Ultimate balcony breakfast versus Sabitinis

We are cruising in a full suite (the Sky suite) so will have access to Sabitinis breakfast which we love from a precious penthouse suite cruise.  We also will get a free ultimate balcony breakfast if we want it.  Does anyone have any feedback on how good the balcony breakfast is?  We did try the UBD for dinner once an unfortunately DH did not really like it.  I think it was the combination of too much food (we hate wasted food) and feeling a bit self conscious with the personalized service.  It the UBD breakfast better than Sabitinis?

UBB is a different experience. I understand that it's still a ton of food, but it's all brought at once, whereas the dinner is served by course. We had this gifted to us once by our TA, however we only found out about it when we got a call towards the end of the cruise reminding us to schedule it (they forgot to leave a card notifying us). Fortunately, they were able to credit it to our account. Having just come off a cruise that had the suite breakfast (on Enchanted, it's held in the Crown Grill, Sabatinni's is an open restaurant over the piazza) I'd probably skip the UBB. But, if it's gifted to you or included, go for it.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Mara4166 said:

We did try the UBD for dinner once an unfortunately DH did not really like it.  I think it was the combination of too much food (we hate wasted food) and feeling a bit self conscious with the personalized service.  It the UBD breakfast better than Sabitinis?

We only did the UBB once but have enjoyed the UBD several times so if your husband didn’t like the UBD he likely won’t enjoy the UBB. While it was too much food for us, all plates of covered food were delivered at the same time so the service was much different. I’ve never been in a suite to experience the suite breakfast but whether you prefer eating breakfast in your suite or in the suite dining room is your decision.

• Like 3

We just got off the Island, having our very first experience in a suite which gave us access to the Sabatini's breakfast.  It was great!  That being said...we really cannot compare since we have not done the UBB but I just wanted to toss in a vote for Sabatini's breakfast.  Not the least bit crowded...I think the most we ever saw in there (at the times we were there anyway) never exceeded 15-20.  Excellent service, food was hot, fresh, delicious!

• Like 2

We hate wasting food.  I know there is already a lot of food wastage on board ship, but we would prefer not to contribute more than necessary.

4 minutes ago, Mara4166 said:

We hate wasting food.  I know there is already a lot of food wastage on board ship, but we would prefer not to contribute more than necessary.

It is a LOT of food 

Fortunately, it's also a lot of food that you can stash in your fridge for a nosh later in the day or such - fruit plates, pastries, things like that. There's smokes salmon and an egg dish, etc. Like the UBD, you can modify the menu, within reason ,such as add bacon or modify rhe omelette or quiche, etc..  

If food wastage is your concern, and you're not big eaters for breakfast or any other meal, skip it.  It's a LOT of food.  You can ask for the amount to be credited to your account instead (see comment above doing just that).

• Like 2

We've done both.  UBB is a lot of food, we kept some of it for later but still didn't finish it.  it was a good experience, but I think a one off for us.  We have also done the UBD 3 times and really enjoyed that, yes there is a lot of food but the, for lack of a better term, the specialness of it was wonderful.  We were on the Island in May in a full suite and very much enjoyed the Sabatini's breakfasts.  Made to order omelets, just about anything you wanted you could order.  

Happy cruising,

karen and kevin

• Like 1

1 minute ago, reedprincess said:

It is a LOT of food 

Fortunately, it's also a lot of food that you can stash in your fridge for a nosh later in the day or such - fruit plates, pastries, things like that. There's smokes salmon and an egg dish, etc. Like the UBD, you can modify the menu, within reason ,such as add bacon or modify rhe omelette or quiche, etc..  

If food wastage is your concern, and you're not big eaters for breakfast or any other meal, skip it.  It's a LOT of food.  You can ask for the amount to be credited to your account instead (see comment above doing just that).

I'll wait for the ... well WE ...

this is US for reals

took an upsell on the CB for a 4 day Penthouse suite (pre-bidding) and included as a perk was an UBB ... of course, after reading about WE blah, blah, blah on CC , I tried pre-cruise to allocate the money to a UBD and pay the difference - nope - OBC - nope on board - same results - use it or lose it.  Well we loved the Sabatini's breakfast, hollandaise sauce on the side - double.  But we did do one of our 4 breakfast days for the UBB as we had never done that before.

