Potential Security Breach on Princess Website

Just now, PescadoAmarillo said:

Has anyone seen any recognition or admission by Princess that this occurred?  Any place they’re giving passengers a heads-up to watch for suspicious activity?   

¡Nada!

• Like 1

Have only seen messages at top of princess website re: technical issues etc- cannot log in over last 2 days.

check your credit cards- saw fb post- just before this happened yesterday someone had princess charges on their credit card they did not make.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

I thought it was fixed but *****? Says my excursions are complete but (1) I didn't book any (2) none are showing. Usually it's a reminder to book 1 (or 2)

20240726_095505.thumb.jpg.476ea680066c3a6a91f300fde57c30f6.jpg

I believe that "complete" button is clickable to add excursions rather than a statement that you have completed your reservations. At least that's how it worked for me.

On a positive note, I just logged in with no effort, and no problems present.

3 hours ago, dog said:

Have only seen messages at top of princess website re: technical issues etc- cannot log in over last 2 days.

check your credit cards- saw fb post- just before this happened yesterday someone had princess charges on their credit card they did not make.

FB posts are questionable at best in my opinion 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2024 at 8:08 AM, Adam&Eve said:

I've just tried to do the same and it logs into my account but when I select a fully paid cruise it then opens into a random person's booking and each time I've gone out and in of my 3 bookings I end up in a different person's cruise each time. I'm in Australia so have called the Australian line and left a message to that effect. 

I had the same issue and contacted Princess. Customer Liaison Officer got back to me to see if I had screen shots etc. Thankfully I wasn't able to see anyone's private details or credit card or payments and I hope no one was able to see mine! I haven't seen or heard anything else and it seems to be ok now! 

6 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Has anyone seen any recognition or admission by Princess that this occurred?  Any place they’re giving passengers a heads-up to watch for suspicious activity?   

This ^^.   I am not overly concerned if I can log in to my account.  I'm concerned someone else was able to log into my account and steal my info.  

• Like 2

On 7/25/2024 at 4:54 PM, PescadoAmarillo said:

. If you do the research, they are different and, in general, locking is better than freezing but freezing actually provides some benefit over locking. 

HELP!! All 3 sites state that locking & freezing are different but they don't state HOW. Do you know? Mine's been frozen for 8+ years, should I lock too? I think I'm fine

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Ombud said:

HELP!! All 3 sites state that locking & freezing are different but they don't state HOW. Do you know? Mine's been frozen for 8+ years, should I lock too? I think I'm fine

Here you go. 
https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/whats-the-difference-between-credit-freeze-and-a-credit-lock/

Each person must assess their own risk tolerance.  We are fine with frozen credit.

What Is a Credit Lock?

A credit lock lets you restrict and grant access to your credit reports essentially the same way a credit freeze does, but usually with extra features. Credit lock services provided by each credit bureau may differ in cost and functionality. 

For instance, in addition to enabling you to turn access to your Experian credit report on and off instantly, CreditLock from Experian also notifies you when anyone requests access to your locked credit report. This can help you spot unauthorized activity in your name. 

• Experian CreditLock is available as part of a premium identity protection subscriptionfor $24.99 per month, which also includes services such as:

• Monthly privacy scans and help getting information removed from covered people search sites
    • Alerts to credit activity on your credit reports at all three national credit bureaus 
    • Quarterly FICO® Scores  based on your credit reports at all three national bureaus 
    • Daily FICO® Scores based on your Experian credit report 
    • Alerts when your personal data appears on the dark web 
    • Alerts to potential takeovers of your financial accounts 
    • Alerts when your Social Security number appears online 
    • Up to $1 million in identity theft insurance coverage 
    • Dedicated fraud resolution support 
    • Lost wallet assistance 

What Is a Credit Freeze?

A credit freeze is a free service, guaranteed under federal law, that can protect you from credit fraud by limiting most access to your credit report until you lift it, or "thaw" your report. When your credit report is frozen, any lender who asks to evaluate your report for purposes of issuing a loan or other credit is denied access to the report. A security freeze won't affect your credit scores, but it will prevent lenders evaluating credit applications from obtaining your credit scores. 

A security freeze prevents criminals from opening new credit accounts in your name, but it also blocks your legitimate credit applications. So, if you have a credit freeze in place, you'll need to thaw your credit reports before applying for a new loan, credit card or other consumer credit. 

Once your application is processed, you can reinstate the freeze. Alternatively, you can use a temporary thaw to lift the freeze for a set window of time, such as one day or one week, after which the freeze will be reinstated. 

Credit freezes must be activated and lifted separately at each of the national credit bureaus. Procedures differ somewhat with each bureau, but all three enable requesting and lifting of security freezes online, by phone and via postal mail. There is never a fee for applying or removing a credit freeze.

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks @HaveDogWillTravel. So personally I only need a freeze as that will prevent new accounts from being opened and others from viewing it. Experian gives me monthly FICO scores already. Good enough

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I think you’re fine, too. I locked all of mine 6 or 8 years ago when it was free but it was announced that would change. I did it on the websites and got long PIN codes that are required to unlock. The unlock-then freeze I just did in Experion was also able to be done on the website. Now that mine is frozen and not locked, it becomes a very simple process. To get to it on Experian, I go to Manage Credit Lock, which tries to sell you the $4.99 a month plan, and scroll to the bottom and click on Security Freeze. 

Edited by PescadoAmarillo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

We need to keep  this going till somebody get a response from Princess

This was a serious breech or leak of information and whilst it looks like credit card details were not visible .  What was visible was passengers names and cruise.    So easy for a thief to know when your on holidays etc. 

Princess need to explain what happened  and what information was disclosed  and what action/s they are taking. 

If anybody does get information , please let the rest of us know   in particular if they get a contact source.

• Like 2

I have a Princess account but haven’t sailed with them in about 10 years. However, I have been logged in recently with no problem because I was looking to book another cruise. I tried just now to log into my account but was unable to do so even though I know my login info was correct. I’ll keep following here and once I’m able to get back into my account my password will be changed.

Why would anyone want to steal information regarding someone going on a cruise? Who cares! I can’t see the dark web clamouring to buy details about people’s past or future cruises. Worst case scenario is someone changing you booking or account details in spite.

6 minutes ago, Boku said:

Why would anyone want to steal information regarding someone going on a cruise? Who cares! I can’t see the dark web clamouring to buy details about people’s past or future cruises. Worst case scenario is someone changing you booking or account details in spite.

It seems that PII like passport numbers, birth dates, and credit card information was exposed to some of those who were logged in.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Boku said:

Listen if some passengers steal door decorations, they may tamper with your personal information that was exposed on the princess website.

I was not logged in to the website, was on the app. My app took me to other people’s bookings. I could cancel their CA, excursions, flights, transfers, beverage purchases etc.

When I realized it wasn’t my booking I got out of it. And reported it to Princess.

This is serious. I CARE.

Edited by dog
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

It seems that PII like passport numbers, birth dates, and credit card information was exposed to some of those who were logged in.

Only the last 4 digits of a credit card so can't get far with that.

3 hours ago, Boku said:

A Royal Caribbean employee had quite a scheme going by selling cruise dates and guests addresses to a bad guy network.  House break in’s and thefts resulted. It’s been a few years, and that’s all I remember. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1