The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday August 14th, 2024

richwmn

Happy Wednesday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Early start today. Had an early doctor's appointment. Just a routine diabetic checkup. Everything looking good. Have to get my lab work done within the next month. 

I have a meeting and a client and will be spending time grading assignments for three classes. Nice and sunny today, expecting temps in the 80s. Not as humid so enjoyable. 56 days until my cruise. Started making payments for my Eurodam cruise next year to Alaska. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

happy wednesday - Imgflip

• Like 27

Good morning. It’s going to be another hot day. It’s August and we have learned to deal with it here in Florida. Currently 79 so not too bad for any outside chores.

Again not much on our agenda. Sue has been busy planning excursions for our January South America cruise. She does a great job and it makes for great vacations.

Have been to today’s port of call several times. The last time we stayed on aboard and enjoyed the ship. 
As has been the case lately not much happening here so will just say thanks for the FR and post. B.

image.thumb.jpeg.aa62db4400dc53782363cb8a5271fa3d.jpegimage.jpeg.ab182a64c6ff9b8db0ea308479d91d32.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.14e045590f0f40cae8447928d90552b7.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Haha 17

Today's sunrise(or sunset, I know it was August 14 because of the placement on the roll but no time data) is my earliest ever, taken on my one cruise aboard SS Rotterdam V.  It was taken August 14, 1997 as we steamed the inland passage from Seward to Vancouver:

IMG0010.JPG.f6cb8121f9eab66e61b25250e488

This was my first ever cruise on Holland America and my first cruise with CD Rick Spath who later became a great cruise director on Crystal..

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good Wednesday Morning Dailyites!  Just saying hi. I have to walk the dog, and go to work, and I over slept (it was wonderful).  I worked until 11 lat night, and stayed up until 11:30, and I still need sleep, but I only work until 9 today. 3 Shifts. so I will read when I can.  Hugs to all!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning all,

Looks like we have another hot day ahead. There’s no marine layer to burn through…

I’ve attended several powwows over the years where the veterans who have danced in the flag have been code talkers. I think the last time was pre-Covid. 

Our Golden celebrates lizards every day. In fact, we seem to have developed a special tail-less variant here. (Maybe Darwin was right?🙄). It’s funny to see him standing in tall grass, trying to flush them by repeatedly jerking his big paw, then focusing even more because the grass is moving. It can go on for 15 minutes before he gives up.

Busy day- have relatives coming this afternoon and staying for dinner. (I ordered to go). Tomorrow am taking a neighbor for a diagnostic colonoscopy, then staying there until his girlfriend gets back from travel. I still have to pack and do household prep (bills, etc.) and final trip planning for our cruise.)😳😜

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 29

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  Not a fan of lizards; little geckos I can stand, but not big lizards.  Big shout out to all the Navajo Code Talkers who did such an amazing job during the war.  I'll remind DH it's Romance Day with his morning kiss.

It seems we've got a string of days that all have similar temperatures, but that isn't uncommon at this time of year.  Currently it's 17C(62) and we have an expected high of 29(84), which is great and still reminds us we're in summer, not autumn.  Yesterday afternoon I had notifications on all 4 weather apps on my phone of a severe thunderstorm watch - well it stayed as a watch, not a warning, as the storms went both north and south of our city.  I did see that a community a few hours southeast of us had hail - hopefully it wasn't enough to do crop damage.

@0106safe travels to Amsterdam and Rotterdam; hopefully you are able to sleep on your flights.

@smitty34877I've been wondering if the edibles have helped Tana with her appetite - it doesn't sound as though it has made much difference.

@kazuI hope your dizziness has dissipated and that you're feeling better now, though likely battered or bruised from your fall.

@bennybearyikes on your DH falling - thank goodness it wasn't too far, but still!!

This morning we're off to the Field House for the cardiac rehab program; on Monday when we were there we ran into a former colleague of DH's and her husband, who we hadn't seen in likely 25 years, so we'll meet them again this morning and will go for coffee after the program.  It'll be nice to catch up with them.   This afternoon DH has coffee with his bandmates, so I'll have a couple of hours to myself in the house.  I have a bit of sewing to do, so will take advantage of that time to finish a couple of projects.

