do you think my cabin steward invaded my privacy?

loveandcruises

It's not such a big deal, but last week on the Liberty of the Seas, my cabin steward needed sunglasses for his towel animal. I had three eyeglass cases on my dresser ... eyeglasses, reading glasses and sunglasses. He may or may bot have gone through each case to get to the correct glasses. I am not sure if this was o.k. or not o.k. to go through my stuff. What do you think??

I think this is a matter of personal opinion and how YOU feel about this. For some, sunglasses on the dresser are fair game. For others - I assume for you - it was not appropriate. He was just trying to do something fun for you, but if you feel he violated your personal space, then he did.

Having said that, we do not like the steward going through our stuff. We always put our things away. We never leave anything out in plain sight.

I think this is a matter of personal opinion and how YOU feel about this. For some, sunglasses on the dresser are fair game. For others - I assume for you - it was not appropriate. He was just trying to do something fun for you, but if you feel he violated your personal space, then he did.

Having said that, we do not like the steward going through our stuff. We always put our things away. We never leave anything out in plain sight.

I think if the glasses were out on the desk, it would be a different story. But, OP said they were in their cases. The steward had to open the cases. Not appropriate.

He didn't go through your put away stuff. As you stated, your glass case(s) were in plain sight. It's not like he rifled through your undie drawer and touched and fondled your personal items. If they had been in a drawer, than yes. If it bothers you, in the future tell Stewart that you don't want animal towels. I'd hardly call a pair of glasses as overly personal. I really don't think touching someone else's glasses, reading, seeing or sun as touching a "personal" item. I can tell you when I am out with my friends and family and someone is trying to read the menu or check out a picture who gets the spare reading set first is a scramble.

Just out of curiosity, do you not think he touches personal clothing items of almost every cruiser each and every day that people leave out? Unless, of course, you are meticulous about keeping your cabin clean. Cleaning your toilet is probably more personal than touching your sunglasses. Unlike the other posters above, I really don't think touching a pair of sunglasses is a huge deal. We once had a room steward that would line up the kids stuff toys differently every night. Two of them barked and moved (you remember those old ones that went a few steps forward and barked and flipped). We got bears from Alaska. We come back from dinner one night and they are walking down the hall towards us. We laughed so hard we almost cried.

Edited by notentirelynormal

One time they used a brand new $30 pair of sunglasses for a towel animal. They were in my bag (purse). I did not mind because it looked so cute until the next day after breakfast, when the towel animal was gone along with my glasses. I asked the cabin steward and he claimed he put them on the vanity. My DH thought I must have picked them up, but I searched the room and did not find them.

I kept checking with lost and found. Finally they showed up in lost and found, they were all broken up and the plastic was coming apart. They had obviously gone through the washing machine and were no longer usable. I was offered $10, because that is what the ship was charging for sale glasses.

Now if they use my glasses I am sure to remove them before I go to bed.

One time they used a brand new $30 pair of sunglasses for a towel animal. They were in my bag (purse). I did not mind because it looked so cute until the next day after breakfast, when the towel animal was gone along with my glasses. I asked the cabin steward and he claimed he put them on the vanity. My DH thought I must have picked them up, but I searched the room and did not find them.

I kept checking with lost and found. Finally they showed up in lost and found, they were all broken up and the plastic was coming apart. They had obviously gone through the washing machine and were no longer usable. I was offered $10, because that is what the ship was charging for sale glasses.

Now if they use my glasses I am sure to remove them before I go to bed.

$30? So, they were throwaways anyway?

One time, I left my panties out only to return from dinner to find the towel monkey wearing them.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

You are funny!

And OP, no I don't think your steward was out of line. The cabin attendants work so hard and you complain that yours wanted to make you smile? Better keep your untouchables in drawers.

He didn't go through your put away stuff. As you stated, your glass case(s) were in plain sight. It's not like he rifled through your undie drawer and touched and fondled your personal items. If they had been in a drawer, than yes. If it bothers you, in the future tell Stewart that you don't want animal towels. I'd hardly call a pair of glasses as overly personal. I really don't think touching someone else's glasses, reading, seeing or sun as touching a "personal" item. I can tell you when I am out with my friends and family and someone is trying to read the menu or check out a picture who gets the spare reading set first is a scramble.

