The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday July 30th, 2024

I was blessed with a wonderful FIL (and MIL)! I treasure my friends, some of whom were classmates in elementary school! Yay for Medicare!

I'm celebrating because I finally got the financial reports finished & ready for the manual for my group's convention in September. The Financial Secretary for my church reviewed them yesterday, so I sent them to the editor yesterday afternoon. And then immediately found an error that had been overlooked & had to send a revised copy! And I proof-read it so many times!! Oh well.

21 days until my hip surgery and 74 until I board the Rotterdam, where I might try a Kamikaze!

• Like 20

28 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Just a quick drop in the stay in touch before I head out back to mow my lawn.  It has been two weeks since I was mowing back there but part of it hasn't been mowed in four weeks. Last time I was out mowing, a thunder and lightning storm came through with massive rain.  Since I was using an electric mower I thought it was best to stop and now it's time to get back to it.  My neighbor was mowing by 7:30 this morning.  I went to say hi and was ten feet away when her riding mower sent a rock right up into my face.  I did not know they has so much power. I will stick to my little electric mower. 

Linda, I'm so sorry to hear about the rock hitting you this morning.  Lawn mowers can certainly be dangerous to be around.  I hope you aren't seriously cut or bruised.  I bet you have a lot of grass to cut after having to wait so long.  Grass really does grow fast in some parts of the country.  I used to have to mow every four days sometimes, back in the day. It's been 20 years now since we took care of our own lawn.  Lawn services provided by the HOA dues take care of it now.  

• Like 16

58 minutes ago, lindaler said:

...My neighbor was mowing by 7:30 this morning.  I went to say hi and was ten feet away when her riding mower sent a rock right up into my face.  I did not know they has so much power. I will stick to my little electric mower. 

Eeks! Hope you're OK - riding mowers have always scared me even though I haven't been around them. I would keep my distance and stick to something smaller, too.

Who knew lawn care was a contact sport?🤷‍♀️

• Like 16

1 hour ago, lindaler said:

Good morning all. Just a quick drop in the stay in touch before I head out back to mow my lawn.  It has been two weeks since I was mowing back there but part of it hasn't been mowed in four weeks. Last time I was out mowing, a thunder and lightning storm came through with massive rain.  Since I was using an electric mower I thought it was best to stop and now it's time to get back to it.  My neighbor was mowing by 7:30 this morning.  I went to say hi and was ten feet away when her riding mower sent a rock right up into my face.  I did not know they has so much power. I will stick to my little electric mower. 

Linda, I hope you didn't get seriously hurt by the flying rock.  Our old gas walk behind mower could throw rocks across the street.  Our battery powered mower hasn't thrown any rocks so far in the three summers we've had it.  However, I now used the trimmer in the areas with a lot of rocks.

57 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good sunny afternoon. We are back from the vet. All is good with Mr Trouble, he weighs 19 pounds.  He cried in the car like he thought he was not coming back. What we do for our fur babies.🐾❤️

I'm glad Mr. Trouble's appointment went well.  I also hope you had earplugs for the loud journey.  😉

43 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Interesting how some ships live on under new names.  @Quartzsite Cruiser mentioned visiting Madeira on the Tahitian Princess which went on to become the Ocean Princess.  In 2015 we spent 89 days on the Ocean Princess, Dover to Rome around Africa.  Soon after we disembarked, she became part of the Oceania fleet as the Serina.

Ray

Ray, before she was Tahitian Princess, she was one of the Renaissance ships, but I can't remember which number.  Princes bought two of the ships when Renaissance ceased operations after 9/11.  The other was Pacific Princess, also gone from the Princess fleet.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all!

I'm late again this morning.  Two nights of insomnia -- no reason really, except the brain just would not rest. 

My FIL was a sweet man, taken too soon with Pancreatic Cancer.  I treasure my friendships, especially with my BFF who I've known for 64 years. Thank goodness for Medicare (and Tricare) we never get billed for medical services. I think the quote is true, will pass on the pineapple (although Debbie @dfish sure can make it look good).  I'd like the drink and wine. 

Yesterday I spent most of the day vacuuming and steam mopping floors.  Perfect for a rainy day.  Today is still cloudy and a chance of rain, not sure if we'll get more though.  After tomorrow it will heat up again and a streak of sunny, warm days.

I've been to Funchal only once, it was at the end of our 50'th anniversary 55-day Med cruise(s) Nov. 2019.  We started on the Nieuw Statendam and ended on the Koningsdam.  I'd love to get back to see more, we toured the town and did a wine tasting in an old fort.  I bought flowers at the market for our cabin, the last flowers I bought on the trip.  Would love to see some of the outlying areas too.  Here are some of my photos.