I'm going to pass on the drink (not a fan of dark rum), would like the wine, and have had caprese salad, but without the pasta.  Because DH is going to Tim Horton's with his buddies, he'll be bringing dinner home for us.  I know he's going to be having a roast beef sandwich, but I've asked for a cilantro lime chicken bowl for a change, and we'll be able to enjoy our dinners on the deck tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who is in need, in pain, in grief, in turmoil, or who just might need a hug.  Cheers to all with celebrations.

Smooth Sailing!  ☺️☺️☺️

Gerry

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for our Hump Day Daily, Rich & thanks to our F & B team.

I was up early but spent some time with Ivan so I’m late to the party today.  Phone just keeps on  a-ringing this morning with more showings.  Today is only 5 thankfully.

Yesterday was a long day for Ivan and I and he was  such a good boy I wanted to make sure he got lots of love this morning since he is going to face it again today (and tomorrow and the next and next and next).  

In fact Ivan learned a new command yesterday.  He had learned to do a down with a treat luring him but yesterday he did it on voice command.

IMG_2649.thumb.jpeg.16f1c87a1ec7a5255cb269f596bf467f.jpeg

I was quite impressed and tossed him dog treats.  

IMG_2650.thumb.jpeg.079c3da218aa4e4b3b9c9f1cc3626bd5.jpeg

Doctor’s appointment and then showings - once they start hopefully I will have time to come back.

prayers to those on the Care list & those that need them.  Cheers to everyone celebrating and cruising.

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Tina, @0106 safe and smooth travels to you and Jonathan today.

IMG_3408.jpeg.dcf0938e780480bbd27567d060300c74.jpeg

And a Big Bon Voyage to you two.  I hope you have a fantastic time and look forward to your LIVE thread.  

IMG_1214.jpeg.63f5aff801b19d89134ddecfb2769ce6.jpeg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a pleasant day in Wisconsin.  It may rain tomorrow...concert in the park day.  Hopefully the weather will co-operate!  I'm seeing lots of news about school starting...our church school starts next week.  I help teach a sewing class to 6th graders, hopefully that all goes well this year also!  I think we have it figured out!  

I'm working on a sewing project...was trying to alter the pattern last night, but didn't have much luck.  I think I found a pattern that will work better with the amount of fabric I have.  I'm wondering if there are any apps or programs that can alter quilt block sizes! 😉

The recipe sounds good, may make it for our weekend at the lake.  Some of our family don't eat carbs, so may make it without the pasta.  We have tomatoes and lots of basil!  I'll stop at Aldi for the mozzarella cheese. 

Haven't been to the port, but the pictures look nice.

@kazuhoping you feel better and get lots of offers on your house.  Our neighbors had 2 days of open houses and got lots of offers then.  Our new neighbors are here.  They have 2 small kiddos, it's so fun to see them...the house hasn't had that much activity in a long time! 😍

Prayers that everyone has a good day, Karen

• Like 29

Good morning everyone from beautiful Turtle Lake near Grand Rapids, MN.  Thank-you for our daily digest of useful information.

I think that lizards are fascinating creatures so hooray for them!  I will do some research to the Navaho Code speakers, I understand they were crucial during WWII.  The is definitely romance in the solitude of where we are today in the wilderness.  We were serenaded by loons last night and I awoke to see an otter enjoying breakfast on a log near the entrance to our cabin.

Funny quote by Mr. Eastwood.

Yes to both the meal and drink suggestions, I love a good Mai Tai occasionally.

We were at today’s destination in 2005, on our very first cruise.  I didn’t own a phone with a camera yet so I don’t have any photos.

Prayers for those on our prayer list.  Cheers to those who are celebrating happy events today!

