Potential Security Breach on Princess Website

35 minutes ago, MacMadame said:

If so, their IT is beyond bad. The 2026 cruises should only be changes to the database, not to the code that runs everything.

You can't find mine. I actively check these things and get them removed.

They aren't going to message about the breach until they (a) know exactly what happened and who was affected, (b) fix it, and (c) run that message by upper management and legal.

It's not something you do on the fly while fighting a fire. For one thing, you have to tell people what you are going to do to fix it and you can't do that until you know exactly what happened and how it was fixed.

I expect I was affected since my app took me to other people’s bookings on the website.

Just now, dog said:

I expect I was affected since my app took me to other people’s bookings on the website.

I'm holding out hope that, as someone upthread said, they accidentally hooked up to a test database.

It's unlikely. But I have hope. 😄 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

This.  In fact, if you’re a frequent traveler, it’s a good idea to keep them frozen all the time. Ours have been that way for years, but when I receive a good offer, I unfreeze whichever company they search and then re-freeze it ASAP, unusually the same day. 

But…I’m not sure what can be done with a stolen passport number. 

I have had all three of my credit bureau accounts frozen for years and only ever do 24-hour unfreezes on them when I am applying for credit. Usually, I even try to find out the specific credit bureau being used by the creditor and only unfreeze that one account. It's a bit of a hassle, but well worth it versus the hassle of having my identity or credit stolen!

Another thing I do and I believe is available for most credit cards is to have notifications sent to my phone and email whenever a purchase of more than $200 or an international purchase is made on any of my credit cards. Yes, that results in a lot of alerts, but when they come right after purchases I know I have just made, I can easily ignore them.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, voljeep said:

No desire to get a TA at this point for this cruise - just want to get thru this ... and unless we get a move over offer - well, Princess price point for the hassle is maybe getting out of hand.

For us a TA (from a cruise website travel group) is cheaper than Princess for the overall price and they give us a tiny deposit amount and OBC. They are also cheaper than dealing with US sites (hasn’t always been the case).

Might be worth researching. I’m sure US cruisers get way more lucrative deals than we do in Oz.

Mind you, TAs are not all the same. One wanted to charge us $800 AUD pp for a deposit!

Edited by paddingtonbear

I have not logged into Princess, as many have, to check their bookings and info.

Something told me to just stay away, lay low, until this all is resolved.

I see the earlier post about being logged in...  Like that might affect whether your account could have (accidentally) been viewed by somebody else.

Can anybody give any more info on that?  Could there be truth to this?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

... have notifications sent to my phone and email whenever a purchase of more than ...

What a good idea! Calling my bank

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ombud said:
42 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

... have notifications sent to my phone and email whenever a purchase of more than ...

What a good idea! Calling my bank

That was easy! Thank you JamieLogical

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ombud said:

My hairdresser uses Patelco. Out for numerous weeks. Really bad when assets are frozen.

You've been lucky. Att had 2nd breech in 2019 but notified this week that I wasn't affected (yea!! Consideringthat a win). Thus extending my free credit monitoring. Xfinity and PGE notified me that I was compromised last year. IRS sent my (then) 8 yr old grandson a pseudo number to file under (he's 23 now, nothing new, moved on). My credit was frozen with 1st ATT breech in 2017 so IDK. 

@Cruise Raider interested in what your friends say as the ONLY current # on Princess is TSA & United member #. (Autopay on home security system hacked 7/5/24 currently waiting for a new visa#). 

They told me it’s not certain what they can say what happened for sure without knowing all the details of the problem that caused this.  But, either scenario was possible.  It could have affected only people that were logged on at the time or it could have been very body had access to what a travel agency has access to.  No matter what happened, I would hope they knew which accounts were out there which others had access to and notify us asap.  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

I have not logged into Princess, as many have, to check their bookings and info.

Something told me to just stay away, lay low, until this all is resolved.

I see the earlier post about being logged in...  Like that might affect whether your account could have (accidentally) been viewed by somebody else.

Can anybody give any more info on that?  Could there be truth to this?

Excellent idea. I’m doing the same. 

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Excellent idea, thanks for the reminder. Here in Canada, I'm only aware of Equifax and TU, and I just locked/froze both. I think I'll keep them pretty much permanently frozen from now on, only releasing them if needed, which fortunately is very rarely. That being said, simply freezing credit reporting agencies won't stop someone who, thanks to Princess IT, now has all my CC data and can order massive amounts of goods online. Fingers crossed Visa Security can stop any such fraud, as they've done for us in the past, like the time they called me in a rush and asked if I had just ordered a fur coat in Houston ;o(

In the US, locking and freezing the three credit reporting companies (Experian, TU and Equifax) are not the same thing. I actually locked all of ours years ago when locking was free. It no longer is.  So when I recently unlocked Experian to get an Amazon Visa and a free $200 gift card, I couldn’t re-lock it without paying a monthly fee. That would defeat the purpose of opening the credit card to begin with, so I froze the account instead. If you do the research, they are different and, in general, locking is better than freezing but freezing actually provides some benefit over locking. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dog said:

Someone on fb is missing a paid excursion.

check your reservations.

That is why I always take screenshots of travel summary, Elite status, Spa appointments and excursions 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, memoak said:

That is why I always take screenshots of travel summary, Elite status, Spa appointments and excursions 

I carry paper copies of all important documents in case computers/phones freeze up.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, memoak said:

That is such a good idea and one I’ll use in future.

We have been going around in circles for five weeks trying to get a full refund for two cancelled excursions. They claim it’s one amount and we say it’s more.  Princess has now asked us to provide copies of receipts. Screenshots of the transactions at the time would have made this process so much easier. 

13 hours ago, memoak said:

You can also save the Travel Summary as a PDF in "Files" if you are on an iPhone.  If you go to "print travel summary" and select the square with the up arrow (next to "print"), you can scroll down and "save to file". 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, moviegal said:

I don't know who is running the IT department at Princess, but they need to find some new folks. This is really outrageous, and frightening.

Its one issue after another. 

3 minutes ago, dog said:

Cannot log in today. Get tech message working on it.

yep, but was working ok this morning to log into account - but couldn't check prices on some cruises

• Like 1

I thought it was fixed but *****? Says my excursions are complete but (1) I didn't book any (2) none are showing. Usually it's a reminder to book 1 (or 2)

20240726_095505.thumb.jpg.476ea680066c3a6a91f300fde57c30f6.jpg

• Like 1