Lots of food, all at once - it was OK, well very nice... not sure we would pay for it - rather have UBD - which we still have never had ... but someday

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for the feedback.  Although included in our suite, we will probably skip the UBB.  We do really love sabitinis suite breakfast and will keep with that. 

Now I just need to convince DH to have the UBD as it is also included for free.  As long as we can change the food to reduce the volume, it hopefully will work.  Last time we had tried it was in a mini suite so much smaller balcony.  It would be a shame to not have it on the huge balcony.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Mara4166 said:

Thank you everyone for the feedback.  Although included in our suite, we will probably skip the UBB.  We do really love sabitinis suite breakfast and will keep with that. 

Now I just need to convince DH to have the UBD as it is also included for free.  As long as we can change the food to reduce the volume, it hopefully will work.  Last time we had tried it was in a mini suite so much smaller balcony.  It would be a shame to not have it on the huge balcony.

They won't reduce the quantity. It's all set and prepared that way. 

11 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

They won't reduce the quantity. It's all set and prepared that way. 

That is a shame.  I wonder if the SEM could swap the free UBD for a Crown Grill meal delivered to the Sky Suite instead.  Even if all served at one time that would be preferable to the massive amount of food delivered with UBD.  Last time we had it, there was so much food it put us off eating anything.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Mara4166 said:

That is a shame.  I wonder if the SEM could swap the free UBD for a Crown Grill meal delivered to the Sky Suite instead.  Even if all served at one time that would be preferable to the massive amount of food delivered with UBD.  Last time we had it, there was so much food it put us off eating anything.

They would not force you to have all of the standard menu for the UBD. They go to great lengths to provide a meal for your satisfaction.

We’ve enjoyed at least 6 UBDs and they were always willing to accommodate within reason to provide the meal you desire. They won’t force you to have food that you do not desire to have delivered. Like in the MDR, portions have become slightly less but we still usually end up placing our dessert in the fridge for another time. We prefer red wine over champagne & have been able to get a full bottle of red wine that cost the same as the half bottle of champagne.

Call the Room Service line while onboard & explain your situation & your preferences and they’ll honor it to reduce the amount of food. The waitstaff is in the hallway until a course is nearly done to order the next course to have freshly prepared food. Everything has been perfect so would recommend giving the UBD another try & to receive the amount of food you desire…it’s our favorite Princess dining experience.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

We just got off the Island, having our very first experience in a suite which gave us access to the Sabatini's breakfast.  It was great!  That being said...we really cannot compare since we have not done the UBB but I just wanted to toss in a vote for Sabatini's breakfast.  Not the least bit crowded...I think the most we ever saw in there (at the times we were there anyway) never exceeded 15-20.  Excellent service, food was hot, fresh, delicious!

That's nice to hear we are in a suite next year on the Island.

2 hours ago, Mara4166 said:

You can switch up items in the UBD, within reason..

You don't have to have steak and lobster. You can just have the filet. Or chicken breast. Or just the lobster. Have made all those substitutions several times in different ships . 

If you don't want the crab cake and the salad, choose one or the other..  ask to skip the bread perhaps. Things like that are not an issue to make happen......it doesn't reduce the cost, but if you're getting what you'd prefer rather than wasting all of it, does it matter? Particularly as it's been gifted to you...

• Like 1

We book mostly suites but have never been offered the UBB?

We do love the suite breakfast and one of the really enjoyable perks with a suite.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mara4166 said:

We are cruising in a full suite (the Sky suite) so will have access to Sabitinis breakfast which we love from a precious penthouse suite cruise.  We also will get a free ultimate balcony breakfast if we want it.  Does anyone have any feedback on how good the balcony breakfast is?  We did try the UBD for dinner once an unfortunately DH did not really like it.  I think it was the combination of too much food (we hate wasted food) and feeling a bit self conscious with the personalized service.  It the UBD breakfast better than Sabitinis?

Perhaps I have the wrong impression, but if you're in a Sky Suite I would think they would bend over backwards to satisfy any of your reasonable requests.  Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

I see that now.

Thanks!

WHAT DO SKY SUITES INCLUDE?