• Like 28

We've been to today’s port, Road Town, Tortola, twice.  Our first visit was in 2005 while aboard the Westerdam and then this past March while on the Zaandam.  On our first visit, we took a fast boat to The Baths, where we spent several hours exploring the boulders and swimming.  In March we just walked around the port area and had lunch while overlooking the water.

DSCN0998.thumb.jpeg.5b5fb4ea004a4330a8275340de88cd14.jpeg

DSCN0997.thumb.jpeg.416767d5eb99632999153db539dd3c9b.jpeg

DSCN0994.thumb.jpeg.a7d97a68cbd9831eb09206e1ac660b9d.jpeg

IMG_0595.thumb.jpeg.acdc7e28aca7c6f9fc58018bd7ffa27d.jpeg

IMG_0575.thumb.jpeg.de2dd533d48d4f9b2e7fa4168d5f905b.jpeg

IMG_0589.thumb.jpeg.47f1be5567252cde9f6e1df2b1b36aba.jpeg

IMG_0591.thumb.jpeg.800e6e8799270214a984ac38ec132495.jpeg

IMG_0599.thumb.jpeg.ebca1675186b7e0a83d281fa747666e8.jpeg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 3

IMG_82072.JPG.5ff993e2e20500cfca58dcaa3ebfa703.JPG

Thanks for the daily and fleet report.  Of course I like lizards, Code Talkers helped win the war (and there are only a couple left), and I am aware of romance but not really interested!!  Love the quote, yes to the meal, drink and wine and I was in Tortola March 13th but I only got off the ship to get a magnet.  🙂 Three very important days in history - especially SSA!

IMG_8209.thumb.JPG.02e5281f46eb1bb5a23f79049635ee79.JPG

The weather has been pleasant the last couple of days.  Presently at 0700 it is 80F with 58% humidity on the way up to a predicted high a little shy of 100F.  No rain in the forecast. 

IMG_8210.thumb.JPG.efd351f74755c31981dc4b8b398a688f.JPG

I have been so busy the last couple of days and, as I hate typing on my phone, I just read the daily!  Monday I was off to Phx for a C-diff vaccine study.  It will last a couple of years so I won't be able to do others unless I drop out.  Then yesterday I subbed a half day for 4th grade and then the other half of the day for 5th grade.  Funny as I had subbed for the 5th graders last year when they were 4th graders.  I don't know how elementary teachers do it day in and day out.  

IMG_8211.thumb.JPG.7808dda6cc931528cfce4f657aa4877f.JPG

Today I am doing a human cognition study (thru the Alzheimers Registry) conducted by the 

Human Spatial Cognition Lab at the University of Arizona.  I am all for doing these types of things.  Should be fun!!

IMG_8212.JPG.330086e1bf4420983f6929a9301ea68a.JPG

I missed birthdays and anniversaries - I am sorry - and sad to read of the ills, falls, and other yucky stuff.  I hope everyone stays safe and head toward wellness.  Cheers for those celebrating and everyone have a fantastic day.

• Like 30
  • Haha 2

Good morning. It was wonderfully cool when the dogs and I walked earlier .... 50F. High today will be about 80. We had rain again last night but now we go into a dry spell which is supposed to last for only a few days. I hope I can leave the sprinklers off - it really saves on our water bill.

Did all the cruise adjusting yesterday .... am booked on the 28 day Alaska in June next year and am hoping we can adjust the cabin situation. I cancelled the Med cruise for October, 2025 as too long and too strenuous. I will just have to go with my memories of most of those ports in the past.... waaaaayyyy past when they were not crowded, no tickets and lines, and I was a lot faster on my feet.

No real agenda for today.... will just do a bit of this and that ... and maybe read for awhile. @kazuHope the showings get a real bidding war going and I am glad Ivan is enjoying the pats and praise. I know he will enjoy his new home with you since it is with you. And I am sure he will become a celebrity very quickly.

Take care all.... use the bubble wrap!!!!

Susan

• Like 26
  • Thanks 1

Good morning to all

Happy Wednesday.

Thank you to Rich, Vanessa, Debbie, Ann, and Dixie for this great thread.

