Inch of gold/silver

welshrich

Hello

Recently on Jewel I bought a silver chain in the shops, noticed since I've got home that it's tarnished a bit and left a greenish mark around my neck, has anyone else had a similar experience?  Going back in a few weeks time and wondering whether to try and return or exchange it.  Tia.

The inch of gold/silver chains are very inexpensive plated material that I doubt would hold up well over time. You can always show them your concerns when you are back on board and they may try to assist, but I wouldn't be too surprised if there isn't much they can do, in particular if you don't have your original purchase receipt with you at the time.  JMO.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jamestown478 said:

I purchased one years ago and had the same issue. I brought it with on my next cruise and they swapped it out for a new one.

Not a inch of gold but a 20 dollar watch from a sale in the Promenade. Stopped working a week or so after returning home. No big deal but my wife said next cruise she would try to return it. One year later, different ship and no receipt no problem they just said pick any 20 dollar watch. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Not a inch of gold but a 20 dollar watch from a sale in the Promenade. Stopped working a week or so after returning home. No big deal but my wife said next cruise she would try to return it. One year later, different ship and no receipt no problem they just said pick any 20 dollar watch. 

We used to cruise on Royal every August when kids were growing up.  Would buy dd one every year for her birthday.   Began at $5, price later rose to $10.  They would last just a year before battery gave out.  Timing worked out well.  Now she's in her 30's and still buys similar in Walmart for $20.

Sailed my first RCL cruise in 2008 on Liberty of the Seas.   I purchased the inch of gold and had it made into an ankle bracelet. I still wear it every summer it has never made my skin green or black.  I just pop it into the jar of jewelry cleaner that I use for all my real gold and diamond ring. I remember it came with a lifetime guaranty.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, it was an impulse buy as I have a white gold pendant on a yellow gold chain which the shop asst noticed and just said 'have you seen the silver chains?'  the cost was not much less than a silver chain back home so I assumed it was real, ah well, I will ask when I get back on board but think it's one to chalk up to 'once bitten.....'   

13 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

The "inch of gold" story is another chapter in the book of Tanzanite. We have cruised since 1976 and that "precious stone" line of nonsense remains today.

The entire jewelery industry amazes me. Once worthless brown and yellow diamonds are now very expensive chocolate, cognac, and canary diamonds.🤔🤔🤔

• Like 4

On 9/16/2024 at 6:19 AM, welshrich said:

Hello

Recently on Jewel I bought a silver chain in the shops, noticed since I've got home that it's tarnished a bit and left a greenish mark around my neck, has anyone else had a similar experience?  Going back in a few weeks time and wondering whether to try and return or exchange it.  Tia.

Yes - just about everyone.  I would be interested to learn what if anything they do for you  Make sure you bring your cruse statement showing the necklace charge.

Good luck

as someone that worked in the industry, if you are going to buy anything besides real gold, your best choice is vermeil, from italy. It has a far thicker coating of gold on it and with proper care will last for years....the stuff they sell on the cruise ships garbage, and thus the price....w.c. fields said it best.

8 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Is Effy selling junk too?

I purchased a bracelet from them and in less than a year a stone fell out.  I took it, along with the original receipt, with me on my next cruise. 

Their response was I had to mail it to New York to have it repaired. VERY disappointed in their so called customer service.

26 minutes ago, taznremmy said:

I purchased a bracelet from them and in less than a year a stone fell out.  I took it, along with the original receipt, with me on my next cruise. 

Their response was I had to mail it to New York to have it repaired. VERY disappointed in their so called customer service.

Thanks. We've had great luck over the years with Kay's Fine Jewelers on St. Marten. Had a stone come lose in a ring and they had it fixed within a couple of hours, no receipt needed and no charge. They knew who we were.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Thanks. We've had great luck over the years with Kay's Fine Jewelers on St. Marten. Had a stone come lose in a ring and they had it fixed within a couple of hours, no receipt needed and no charge. They knew who we were.

We also have had good luck with Kay's in St Maarten and Royal Gems in St Kitt's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1