Just out of curiosity, do you not think he touches personal clothing items of almost every cruiser each and every day that people leave out? Unless, of course, you are meticulous about keeping your cabin clean. Cleaning your toilet is probably more personal than touching your sunglasses. Unlike the other posters above, I really don't think touching a pair of sunglasses is a huge deal. We once had a room steward that would line up the kids stuff toys differently every night. Two of them barked and moved (you remember those old ones that went a few steps forward and barked and flipped). We got bears from Alaska. We come back from dinner one night and they are walking down the hall towards us. We laughed so hard we almost cried.

Has ANYONE ever had a cabin steward named "Stewart"?

To answer the OP's question, I think you're being just a little over sensitive. While the sunglasses may have been in a case, they were out in the open, and I doubt if the cabin steward meant any harm. There is a saying, "Out of site, out of mind". If you're sensitive or concerned about the cabin steward bothering your items, put them away, out of sight.

I would not have minded in the least to have the steward open eyeglass cases to get one to put on the towel animal. Not an invasion of privacy in my mind.

I've cruises since the 70s. Years ago the stewards would take your nightgown and make a flower or something to leave on the bed. I would hide my nightgown and he always found it and made something out of it. This was commonly done on all the mainstream cruise lines. It never occurred to me to be offended or consider this an invasion of privacy. Some people have suites with butlers that will pack/unpack for you, so they handle the cruisers stuff. Never for me, since I'll never cruise in a suite.

Margee

Take a deep breath :). RCI has been doing towel animals for several decades and putting sunglasses (usually on the monkey) is a normal practice and within the scope of the stewards training. They will not go through your things, but if there are sunglasses out in plain sight the stewards will often use them. And by the way, rather then being critical of a steward trying to add to your fun, join in the fun. Once upon a time we had a RCI steward (on a 18 day cruise) who made great towel animals. So one day we decided to turn the cards. DW took one of the robes and stuffed it with a pillow and some clothes and sat the dummy in our chair. She added a hat, sunglasses and a few other items. We then turned the lights real low and essentially back lit the dummy. The next day our steward knocked at the door and greeted us with a huge smile. He said that when he came in our cabin to turn down the bed he turned, saw the dummy, and was so scared he almost screamed! He admitted it was a classic moment.

Hank

If you complained about the Monkey Sunglasses issue; the next day you would have found the long straight snake in your cabin. Takes all your towels rolled up in a straight line hidden behind your bed. Normally you find it after coming out the shower soaking wet, saying where's all the towels.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

It's not such a big deal, but last week on the Liberty of the Seas, my cabin steward needed sunglasses for his towel animal. I had three eyeglass cases on my dresser ... eyeglasses, reading glasses and sunglasses. He may or may bot have gone through each case to get to the correct glasses. I am not sure if this was o.k. or not o.k. to go through my stuff. What do you think??

I think that you are making something out of nothing.

I've cruises since the 70s. Years ago the stewards would take your nightgown and make a flower or something to leave on the bed. I would hide my nightgown and he always found it and made something out of it. This was commonly done on all the mainstream cruise lines.

Exactly what I was thinking; our first cruise was in 1989 and every night we would return to our cabin to find my nightgown fashioned into various things - a frog, a flower, a fish, etc. It became a game to see if our cabin steward would be able to find my nightgown; one night he gave up and used hubby's silk robe instead. We all laughed about it. In my opinion, using glasses from a case on the desk isn't an invasion of privacy.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Smooth Sailing!

NO :confused: They've been doing this for years and this is the first time I have seen this complaint.

Personally, I wouldn't care if they gave the room stewards a break and saved them time by stopping towel animals, but some people like it. I would rather have chocolate.

My experience, it is done quite often.

I have no problem with them doing that.

No

I don't think there is a reasonable expectation of privacy in a hotel room or in a cruise ship cabin.

Had the cabin steward went into your safe and retrieved your sun glasses, that might be a different matter.