Prayers for all on the Cares List and Cheers for those celebrating and cruising,

Interesting Days, but more interesting for me is the day in history in 1935 when FDR signed the Social Security Act.

This has not only provided income for seniors, the newly widowed, and the disabled, it also gave me a good job.  I started as a Claims Rep with them as a GS 5 and worked my way up to a management position.  I had a good career with the Agency. 

i have been to Tortola.  The first time we were there we took the ferry over to Virgin Gorda and visited The Baths.  It was very enjoyable.

It already looks like rain here. Not much else to report.  

Have a great day everyone.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 30

@dfish A pack of 20 tickets costs $10, but most rides take 12 tickets, so the other 8 are wasted unless you buy more

That's outrageous!  So essentially it's 10 bucks for one person to go on the Ferris Wheel?  Hard pass for me.  I'd rather take my family on a cruise.  

• Like 22

I'll let the salad go on its merry way, and the cocktail can go with it. For the wine, let's be daring with Eminence Road 2021 Finger Lakes 'Acidalia' Red Blend, $23.99. I have no idea why they call it that. "This is a blend of roughly equal parts Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot sourced from three vineyards on the east side of Seneca Lake. The grapes were crushed with 25% stem inclusion and left to ferment with once-daily punch downs. It spent about 11 months in French oak barrels before being bottled unfined and unfiltered. It’s a light and juicy style with some darker fruit and peppery spice and bright acidity that will leave your mouth watering. It is delicious with a slight chill, perfect for grill season!"

I visited Tortola in 2019 on the Norwegian Epic. I didn't go to Virgin Gorda and now wish that I had.

This morning my temperature was down and my oxygen saturation was up.

I think that I will be able to go to Glimmerglass. I have tickets for The Pirates of Penzance, Elizabeth Cree, La Calisto, and Pagliacci.

buyafowl.jpg.bc6beeef37d2ce26980080c8a69a563c.jpg

• Like 24
  • Haha 6

Good morning all!

We're really enjoying the lower temps this week, I'm a hot weather wimp.  Only around 70F for the next 10 days, maybe some rain this weekend.

Interesting collection of days, I would like the drink, pass on the red wine, and have printed off the last recipe for tonight.  What will go with it I don't know yet 😉 maybe chicken.  Have not been to the port, funny quote (I see that Clint has had 2 failed marriages so I guess he would know!).  Actually that isn't bad for Hollywood.

Yesterday I filled the yard waste bin to the brim and am finally done in the back yard until the raised bed arrives that I ordered.  It feels good to have that done.  Today will be a day of rest and cruise planning!

Safe travels to Dallas Sandi @StLouisCruisers

Bon Voyage Tina @0106!

Paul @kochleffel Good to hear that your temperature has gone down.

@SusieKIslandGirl I was too late to see your question from yesterday before it closed. Here's your post:  "What area of Bellingham were you in? DH was born there, graduated from BHS in 1965 and my DB moved there in 1954 to go to Western. He ended up owning I.V. Wilson Florist. And I was born in West Seattle, right at the junction but the hospital was moved years ago. Small world."

I lived on "G" Street from birth to about 9 years old, then we moved to Crown Lane at the top of Alabama Hill.  I went to Silver Beach Elementary, then Whatcom Junior High.  Moved to CA in '65 when I was 14.  Your DH falls between my middle sister and me, she graduated from Bellingham High in '63.

Later after after getting married, DH and I lived awhile on Franklin St. in the mid '70's when our son was born at St. Joseph's Hospital.  Yes, small world!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We returned to Road Town on April 28 on our way back to FLL.  That time, we took a tour to Virgin Gorda, another island in the BVIs.  This was on the recommendation of DFIL who along with DH's stepmother, and others had rented a catamaran and sailed around the islands. 