A Tulip tree.  I was told the seeds blow in from Africa.

Tuliptree.jpg.b6402becf327ffb9097d466063520c74.jpg

Tables set up each morning for customers.

Tablessetupeachmorning.thumb.jpg.390997f3d2fbce8416b94d271b5e4f1f.jpg

SquareinMkt..jpg.1ba3bd7258f5f5ad742346ffc823422c.jpg

We spent some time at the market.

FunchalFarmersMkt..thumb.jpg.869d4a9125691d9a5b3afce79d85d6be.jpg

Flowersection.thumb.jpg.5a176ccff143cfdabc8263eda84b78c7.jpg

Fishsection.jpg.ee66451fce34660e93d155142be18c92.jpg

Protea

Protea.jpg.0f985e494d8c18e3f81f41de493f3c69.jpg

These are the flowers I bought for our cabin. They were still fresh when we disembarked in FL.

MyflowersNerines.thumb.jpg.f3bb0ba597258e00d135e91936a96d57.jpg

The oldest street in Funchal

OldeststreetinFunchal.jpg.94a62e08981770de33c5b0977d047a42.jpg

200 doors had been painted in Funchal

200doorshadbeenpainted.thumb.jpg.1008891d72db69e4736f933bf6b3083d.jpg

Funchal.thumb.jpg.07fa21223018aaed99562a1a73392fdb.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

We are back, and the road of life that we were traveling on, ended with this doc.  No surgery. (which is what the oncologist said would happen)  and then we find out through this visit, that there is a tumor on the right jaw, and no one will do surgery ever.. Each doc we have been to,  to resolve one problem has told us of more problems, the tumor today, the kidney problems last week, and while this was a new young doc, he knew immediately that DH's thinking ability is pretty much gone. 

All DH could focus on was a single front tooth that was getting looser, and the doc pulled it this morning. Bang, out. Well at least he cant complain that the tooth hurts or that its loose, or have to pay the oral surgeon I saw,  any money.  This doc pulled it, and said, it was on the house.  I told DH to put the tooth under his pillow and the tooth fairy will come by.  DH was about to walk out as we had waited an hour for him to show up.  The doc did tell him that he had no idea why he was there.  And if DH put his faith in his oncologist, he would not have been.  But, if the MRI shows more cancer, (which is what the radiologist's nurse told me is happening) they will probably take DH off of the immunotherapy and put him back on chemo.  

So it is what it is.  Last night DH asked me if I had moved the furniture.  We have lived in this house 21 years, the sofa, has been replaced, but nothing was moved.  This way with his bad eye sight he wont trip over anything, he should know where everything is. but recently I installed a night light in the bedroom, as he has been ending up on my side of the bed thinking that way lead to the door, but he will be trying to open the closet. Again, the mattress was replaced, but that's all.  So I dont know if he knows where he is half the time.  

@smitty34877All kittens are here and accounted for.  Jersey will go to her new home some time this weekend.  A woman we met at the vets is interested in Turnip but that will be the hardest to let go.  He is a feisty little monster, but purrs and snuggles when picked up.  Quiffy sleeps next to me when I work, and Ollie-who is now Olliebeararosa- attacks me when I walk down the hall.

The Ollie is for the new next year F1 driver Ollie Bearman.  But Ollie acts like a squirrel (runs back and forth and tries to hide behind the water bowl)most of the time, and the squirrels in Arosa Switzerland are black.  I think the name sounds important and much better than Squirrel Brains.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 22
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Linda, I hope you didn't get seriously hurt by the flying rock.  Our old gas walk behind mower could throw rocks across the street.  Our battery powered mower hasn't thrown any rocks so far in the three summers we've had it.  However, I now used the trimmer in the areas with a lot of rocks.

I'm glad Mr. Trouble's appointment went well.  I also hope you had earplugs for the loud journey.  😉

Ray, before she was Tahitian Princess, she was one of the Renaissance ships, but I can't remember which number.  Princes bought two of the ships when Renaissance ceased operations after 9/11.  The other was Pacific Princess, also gone from the Princess fleet.

Lenda

Think I misspelled.  It is Sirina.  Interesting that my spell check thinks that is wrong and should be with an e.  Of course it also tells me that Lenda should be Linda.  So much for spell check.

She is still with Oceana.  We thought about booking her again, but noticed that Oceana prices were about double Princess for a similar cruise, so didn't.