• Complimentary Ultimate Balcony Breakfast and Dinner
  • Luxury balcony furniture including dining table for four, large day bed, loungers and exterior bar with mini fridge and TV at private patio
  • Living area with sofa that sleeps one, side table, lounge chair, coffee table and dining table for four
  • Three floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors
  • Master bedroom and second Bedroom with Princess Luxury Bed
  • Private master bathroom and second bathroom with bathtub and separate rain shower
  • Spacious closet and vanity/desk in both bedrooms
  • Full length mirrors
  • Luxury bedroom and bathroom linens
  • Upgraded bathrobes and slippers
  • Luxury bathroom amenities
  • Two refrigerators, one in the living area mini bar and a second on the balcony
  • Four flat-panel televisions
  • Portable hairdryer
  • Nespresso machine

Posted (edited)

We've done the UBB twice, both times when we overnighted at anchor off Cabo San Lucas. It's quite a bit of food, but as another person commented, some of it can be saved for later, as we did. The first photo is the fruit and pastries and the second photo is plates of smoked salmon with cream cheese and quiche with bacon and salad. Hope this helps!image.thumb.jpeg.cfb03819935ca23fff03d6ffd6e80540.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.be5dbf3106d05c775d23533e32b97645.jpeg

Edited by burnabyjean

6 hours ago, Mara4166 said:

I would still go for both since it's included and you can assess whether you want to do it again in the future.   They are quite different than each other but the one thing in common is that there IS a lot of food.  Still we enjoyed the breakfast and saved some items for later in the day. All the food is served at once so you can eat at your leisure. 
The UBD is a whole other experience....served in courses but the nice people serving hang out in the hall between courses and magically appear to clear and bring the next course!  I thought it would be awkward but they do such a good job and it was so nice interacting with them that we have done it multiple times.  I think DH enjoys it even more than I do.
BTW, we are not big eaters either but still enjoyed it very much!

9 hours ago, Mara4166 said:

Take baggies.   Save the room temperature food for another day.  

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Mara4166 said:

Your SEM will absolutely customize everything to your preferences. I was in the Sky Suite on the Discovery for 10 days this past April. I’ve also sailed in the Grand Suites, Owners suites, Penthouses and so on. There is no comparison between the service in these suites and the SEM service in the Sky Suite. The Sky Suite service is simply beyond compare. 

Also the fridge on the outside deck under the TV actually gets quite cold. It’s a real fridge. 

I see that you’ve read the thread specific to the Sky Suites. That information will be much more accurate than comments from people who have been in suites other than the Sky level. 

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel

6 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Your SEM will absolutely customize everything to your preferences. I was in the Sky Suite on the Discovery for 10 days this past April. I’ve also sailed in the Grand Suites, Owners suites, Penthouses and so on. There is no comparison between the service in these suites and the SEM service in the Sky Suite. The Sky Suite service is simply beyond compare

thank you, that is what we were hoping for.  I would love the UBD, but would need it customised for DH to be happy.

Although the UBB sounds nice, we love the Sabitinis suite breakfast.  We also are not interested in storing much food in the refrigerator for later eating as there is already a lot of food around to eat.  I love cold water so having 2 refrigerators will be lovely.

3 minutes ago, Mara4166 said:

thank you, that is what we were hoping for.  I would love the UBD, but would need it customised for DH to be happy.

Although the UBB sounds nice, we love the Sabitinis suite breakfast.  We also are not interested in storing much food in the refrigerator for later eating as there is already a lot of food around to eat.  I love cold water so having 2 refrigerators will be lovely.

You won’t need to store leftovers. Your SEM will see to it that you are only brought what you request. You can request a specific wine or champagne as well. Our SEM upgraded our bubbly and white I was willing to and expected to pay for the upgrade, no charge was put in my account.  Your UBB is also served course by course (unlike UBB in any other suite or cabin). That balcony was amazing and I hope you do order the UBB even if only for yourself. BTW, we asked our UBB server to just leave the food and go as we preferred it that way. I feel the food in Sabatini’s is actually better but I really loved that dining table on the balcony. 

For our UBD we had 12 people.  I kept the customizations to a minimum as the logistics of doing this for 12 were pretty nuts. 

• Like 1