Our destination was The Baths, an area of large boulders and caves.  We snorkeled and swam through one of the caves.  Since we didn't want to fight the current to swim back to the starting point, we walked through another cave.  In hindsight, I think the swim would have been easier since there was one steep point where we had to climb over a boulder and use a rope "handrail" to help pull yourself up the boulder.  I didn't get any pictures in either cave because the camera was not waterproof, and I needed both hands walking through the second cave.

The view of Road Town as we headed toward Virgin Gorda.

IMG_0701.thumb.JPG.eddcd70a859d5d3681c477394d47d10a.JPG

The Baths from the parking lot from our open air bus.  Tortola is in the background.

IMG_0706.thumb.JPG.c8c6a951839ad69a8f6bd7825775a630.JPG

The area of The Baths at sea level.  This is just a small portion of the area.

IMG_0713.thumb.JPG.54624e921ff50c069643acdeb8ad6534.JPG

IMG_0714.thumb.JPG.411fa7ad670247a4519e62db4db6b1b8.JPG

IMG_0719.thumb.JPG.a200708d29644fad3f6c912b60a036bc.JPG

The restaurant at the top of The Baths and the views from the restaurant.

IMG_0710.thumb.JPG.2fde1935433bdc5efee2c5e065b239f3.JPG

IMG_0721.thumb.JPG.2b52cd1caaf81be9442059578bb9ab9b.JPG

IMG_0725.thumb.JPG.25d03cf349ab5c22fd9061b05846644d.JPG

Our final view of Road Town and Tortola as we headed to sea and FLL.

IMG_0737.thumb.JPG.1f41fd0810bf789bf2bdb97530914399.JPG

I wish more ships that sail from the US would call at the BVIs.

Lenda

Lovely photos Lenda.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

We're really enjoying the lower temps this week, I'm a hot weather wimp.  Only around 70F for the next 10 days, maybe some rain this weekend.

Interesting collection of days, I would like the drink, pass on the red wine, and have printed off the last recipe for tonight.  What will go with it I don't know yet 😉 maybe chicken.  Have not been to the port, funny quote (I see that Clint has had 2 failed marriages so I guess he would know!).  Actually that isn't bad for Hollywood.

Yesterday I filled the yard waste bin to the brim and am finally done in the back yard until the raised bed arrives that I ordered.  It feels good to have that done.  Today will be a day of rest and cruise planning!

Safe travels to Dallas Sandi @StLouisCruisers

Bon Voyage Tina @0106!

Paul @kochleffel Good to hear that your temperature has gone down.

@SusieKIslandGirl I was too late to see your question from yesterday before it closed. Here's your post:  "What area of Bellingham were you in? DH was born there, graduated from BHS in 1965 and my DB moved there in 1954 to go to Western. He ended up owning I.V. Wilson Florist. And I was born in West Seattle, right at the junction but the hospital was moved years ago. Small world."

I lived on "G" Street from birth to about 9 years old, then we moved to Crown Lane at the top of Alabama Hill.  I went to Silver Beach Elementary, then Whatcom Junior High.  Moved to CA in '65 when I was 14.  Your DH falls between my middle sister and me, she graduated from Bellingham High in '63.

Later after after getting married, DH and I lived awhile on Franklin St. in the mid '70's when our son was born at St. Joseph's Hospital.  Yes, small world!

This month has been a disappointment, every morning has been May gray or June gloom, August is supposed to be sun from rise to set.  The humidity hasn't been pleasant either. 

• Like 18

7 minutes ago, atexsix said:

This month has been a disappointment, every morning has been May gray or June gloom, August is supposed to be sun from rise to set.  The humidity hasn't been pleasant either. 

I have a different opinion.  Cool mornings and evenings, sunny afternoons, almost perfect weather.  Take a look at the rest of the country with either heat waves or flooding.  I love living here in the Pacific Northwest.

Ray

• Like 18

5 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I have a different opinion.  Cool mornings and evenings, sunny afternoons, almost perfect weather.  Take a look at the rest of the country with either heat waves or flooding.  I love living here in the Pacific Northwest.

Ray

I love that too for much of the year, but I like one month of some heat before we get to mid-Oct.

• Like 15