Help! Daughter had stroke but Cruise NOT Refunded? WHY?

Hey All:

Sure can use some help. We returned from our 15th Criuse, this time on Wonder of the Seas. Had a blast and took 8 of us, 4 grand kids, son, daughter in love and us grandparents. Unfortunately my daughter had a stroke two weeks before we left and the doctors forbid her from going. She has special needs. We finally got over the bummer and disappointment and after flying my sister our from California to have camp in our home, we got some rest we desperately needed. Here is the major bummer-we purchased cruise insurance and after sending all the required paperwork to RCCL they denied refunding my daughters cruise monies. How is this possible? It was so clugie when they explained that they moved people frpm room to room around the 4 rooms they had and therefore we didn't cancel, just reconfigure? We paid over $1,000 for insurance just in case and when the unthinkable happened they did not honor the deal. Do we get a lawyer? How do I bubble this up to someone who cares? God Bless

Did you book say 8 and cruise with 7 and before the cruise you cancelled her and sent to insurance. If you moved someone else into her spot and didnt cancel I can see why there is a problem.

Sometimes it's difficult times like this when having a good TA and filing before the cruise might have saved you some headaches. Idk. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Papau Krikac said:

Hey All:

Sure can use some help. We returned from our 15th Criuse, this time on Wonder of the Seas. Had a blast and took 8 of us, 4 grand kids, son, daughter in love and us grandparents. Unfortunately my daughter had a stroke two weeks before we left and the doctors forbid her from going. She has special needs. We finally got over the bummer and disappointment and after flying my sister our from California to have camp in our home, we got some rest we desperately needed. Here is the major bummer-we purchased cruise insurance and after sending all the required paperwork to RCCL they denied refunding my daughters cruise monies. How is this possible? It was so clugie when they explained that they moved people frpm room to room around the 4 rooms they had and therefore we didn't cancel, just reconfigure? We paid over $1,000 for insurance just in case and when the unthinkable happened they did not honor the deal. Do we get a lawyer? How do I bubble this up to someone who cares? God Bless

They should state why it was denied.  What do you mean it was so "clugie"?  I am sure that is a typo but I can't figure out what you were trying to say.  You say you moved people around in cabins, was that only once you boarded or before sailing did you change everyone around, removing your daughter?  You will have to explain a little better for people to try to help but you say she is special needs, so they could have denied because of a pre-existing condition since they don't cover those.

14 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

They should state why it was denied.  What do you mean it was so "clugie"?  I am sure that is a typo but I can't figure out what you were trying to say.  You say you moved people around in cabins, was that only once you boarded or before sailing did you change everyone around, removing your daughter?  You will have to explain a little better for people to try to help but you say she is special needs, so they could have denied because of a pre-existing condition since they don't cover those.

Having a stroke is not a pre-existing condition.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

No, but taking medication that may preclude a medical emergency is a pre-existing condition.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Was it caused due to a pre-existing condition or was there a change in a pre-existing condition?  The point was pre-existing conditions could be the reason for the denial.

1 hour ago, Papau Krikac said:

Hey All:

Mbayley@rccl.com is the email where you will get answers but you need to present facts.

Proof you cancelled. They said you moved people around and therefore didnt cancel. So you obviously need proof you cancelled her and did not replace her. You need a copy of the letter you sent with the proof you cancelled her berth. They seem to be saying before the cruise you reconfigured the cabins. 

• Like 1

Wow, thanks SO much for the replies. We actually called AFTER we returned because we were concerned that they would screw our rooms bookings up like before. They accidentally cancelled one of our rooms and we caught it. The insurance allowed calling afterward. The clugie way they replied was like moving chess pieces around in an effort to keep from canceling my daughters room. They sdaid they needed to keep an adult in a room even though they were adjoining. My simple understanding is when we called to CANCEL that meant CANCEL not move reservations around to prevent canceling. When I called to tell them my daughter did not sail, they said "So sorry she had a stroke" but that is where it got so very confusing. They started moving reservations somehow? I will take all the advice and see where it leads. Thanks.

