Our Mom, Jan Fishbein

Sharicruz

Her laugh still rings in my ears!  Boy she had just the greatest I Love life laugh!  She made everything more fun, more bright, more, more, more everything. I fell in love with her at first meeting and so sad we will not meet again on this earth. 

When I developed a serious sinus infection keeping me from flying and causing me to miss embarkation in Miami, she made catching the boat in Nassau seamless and easy. She was a no nonsense, can do gal and I loved her. She was just that good and strong and lovely and you couldn’t help but love her. 
‘sorry if there’s typos I can’t see thru the tears. 

• Like 3

My condolences to you and your family.  I never met your Mother. I only had one phone call with her recently and she was most helpful.  I was looking forward to meeting her.

I am so sorry for your loss.

Terri

17 hours ago, Sharicruz said:

My sister Marcy and I are heartbroken to announce the passing or our Mother, Jan Fishbein (Jancruz1).  She was a loving Mother,Grandmother and Great Grandmother.  She just completed her 90th birthday cruise on the Regatta.  Aside from her family, travel was her passion.  She truly enjoyed helping everyone on these boards.  Words cannot express how much we will miss her.

Shari

Baruch Dayan Emes. May her memory always be a blessing to all who knew and loved her.

• Administrators

We'd like to express our condolences to Jan's family as well.  A fixture here on the boards, we appreciated her contributions and loyalty to Cruise Critic and the cruise industry over the years.  She will be missed. 

With greatest sympathies,

LauraS

Cruise Critic

• Like 5

Shari,

Your mom is a giant among men and women with her caring, charm and wit.

My heart goes out to you and Marcy. You are both reflections of her goodness, and you carry her sparkle forever. Much love.....

Nancy

Dear Shari,

I am so sorry to hear about Jan's passing. I'm sorry that we never had the chance to meet her in person. She lived a good life doing what she loved, surrounded by friends and family. I think that's the best life that anyone could want.

Betty

21 hours ago, Sharicruz said:

My sister Marcy and I are heartbroken to announce the passing or our Mother, Jan Fishbein (Jancruz1).  She was a loving Mother,Grandmother and Great Grandmother.  She just completed her 90th birthday cruise on the Regatta.  Aside from her family, travel was her passion.  She truly enjoyed helping everyone on these boards.  Words cannot express how much we will miss her.

Shari

So sorry for your loss. I Loved reading Jancruz's posts. Always thought she had  insider knowledge because she was never wrong.

Our association with Jan is not as long as many others, however, as fellow west coasters we frequently bumped into he always smiling face on recent coastals.  We were on a recent Regatta sailing and found her holding court in Polo Grill two evenings, she was gently “training” new staff in the Oceania way.  

We didn’t rely on her professional services, simply enjoyed her knowledge and wit.

prayers for the family.

I was first introduced to her by Don Horner and Mr FDR here on CruiseCritic and always appreciated her candor, humor, and knowledge of all things Oceania.  The Oceania family has lost one of its most loyal and knowledgeable members.  My deepest sympathy to the Fishbein family. Rest in Peace JanCruz. We will miss you.

• Like 2

I am heartsick at this news.  I was a great admirer of Jancruz on this board for years and always valued her advice.  Then I had the pleasure of sailing with her on board Regatta recently to celebrate her 90th birthday.  She was not only a fountain of knowledge about Oceania, she was a vivacious woman who radiated friendship and positivity.  Her birthday party on board was filled with love because she was surrounded by generations of her family, and of course the admiring Oceania staff.  She was truly a very special lady.  I hope it comforts the Fishbein family to know that she was beloved by so many and will be deeply missed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

@PhD-iva

You were fortunate to have spent a week with Jan and family on Regatta 26 September.

Jan was a guiding force in establishing Oceania.

Don’t I know how fortunate I am!

I am truly grateful to have been able to cruise with Jan and to work with her daughter!  It was through their family that I was able to connect with Vertygo on these boards and We traveled together for the first time as cabin mates on the Regatta 26 September cruise to celebrate Jan’s 90th birthday. We had so much fun and I am so fortunate to have been able to spend time to get to know their family better, and cruise with Linda for the first time. Hopefully not for the last time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reading through this thread I'm reminded of many of Jan's traits that those of us that knew her enjoyed and appreciated. She was a legend and a wonder. I was fortunate enough to have met her and Stu on a hosted cruise about 7-8 years ago. I had to look that up as it seems longer. Since then we've been on another 3 or 4 cruises with them. Jan loved to host group dinners and parties, put together dinners in port, and just always be available to those in her group and as we've seen in posts on this thread, to others. We had a lot of fun on the cruises we were on with her & Stu. She related many wonderful stories about cruising, and some other things. It was also a lot of fun to watch the staff on board take care of her. 

Although it's sad to see the passing of those we care about, it's somehow comforting that she was able to celebrate her big birthday doing what she loved. I feel fortunate to have known her and to be able to spend my vacation time with her over the years. One of a kind really is an understatement. 

Condolences to all in the Fishbein family.  

• Like 5

Oh gosh, I was eagerly awaiting her return from her cruise as I have greatly missed her input these past few days. This forum will never be the same without her. So very sorry for your great loss 💗