What Kind of Cruise Ship Decor Do You Like Best?

Cruise Critic Chris

What Kind of Cruise Ship Decor Do You Like Best?   

569 members have voted

1. 1. What Kind of Cruise Ship Decor Do You Like Best?

• Colorful and wacky! It sets the vibe for fun.
    • Serene and soothing! Greige helps me relax.
    • Arty and sophisticated! Whimsical pieces make me smile.
    • Nautical and classic! I want to feel like I'm on a ship.
    • Mod and shiny! Give me all the glass and chrome.

• Members

When you walk onto a ship, what kind of vibe do you prefer, when it comes to decor?

Are you a follower of Farcus (Joe), who created Carnival's eye-popping interiors? Or do you want your ship to be a sanctuary at sea, in soothing tones? Are you an art lover, who loves it when ships become floating galleries? Or do you want to feel like you're on a classic ship, with lots of wood and brass? 

Let us know your preference in the poll! And feel free to submit any photos of your favorite ship interiors in this thread. 

Not easy to choose just one! Safe to say art and design is underneath all of the options and luckily there's something that appeals to everyone, a lot of times different subtle vibes on one ship which is really cool. 

Also appreciate just seeing the look of all the different choices, even if one might not be my personal preference aesthetically, I think it's cool to see things that are distinctive and different, eye-catching.

As newer ships have come to see, there's been more and more to marvel at, inside and out, but then you see a classic and it's like "oh yeahhhhh" so, space to appreciate them all right?

😍😍🚢🛳️

• Like 1

I voted for Arty and sophisticated but really wanted to vote for Nautical and classic as well. We are Royal and Celebrity loyalists, and their ships have always felt like what we thought cruise ships should feel like with Celebrity tossing a bit more whimsy into the mix. The trip we took on the Apex recently has spoiled us some more.

2024-01%20Apex--29-2000w.webp

We thought we would see how other lines have progressed and went on a short Carnival weekender with friends that had a free-ish cruise. While we weren't horrified (much nicer than our first Carnival trip 30 years ago), we'll be sticking with the RCL family for sure.

We are due to take a trip on the Icon early next year and can't wait to see what Royal did with a $2B budget.

Dave

• Like 1

I rather like the nautical, classy , elegant look and atmosphere of the current Cunard Queens.  After sailing a number of Farcus Carnival ships, I sailed the Magic and found it forgettable.  Nothing to remember,  boring.  In her last year, we sailed QE2, because she was such a classic.  Well, really not my taste, rather a mix of art deco and mid century modern.  But glad I did it.  I also visited the Queen Mary (Hotel) in Long Beach twice…the second time we stayed overnight.  It is really an experience to see the style of the golden era of ocean liners.  Definitely art deco.  Very wide, curving, slanted corridors.  EM

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LauraS said:

I definitely voted for "Nautical and Classy" but do love the addition of all kinds of art on board!

Totally my vibe too....I love the random art/vintage/antique pieces in interesting corners of the older midsized Holland America ships and their more classic decor.  I hate the brash & gaudy - but then again I was never one for theme parks even as a child.  I find that type of design aesthetic too enervating.  

• Like 1

We much prefer the classical lines of what I consider to be a "proper" cruise ship - a raked  bow, tiered stern, wrap-around prom deck etc rather than an ugly big new ship - a tall block of chicken coops on a barge with a WW1 battleship bow & topped by Starship Enterprise, or Princess' overgrown shopping trolleys.

But those "proper" cruise ships often have dark dark wood-panelled interiors eg Carnival Pride and/or bland decoration eg most P&O ships.

Put sparkling atriums with sweeping staircases, panoramic lifts (elevators) outside and thro atriums, plus big bright public rooms (eg MSC Seaside) into a classic ship design eg P&O Aurora, and that's my ideal ship. 

Because  @Cruise Critic Chris's vote is for decor & not ship design, I've plumped for Mod & Shiny

JB 🙂

• Like 1

It would be between Nautical & Classic (the survey says "classic" not "classy"...) and Arty & Sophisticated.

Either is fine with me, but I will point out that on at least one line I've been on, the desire to go Arty & Sophisticated has led to some uncomfortable seating options...form over function. I'm NOT a fan of that. I like ships with lots of comfortable places to sit and read, watch entertainment, people watch, socialize, etc. Not a big fan of feeling like a pretzel while sitting.

• Like 1

I'm a HAL gal so I still favor the brass and mahogany look of the R-class and S-class ships, with tons of nautical artifacts throughout.

BTW -- TRUE STORY HERE -- growing up in Miami Beach, we were next-door neighbors of Joe Farcus and his brother Morey.  My parents were buddies with his folks.  Yeah -- directly next door, houses adjacent!