Here is the Genesis: 

This is the Genesis of our reservation on Wonder of the Seas – Sail date June 23 – 30 2024

June 15 2023 we sailed to Bermuda (9) people on Liberty of the Seas

During our cruise we booked (using Next Cruise) a cruise on Wonder of the Seas for June 23 -30 2024 for (9) people.  We booked a stateroom that would accommodate 6 of our party and an additional balcony for the remaining 3 of us.

Sometime later when we came home and rethought all 6 being in a stateroom with one bathroom (not ideal)  we called and changed the reservation to the following

68xxx  - xxxx

xxx– Daughter in Love and Daughter

xxx– Me, Wife, Grandson

The agent xx made the changes to the now 4 staterooms BUT unbeknownst to us he did not transfer the $900 deposit equally between all four reservations, thus cancelling reservation #xx. After several calls explaining our situation we did get the stateroom reinstated after RCCL reviewed our hour long phone conversation and said that the agent was in the wrong.  Fortunately we were able to get the same stateroom back.

February 28, 2024 we purchased travel insurance for all nine of us through AON Travel Insurance

On June 6 2024 xxx had a stroke and she would be unable to fly or go out of the country.  We needed to cancel her cruise.  I spoke with xx at AON and he directed me to tell RCCL that we will be cancelling my daughter from reservation #xx.  He was not clear on the procedure of how it would work with pulling an adult out of a minor’s room, grand daughter  being the minor.

June 10 2024 I called to cancel my daughter  I clearly stated that my daughter had a stroke and she will not be able to cruise, thus I need to cancel her reservation.  The agent acknowledged that daughter had a stroke and that I needed to cancel and he told me he was sorry for the medical emergency.  I was very concerned that if I cancelled daughter on reservation #xx that grand daughter would be cancelled also, as she had the same reservation number.  Remember at the beginning of this reservation we had a scare with the reservation being cancelled due to the $900 deposit not being distributed properly.  The converstation was led by the agent, I as a consumer do not know the terminology or procedure on how to clearly cancel a passenger off of the reservation.  The agent came back on the line after a brief hold and told me that he had to move Son off of reservation # xx to make sure that grand daughter , age 10 had an adult in her room.  Jgradsons , reservation #xx could remain in his original cabin because he had an adjoining room with his mother, , reservation #xx.  I assumed that this was the way that my daughter  would be cancelled off the reservation as this was what my initial request was.

June 12 2024 In addition to the medical reports that were sent to AON, AON requested a copy of a cancellation invoice from RCCL

June 12 2024 Called RCCL and talked to (Agent #xx) she explained to me that daughters tax was refunded on June 13, but it was Son that was cancelled out of grandsons  room and moved to daughters room.  I NEVER ASKED FOR SON TO BE CANCELLED. She told me that I will not get a cancellation letter because I did not cancell daughter she was replaced. The agent I talked to about daughters stroke knew and understood that I needed to cancel daughter. That was the whole purpose of my call.

As a loyal Emerald RCCL member and a consumer we are beyond disappointed that after an emotional event such as a stroke and doing what we thought was the correct direction of cancelling daughters cruise would result in them telling us that we did not cancel her reservation.  How does the general population outside of the industry know how to cancel other then telling your agent I need to cancel?

51 minutes ago, Papau Krikac said:

How does the general population outside of the industry know how to cancel other then telling your agent I need to cancel?

Most bookings are not as complicated as yours so canceling is much simpler and much less error prone.  

• Like 4

So sorry to hear this and hope your daughter is OK.   I am still confused about what was actually done (ex. so your son was cancelled instead of your daughter....but he still sailed and her name was still on a room???), and it sounds like you relied on your agent to take care of this and perhaps you did not receive or did not review the confirmation statement of the changes in order to validate her name was properly removed from all the group reservations?

