Make a 10 am flight out of FLL?

barbatkins

Sailing on Celebrity in late January out of Ft. Lauderdale and American 

just changed my return home flight to 10:00 am.  If I carry off my bag, and grab a cab,

will I  be able to make that flight?

otherwise it’s mid afternoon before the next one…..

thanks for yalls input

It’s definitely possible. It totally depends on your risk tolerance. You can typically be at FLL by 8:15 with minimal rushing. Although you’re about to get a response with every what if scenario in the book. 

• Like 10

I’ve done it many times with carry-on and even checked luggage. As long as you realize there could be potential mishaps that cause you to miss the flight. I don’t think there’s a problem in trying. Just be sure to have a back up plan.

• Like 3

The key word is probably, if the ship clears on time.  Ask yourself also - how many ships also docking that day and how big are they and is it a Saturday.  If it's a Saturday with Icon sized ships in good luck, you'll need it.  It took us almost 30 minutes just to get through TSA pre-check.  Also ask yourself, what is my Plan B.  Most flights in mid-day will be 100% full so if you miss an early flight there may not be another until night or even the next day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, barbatkins said:

Sailing on Celebrity in late January out of Ft. Lauderdale and American 

just changed my return home flight to 10:00 am.  If I carry off my bag, and grab a cab,

will I  be able to make that flight?

otherwise it’s mid afternoon before the next one…..

thanks for yalls input

I hear you loud and clear; United just changed us to 9:50 AM.  Anyway, we hired a private car and plan to walk off with out luggage, as we are arriving from across the pond on Ascent🤷‍♀️.  We have made a 10:00 easily before, but every time is a new scenario...good luck!

If you walk off immediately, and I mean be one of the first people if not the first person off of the ship you’ll likely be fine especially with how close the port is to the airport. 

+1 for TSA pre check as well. It makes the entire airport experience so much better overall and will relieve some pressure at the airport when you get there. Early morning FLL is pretty busy and you’ll thank yourself later if you have precheck. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, notscb said:

If you walk off immediately, and I mean be one of the first people if not the first person off of the ship you’ll likely be fine especially with how close the port is to the airport. 

And to do that you'll need to be at the designated meeting point EARLY. They line up the luggage in order of arrival and that is the order you are walked to the gangway in.

Just now, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

And to do that you'll need to be at the designated meeting point EARLY. They line up the luggage in order of arrival and that is the order you are walked to the gangway in.

I’d recommend complete self debarkation, sorry if that wasn’t clear. First off the ship with everything you have with you. Don’t rely on the cruise line handling your luggage if you’re trying to get to the airport so early. 

3 minutes ago, notscb said:

I’d recommend complete self debarkation, sorry if that wasn’t clear. First off the ship with everything you have with you. Don’t rely on the cruise line handling your luggage if you’re trying to get to the airport so early. 

Yes….i plan to carry my one bag off…..and I do have TSA Pre.

worst case scenario……I don’t make it and have to get a hotel and leave next day.  I’m retired…. So it’s not a huge worry.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, notscb said:

Yeah, I got that. But they have self-debark meet in a lounge or area and line your luggage up in arrival order. It's not the random line that just starts.

1 minute ago, barbatkins said:

worst case scenario……I don’t make it and have to get a hotel and leave next day.  I’m retired…. So it’s not a huge worry.

I’m glad you can make the best of it either way. I know it’s not possible for everyone, but I think flexibility is the biggest “hack” in any travel. 

well. You can do self walk off. What isnt factored in here are the number of passengers from other cruise lines disembarking same time as someone mentioned. . And.  If there is an accident on the highway or other traffic issues, the 15 minutes to airport goes out the window.   Happened to us. Accident on other side of highway. We were crawling along. Then at airport TSA…. they were not running. a Nexus/Trusted traveller separate line.  Some airlines are now not accepting luggage checked in at new cutoff time - 1 hour before flight. Guess it depends on your stress tolerance 

6 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

This part isn’t necessary at all. Wait 5 minutes, maybe not even that long. There will be a forward and aft exit open. You’ll walk right off with zero line. We’ve done this on probably a dozen cruises. The doors by the theater entrance are almost always open. 

