't gotten a lot of rain.  The front dropped our temperatures to the low 70s, which felt a bit chilly when we took our golf cart ride.  We're due more rain overnight.

4 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Lenda, can you tell me how you do your fried chicken?  I used to make it in the oven but it’s been so long that I don’t remember how I breaded it. Fried chicken is one of the ways I only like chicken. It has to have a crust for me to like it. 

I hear you about the incomplete address scams, I’ve gotten them too. Usually via email but a few texts. Very important to always on the lookout for strange and suspicious emails and texts and never click on any links. 

Sharon, I learned the hard way that wet batters do not work well in the air fryer.  I finally went back to my mother's method for frying chicken, and she didn't use a batter or breading.  Basically, I put flour, salt and pepper in a bag, add the chicken and shake to coat it.  To help get the skin and flour coating crisp, I use a spray bottle to spritz the chicken with vegetable oil.  The flour needs to be completely covered with a thin layer of oil.  I have an air fryer with racks, and put the chicken directly on the rack and cook at 370 degrees for 35 minutes, turning the chicken once about halfway through the cooking.  I use either drumsticks or bone-in, skin on thighs.  BTW, DH said to tell you he really likes it.

Lenda

Lenda

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Good evening.

As usual, I am late to the party.  

Thank you to all who contribute to this thread.

I had a bad night last night and slept very late this morning and just got a late start to everything.

I will post more tomorrow, but just want to add that @smitty34877 Terry, you have nothing to be embarrassed for.  We are all here for each other.

i hope that everyone had a great day.

God Bless and Good Night,

Terri

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Southern Fried Chicken

• pieces of chicken
  • 1 quart buttermilk
  • 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 TBS cornstarch
  • peanut oil 

• 1 1/2 TBS poultry seasoning
  • 1 TBS paprika
  • 1 TBS cayenne 
  • 1 TBS onion powder
  • 1 TBS garlic powder
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • 1 tsp seasoned salt

1. Mix the spices together and sprinkle half of it on the chicken
  2. Rub the spices into the chicken evenly
  3. Pour the buttermilk over the chicken 

4. Cover the chicken and refrigerate for at least 4 hours to overnight
  5. Put the flour, cornstarch, and remaining spices into a sack
  6. Remove the chicken from the buttermilk and shake off the excess.
  7. Add the chicken pieces into sack and shake
  8. Heat oil frying pan to 350 F
  9. Cook about 20 minutes
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 5

6 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Happy belated birthday to the Nieuw Amsterdam . Yesterday our lovely lady turned 14. I wish I was onboard now to enjoy the cool weather as our current feel like temperature is 101. 

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha!

Great memories of her! We did her inaugural and loved it, way back when! Have done her 5 more times and will be on her again in 2026! I remember us watching her being built online and was so excited to be apart of her special day!

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Mahalo,

Denise😊

• Like 14

3 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Terry, why in the world would you feel embarrassed about being a superhero? Every now & then your human feelings sneak out. 

Who cares?

If venting here helps you in any way - do it!

Huge hugs! 

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Aloha Cat!

So well said sweet sister on the east coast!! Thank you for being the voice that needs to be heard for Terry! You are always there , and such a supportive individual on this CC board that helps in so many ways for all!

🌺🌺🌺🌺

Mahalo,

Denise

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Learning they do things differently!  For one thing if we want to book specialty dining we have to wait until the cruise is paid in full.  Worrying that all the slots could be filled by then, we're paying it off early.  It's only a 1-week cruise, things will fill fast.  

Another nice thing with Princess is you can use OBC for shore excursions before you sail. At least it was that way a couple of years ago when we did that.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Another nice thing with Princess is you can use OBC for shore excursions before you sail. At least it was that way a couple of years ago when we did that.

@Cruising-along and the International Cafe is a must visit 🫣

• Like 7

Yuck! It was still 86 degrees at 6:30 this evening. At least the humidity was low. Our neighbors always called the rubber thongs zoris. And I love the perforated paper liners for the wire trays in the air fryer. Just don't preheat with the lined trays. The paper flies and can catch fire. I didn't have a fire but it was close!

• Like 5