Ray

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

We are back, and the road of life that we were traveling on, ended with this doc.  No surgery. (which is what the oncologist said would happen)  and then we find out through this visit, that there is a tumor on the right jaw, and no one will do surgery ever.. Each doc we have been to,  to resolve one problem has told us of more problems, the tumor today, the kidney problems last week, and while this was a new young doc, he knew immediately that DH's thinking ability is pretty much gone. 

All DH could focus on was a single front tooth that was getting looser, and the doc pulled it this morning. Bang, out. Well at least he cant complain that the tooth hurts or that its loose, or have to pay the oral surgeon I saw,  any money.  This doc pulled it, and said, it was on the house.  I told DH to put the tooth under his pillow and the tooth fairy will come by.  DH was about to walk out as we had waited an hour for him to show up.  The doc did tell him that he had no idea why he was there.  And if DH put his faith in his oncologist, he would not have been.  But, if the MRI shows more cancer, (which is what the radiologist's nurse told me is happening) they will probably take DH off of the immunotherapy and put him back on chemo.  

So it is what it is.  Last night DH asked me if I had moved the furniture.  We have lived in this house 21 years, the sofa, has been replaced, but nothing was moved.  This way with his bad eye sight he wont trip over anything, he should know where everything is. but recently I installed a night light in the bedroom, as he has been ending up on my side of the bed thinking that way lead to the door, but he will be trying to open the closet. Again, the mattress was replaced, but that's all.  So I dont know if he knows where he is half the time.  

@smitty34877All kittens are here and accounted for.  Jersey will go to her new home some time this weekend.  A woman we met at the vets is interested in Turnip but that will be the hardest to let go.  He is a feisty little monster, but purrs and snuggles when picked up.  Quiffy sleeps next to me when I work, and Ollie-who is now Olliebeararosa- attacks me when I walk down the hall.

The Ollie is for the new next year F1 driver Ollie Bearman.  But Ollie acts like a squirrel (runs back and forth and tries to hide behind the water bowl)most of the time, and the squirrels in Arosa Switzerland are black.  I think the name sounds important and much better than Squirrel Brains.

Annie, there really are no word so express how I feel about what you learned today.  HUGS! to both of you.

9 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Think I misspelled.  It is Sirina.  Interesting that my spell check thinks that is wrong and should be with an e.  Of course it also tells me that Lenda should be Linda.  So much for spell check.

She is still with Oceana.  We thought about booking her again, but noticed that Oceana prices were about double Princess for a similar cruise, so didn't.

Ray

Ray, if I wrote what I really think of spell check, I would be in CC jail for a long, long time.  I have spell check just  underline the words it doesn't like in red, and then if it is questioning a spelling that us unusual, but correct, I add it to the dictionary.    I once had my boss' boss ask me how long I'd been misspelling my name.

Lenda

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

@marshhawk, Annie, I just didn’t know how to respond to your post except to say that I am really so sorry things are going this way for Chuck. I wish you were getting more support from your providers but I know what things can be like these days. I continue to send my prayers to you both. It is a heartbreaking thing to deal with both mental and physical decline. 
 It does sound like the kitties and kittens provide some needed comic relief!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

@marshhawk I'm so sorry to hear about the new tumor, and that more things seem to be found with each doctor's visit. His having cancer is tough enough for you and Chuck to manage, but made so much more difficult by his mental decline. My DM was diagnosed with breast cancer at a time she had advancing dementia. We only did a lumpectomy and I decided that was all we were going to do at the time. Hugs to you and Chuck.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

So sorry to read of Chuck’s medical situation.  Prayers for you both.  Katherine 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear about both the physical and mental issues although it certainly confirms what you have been fearing. Hugs to you both.... and let the kitties entertain you both.

Susan

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, 

Today is a dreary day but the rain has stopped. We may get a bit more this afternoon and then it's all sun in the forecast. Yesterday was the pool, errands, talking to DM, and getting a few things done around here. Today is staying home and I have a "to-do" list that is keeping me busy. My neighbor came down for tea and left with the last of the enchilada leftovers and a box of books. I want to get some cookies made up today. I'll do chocolate chip and probably a batch of sugar cookie dough and then cook the latter later today or tomorrow. I have several phone calls to make as well and I need to catch the banking up as tomorrow is "payday" for my teacher retirement. 

Have a lovely day. 

Karen

• Like 23

So sorry to hear this news. Now that his accelerating medical issues have been addressed maybe he (and you) can get some support to make his remaining  time more comfortable. You guys have been through so much over the last few months especially.