We just did it in Rome. Left the cabin at 6:55am, in a car before 7am. We managed to get to the airport before a lady that lined up at 5:30am. I didn’t even get up until 6:15.

8 hours ago, barbatkins said:

In that case why don’t you just book the afternoon flight and a day room somewhere or an excursion with airport drop off and relax?

No worry that last evening, no need to be up at the crack of dawn, No fretting if for some reason there is a delay in letting passengers off. No need to carry your own luggage off…Leave the walk off space for those with work commitments that have no option other than head home on an early flight…

Just a personal preference…I do understand that many guests have issues with ‘only one direct flight a day’ scenarios and work commitments but I find it hard to understand the pressure some guests put themselves in unnecessarily…Last Equinox cruise we were chatting to an elderly couple who were lamenting that they found self debark increasingly hard. When we asked what time their flight was they said they were driving home (Port Canaveral area) and had booked a grocery delivery for midday….Words failed me…

Aloha. Have been blessed to cruise since 1971 and countless times from FLL. Now retired I divide time between NY an Honolulu but for years owned a condo near Ft Lauderdale where we would weekend. Point of the story is that everything and anything can and has happened with that airport. My opinion is after a delightful voyage the last thing I would want is the anxiety of flight issues. Therefore I never schedule a flight before noon. I would rather relax at the airport for hours then the agita of rescheduling and all the stress. 

• Like 3

I would change my flight.  Too many unpredictable things can happen.  Sometimes the customs is slow to get to your ship.  We had an incident once because their was an accident on the highway- and no cabs were entering or exiting the port for over one hour.   In addition, sometimes the airports security and check in process is backed up .  If no later flight is available, consider staying an extra day.  Why end your cruise experience negatively. 

16 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I hear you loud and clear; United just changed us to 9:50 AM.  Anyway, we hired a private car and plan to walk off with out luggage, as we are arriving from across the pond on Ascent🤷‍♀️.  We have made a 10:00 easily before, but every time is a new scenario...good luck!

While I would normally say that a 9:50 should work, I wouldn’t do it for a TA. We are on the same cruise. They have to clear EVERYONE for customs, including crew. Our last TAs didn’t even start walkoffs until 8:45-9:00. If you are checking luggage, it will have to be checked by 8:50.  Because of this, we booked our flight at 12:30.

• Like 2

As others have said, it will probably be much easier if the debarkation isn’t on a Saturday..we disembarked Beyond on a Sunday recently and was at FLL easily by 8:30..sitting at the gate actually at that time..

Since you are asking this question...it does concern you.  

Worst case scenario...you miss your flight due to numerous delays that could happen.  So you have to ask yourself if you have a back up plan, and are you prepared to use it. 

Best case:  You use self assist, and there are no delays with the ship coming in.  The ship docks close enough to see the airport...so assuming traffic running Ok.. it's a short taxi/Uber ride to airport.  You use your TSA select and breeze through security.  Time to relax at the gate with that cup of coffee.  

We have taken the 10 am JetBlue flight from FLL to Boston after cruises 3 times already,  and are doing it again in January. We carry off our bags then grab a cab. We have always gotten to FLL by 8 am. Easy peasy. 

Aloha. Another issue which came to mind since you are arriving from a TA is that there are generally Customs and Immigration issues.  I know the departures are generally delayed because of Coast Guard issues but unsure of the arrival delays.  I have been blessed to sail many TAs but honestly never calculated an early flight and wish you well. All the best for a wonderful trip

I talked with someone on the Retreat line.  She said T25 is known for fast service and has lots of cameras for face recognition.  Also that the ship will be in by 5:00 AM, if not earlier due to being a TA.  She mentioned that 8:00 AM would be the latest, especially if a person was walking off with their luggage.  So, like everything else in life, it will just depend!  It is always good to have a back-up plan too!  Life is always throwing a curve ball, so just be ready for it!

Sorry, but I meant to quote Purplsmurf, #20 above, along with his “Likes.”

Edited by Lastdance