Yeah it is a rough position now because I don't see how the travel insurance will ever reimburse you if this is all accurate (they can't reimburse your removed son who had no covered and insured event), and RCL really was just doing what the agent directed, within the requirements for room occupancy.  Seems like your agent may have messed up and didn't do what you asked (but in the future....ALWAYS get a confirmation and review it, I do catch agent errors from time to time, they are only human....).

Anyhow, best of luck in getting a better resolution somehow.

• Like 1

Again, thanks for taking the time to weigh in. I will write to the big wigs and ask for grace and a review of their decision. It is way too confusing and it should be as simple as "My daughter did not cruise due to a sudden stroke not from any pre-existing condition and we would like a refund for her"

• Like 1

Your detailed explanation of what they did to the reservations makes sense as to why they are trying to deny the claim.  If you look just at the reservation with your daughters name on it, it appears that you just replaced her with another passenger, thus there was no cancellation fee assessed to her reservation.  Since you moved someone from another room into her spot and lost money on that change, there is a net effect of you loosing out on the cost of one passenger when she cancelled.

I agree with you that it is terrible customer service to try to deny the claim because of how the reservations had to be re-arranged.  I hope you can find someone who understands the big picture and will make it right.

• Like 5

First and most importantly I hope your daughter is doing better. I think your situation is not that complicated if I am reading your comment correctly. Your daughter was in a cabin with a minor. When she was unable to go, another adult had to be moved into the cabin, which was your son in this situation. Since an adult had to be in this cabin, they replaced your daughter’s reservation with your son. Unfortunately due to the way the cabins were booked, the only option RCI had to ensure the minor could cruise was to replace your daughter’s reservation with another adult, so technically your daughter’s reservation was never canceled. 

• Like 6

Also hope that your daughter recovers fully and quickly.

The folks at Royal at least saved all 4 of the staterooms by moving another adult (your son) into the room where your daughter was booked into. 

The other option would have been to move the minor who was to share the room with your daughter into another stateroom with adult family members, and then your group would have had 3 staterooms instead of 4.

I think the denied insurance claim thru an outside insurance agency is a separate matter..

• Like 1

10 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

What do you mean it was so "clugie"?  

The word came up a few times in the OP's responses, so I thought I'd google it... here ya go: 

What is a Klugie?
: a haphazard or makeshift solution to a problem

Also, to the OP- I hope they can work something out with you, it seems like a complicated matter all around but if someone is willing to actually work with you and hear you out, I think they'll eventually give you a solution. 
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'm curious about the difference in cost between the changes with more than two people booked in each room.  Also, I know some insurance has restrictions on purchasing within so much time after booking.  We buy an annual policy now so that's not an issue, but before we started with an annual one, we always purchased insurance when we booked.    I will say, this is one of the more convoluted stories I've read here.  Also, I knew what "clugie" (klugie) meant.  My husband, an engineer uses it a lot.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I get it. Is it right, no, but I get what happened. Op’s daughter and grandchild (minor) were in cabin D. Others of the family were in cabins A, B and C. When the only adult in cabin D needed to be cancelled what should have happened is that they’d move the minor to either cabin A, B or C. So the minor would have been third or fourth pax in that cabin (with a much cheaper cost than pax 1-2). Now what happened was that one adult pax from either cabin A, B or C was moved to replace op’s daughter in cabin D. So it was in RCI’s view a replacement, not a cancellation. Obviously the adult who was moved from A, B or C was cancelled from that cabin but if s/he was a third-fourth pax in that cabin it would mean that the price for the cabin D for him/her as pax 1 was going to be much higher than the price for third-fourth pax in the other cabins. 

It’s a very unfortunate and unfair situation and I am not sure how it can be resolved anymore. However I can see how it happened. The minor in that cabin D with the adult daughter who couldn’t cruise really should have been moved to another cabin A, B or C to avoid this. Keeping the minor in that cabin meant an adult needed to be moved there from one of the other cabins - so in fact the moved adult was cancelled from his/her existing cabin. There is no way to move a person from one cabin to another than cancelling that person from the first cabin. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl
  • Like 7