Thoughts on sailing the caribbean during hurricane season

doone

Wondering everyone's thoughts are about sailing the Carribbean during hurricane season.

I have never been a fan to sail during that time, but was wondering with the Hurricane's this season what is everyone's thoughts and experiences if you have sailed in that time frame, one never knows, maybe I would change my mind...........I look forward to hearing everyone's experiences..........

The possibility of a hurricane is of less concern to me because the ship can get out of the way of the storm. However, the heat and humidity at that time of year would deter me.

Both deter me. I don't want to go somewhere hot when it's hot at home. And although hurricane season runs June to November, early September is the peak, and it seems more of the severe hurricanes have been late rather than early. So I wouldn't book a Caribbean cruise until November at the earliest.

A few years ago we sailed in October. It was a Collectors Cruise -- western and eastern Caribbean.

Left Tampa on time and arrived in Key West on time. We were scheduled to leave Key West at 6 PM. We finally left at 8. I noticed that we were sailing east instead of west. Within a few minutes the captain announced that Hurricane Paula was changing our western Caribbean cruise into an eastern Caribbean cruise. Didn't bother us but some people were mad. We only had a couple of ports that were repeated.

We have cruised in October other times -- in fact just a couple of years ago and nothing happened.

Doesn't bother us.

go every year at this time, never had any issues.;p

We sailedthe Carib bean many imnes dduring gthe years HAL did not pull gghe ships in summer and we never had an issue.. the onlyt ime we had a cruise cancelled due to hurricane was a Canada/ NE c ruise. I would saill gbain hurricane seasason if HAL ewould rbing ships there for summer. Lots of people say they left bacause of hurricaen season but I do not think so. They left for money . IMO. Having booked, same ship, same month, same cab in, for Caribbean In Canafa and Europe, and HAL charges m ore for same ship, same cabin when they leave Caribb ean. Alaska, Europe and Canada b ring in higher fares. We loved those summer I Caribbean cruises and went on many.

Edited by sail7seas

We've sailed many times in Hurricane Season over the years and never had any issues other than missing a Port, etc. We've hit bad Seas in January twice in the Gulf when the Cold Front met the Warm Carib air. We had 26 - 28 ft. Seas both of those Cruises. Weather anytime is a crapshoot! We would definitely book again in Hurricane Season!

My Daughter just got off the Splendor last Tuesday and enjoyed 5 extra nights onboard in gorgeous weather and calm seas before heading back to FLL. If you ask her if she'd sail again in Hurricane weather, she'd tell you in a heartbeat!

Our anniversary is in September and we love to cruise for our anniversary or at least close to it. We get better deals and since we fly stand by it is easier for us to get to the ports as the flights are not as full. We are open to the fact that we could end up being canceled or rerouted when we schedule. Keep an open mind, if you don't mind a little more motion in the ocean (we love rough seas) you can enjoy a cruise during hurricane season. We have actually been on a ship during a hurricane and it was very interesting but did not spoil our vacation.

We have done several in late Oct and November and never had any issues. We don't want to go any earlier, as until our weather at home starts to get bad we are happy enjoying the summer and fall at home.

I'm with you :). Our summers are short so I want to enjoy them while we have them. No desire to go to the Caribbean.

We have done the Caribbean in November a couple of times. By then, the risk is less, the weather is colder here and the gardens are put to bed ;). So I don't mind leaving.

We did have rough seas one November. But, it was still a nice cruise.

To go in September - no desire at all.

Plus, since it is hurricane season, we need to be here in case of tropical storms coming up the Atlantic. Watching Jose right now.

After reading some of these comments it reminded me of of a story about my parents. Mom and dad, both now deceased, loved cruising and loved HAL. I remember my mom telling me one day that she just booked a cruise while my dad was at work and the cruise left in 3 weeks. I guess she found a deal she couldn't refuse so she called her friend whom they cruised with, she booked for herself and her husband as well.

Dad was thrilled when he found out and off they went 3 weeks later on their wonderful cruise. The cruise was mid-October, when she got back she said they never knew it could be so hot and humid and they never sailed the Caribbean in the fall again, they stuck to March when it's nice to get away from the winters and enjoy the Caribbean's warmth and sunshine.

I had forgotten about that cruise my parents went on until reading some posts here, it brought back some wonderful memories of my parents and their love of cruising and also why they never sailed the Caribbean in the fall again😉😉😉😉

Haven't had a problem yet. :D

That's kind of like saying you've never been rear-ended while driving your car. The fact that it's never happened yet doesn't mean it won't happen in the future and it is just as much out of your control.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Typically, the Eastern Caribbean gets storms early - Western later. This year is a crap shoot. We usually sail in Jan, but have an anniversary to celebrate, so an Eastern Caribbean run is scheduled for November. Before you say we're crazy, let me confirm it by saying we're going to San Juan for a couple weeks in Jan to look at condos/neighborhoods. My logic is let's see what buildings/locales weathered the storm.

Typically, the Eastern Caribbean gets storms early - Western later. This year is a crap shoot. We usually sail in Jan, but have an anniversary to celebrate, so an Eastern Caribbean run is scheduled for November. Before you say we're crazy, let me confirm it by saying we're going to San Juan for a couple weeks in Jan to look at condos/neighborhoods. My logic is let's see what buildings/locales weathered the storm.

Sure the condo may have survived but do you want to live without power for weeks ?

Sure the condo may have survived but do you want to live without power for weeks ?
There are buildings with back-up generators and water cisterns, but the condo is to be a nice second residence/vacation rental. We love late summer and fall in Indiana. Our hurricane-season usage would be very minimal, but your concerns are noted. You accept that a combination of risk and insurance are part of the deal if you want to live in a tropical paradise.

The "weeks without power" that you mentioned mostly involves rural areas. The San Juan area had almost all power restored in 3 days after Irma.

bb

And let's remember that some things are relative: long lasting power outages have not been unusual in rural Puerto Rico in recent years.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.