• Like 22

I finished the back yard mowing. Tomorrow I’ll do more weed eating. Thanks for the concern about my nose. I’m fine. Neighbor called to see how I was. She said she was driving with her arm on the window and a big rock came up and hit her on the arm. She figured it was karma and wanted to check that I was ok. I’m fine. I was more worried about the cars near where she was mowing. She does offer to cut my lawns but I keep telling her I need to do it to stay young. 

• Like 18

@marshhawk I sent you an email concerning your post.  I am so concerned about what you have to deal with basically on your own.  Chuck's medical team should be providing you with more support and answers.  

As for my hernia, I don't know that the hernia is the problem.  I'm just guessing at this point.  The mesh was tacked down at 7 places and the pop occurred near one of them.  I think the other six tacks should hold it in place.  The tummy bulge is smooth, not bumpy like the last time, but that is probably because of the mesh holding most it in place.  I have to put in a call to my doctor.  

Toes are all painted, yoga was great, and we did early voting today.  Now, to relax.

• Like 25

I'm so sorry to hear what you are both experiencing Annie.

God bless you both.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I'm late again this morning.  Two nights of insomnia -- no reason really, except the brain just would not rest. 

My FIL was a sweet man, taken too soon with Pancreatic Cancer.  I treasure my friendships, especially with my BFF who I've known for 64 years. Thank goodness for Medicare (and Tricare) we never get billed for medical services. I think the quote is true, will pass on the pineapple (although Debbie @dfish sure can make it look good).  I'd like the drink and wine. 

Yesterday I spent most of the day vacuuming and steam mopping floors.  Perfect for a rainy day.  Today is still cloudy and a chance of rain, not sure if we'll get more though.  After tomorrow it will heat up again and a streak of sunny, warm days.

I've been to Funchal only once, it was at the end of our 50'th anniversary 55-day Med cruise(s) Nov. 2019.  We started on the Nieuw Statendam and ended on the Koningsdam.  I'd love to get back to see more, we toured the town and did a wine tasting in an old fort.  I bought flowers at the market for our cabin, the last flowers I bought on the trip.  Would love to see some of the outlying areas too.  Here are some of my photos.

A Tulip tree.  I was told the seeds blow in from Africa.

Tuliptree.jpg.b6402becf327ffb9097d466063520c74.jpg

Tables set up each morning for customers.

Tablessetupeachmorning.thumb.jpg.390997f3d2fbce8416b94d271b5e4f1f.jpg

SquareinMkt..jpg.1ba3bd7258f5f5ad742346ffc823422c.jpg

We spent some time at the market.

FunchalFarmersMkt..thumb.jpg.869d4a9125691d9a5b3afce79d85d6be.jpg

Flowersection.thumb.jpg.5a176ccff143cfdabc8263eda84b78c7.jpg

Fishsection.jpg.ee66451fce34660e93d155142be18c92.jpg

Protea

Protea.jpg.0f985e494d8c18e3f81f41de493f3c69.jpg

These are the flowers I bought for our cabin. They were still fresh when we disembarked in FL.

MyflowersNerines.thumb.jpg.f3bb0ba597258e00d135e91936a96d57.jpg

The oldest street in Funchal

OldeststreetinFunchal.jpg.94a62e08981770de33c5b0977d047a42.jpg

200 doors had been painted in Funchal

200doorshadbeenpainted.thumb.jpg.1008891d72db69e4736f933bf6b3083d.jpg

Funchal.thumb.jpg.07fa21223018aaed99562a1a73392fdb.jpg

Carolyn, I just love the painted door!  Very unique!

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Annie, I'm so sorry to hear about the developments today.  Putting you and Chuck at the top of my prayer list. 🙏

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Annie I am sorry that you didn't get more answers for Chuck, other than his worrisome tooth pulled.  I pray for you both.  I am sure your cats and kittens add some fun to your burdens you both are bearing. 🙏

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Annie there just are no words.  Please know you're in my prayers and I wish I could give you a big hug right now!  Hold those kittens close and take care, I know first hand how soothing a purring kitten can be.  

25 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Carolyn, I just love the painted door!  Very unique!

Thank you Sandi, here are a few more we saw that day.  I'd love to go back after only being there once.

door1.thumb.jpg.e9185a434a8a45441d883fb528e68c19.jpg

door2.thumb.jpg.4b977b19043f9063c829a80d71efa989.jpg

door3.thumb.jpg.523afe90f880f9e066447912a43746fd.jpg

I've spent the morning doing cruise planning (of course) and putting a stew in the crock pot.  The weather is perfect for it, cloudy and cool.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3