Is it reasonable to have to vacate cabins at 7am on disembarkation?

AnOnymously

Is 7am a reasonable time to expect passengers to vacate cabins when disembarking?  

858 members have voted

1. 1. Is 7am a reasonable time to expect passengers to vacate cabins when disembarking?

7am means everyone has to get up at around 6-ish the latest to start getting ready. I don't even get up that early for work. To get a full 8 hours of rest you'd have to be in bed by 10pm. I realize Celebrity Cruises sometimes resemble floating nursing homes but this is ridiculous.

Unfortunately, there has to be some give and take here. We as passengers, want to board the first day as early as possible and then would prefer to stay in our rooms later. The turn around time for getting everything organized for the next sailing is getting shorter and shorter. I, for one, would like to know that my room steward had plenty of time to clean the rooms properly without being rushed.

Do I want to get up that early on the last day of vacation...No!, but I will so that the employees have time to do everything they need to for the next sailing.

This is one of the reasons we choose to stay an extra night after the cruise in the Port city.

Unfortunately, there has to be some give and take here. We as passengers, want to board the first day as early as possible and then would prefer to stay in our rooms later. The turn around time for getting everything organized for the next sailing is getting shorter and shorter. I, for one, would like to know that my room steward had plenty of time to clean the rooms properly without being rushed.

Do I want to get up that early on the last day of vacation...No!, but I will so that the employees have time to do everything they need to for the next sailing.

This is one of the reasons we choose to stay an extra night after the cruise in the Port city.

All very good points and agree with you. No one is complaining about being able to board before 11am.

I think it is ridiculously early. 8 was early. I would rather the boarding time be moved to noon. Why was it changed, what is different now? RCI has only had one cabin attendant for years and they manage turn-around with a 1:00 room access time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edited by NemoCrownie

I think it is ridiculously early. 8 was early. I would rather the boarding time be moved to noon. Why was it changed, what is different now? RCI has only had one cabin attendant for years and they manage turn-around with a 1:00 room access time.

HAL manages it very well, even offering room service breakfast on disembarkation day.

So you can wake up, shower, have a leisurely room service breakfast, finish packing, and sit out on your balcony, not needing to leave your cabin at all that morning until you are ready to get off the ship.

I don't know how they do it, but they manage to do it very well indeed and still have the cabins ready for the new passengers on time.

On the whole, we generally prefer Celebrity to HAL, but I have to admit that this is one area where HAL far outshines Celebrity.

On our December cruise we got the notice to vacate our rooms by 7:00 AM. We got up and dressed and went to the OVC for breakfast around 7:00, leaving our bags in the room. We ate, got our bags and went to the disembarkation lounge and waited there until we left the ship at about 9:45. We would have preferred to stay for the next cruise, but didn't know if we'd get along with the passengers who were booked in our cabin...so, reluctantly, we left.;)

I understand the give and take to vacate a room, so it can be ready for the next group. All hotels deal with that issue. I also accept to get up relatively early, e.g. 7:00 am and to be ready to leave within the next hour or so. Asking me to "vacate" the room for 07:00 am, is asking me to get up during the night( eg before the birds at 06hAM) or to take the risk of being non compliant. Getting up at 6 AM almost equate to not spending the night on board. It's almost like the last night of a cruise becomes more and more only added as a marketing tool, nothing else. I agree with those who support a later check-in at the beginning of the cruise. ( nothing wrong with people boarding the ship at 11h00 am or so, and to only get access to stateroom at 1 or 2 in the afternoon.) Conclusion: 07:00 AM too early.

RCL Sovereign of the seas (1992), RCL Enchantment of the seas (2010), HAL Rotterdam (2014), HAL Maasdam (2015), Celebrity (2017)

On our December cruise we got the notice to vacate our rooms by 7:00 AM. We got up and dressed and went to the OVC for breakfast around 7:00, leaving our bags in the room. We ate, got our bags and went to the disembarkation lounge and waited there until we left the ship at about 9:45. We would have preferred to stay for the next cruise, but didn't know if we'd get along with the passengers who were booked in our cabin...so, reluctantly, we left.;)

Why did it take you until 9:45 to get off? Did your flight info dictate the time?

Unreasonable :mad: The last Celebrity cruise I did on Reflection they were asking for cabins to be vacated at 8am and they were ready for the next guests at 12.30pm, this was on a B2B and happened on both legs so if they can do that then there's no need to ask for cabins to be vacated at 7am.

It's nothing to do with boarding time either, they let you board early but don't let you into your cabin then so it's doesn't come into it at all.

After 10 Celebrity cruises, (and 2 Princess)!my last cruise was with Cunard, I now have three booked with Cunard and one with Celebrity, that speaks volumes. There was no feeling of "we are done with you now, let's move on" and the cabin attendant didn't put the next persons bedding in my overbed cupboard or fresh robes for the next person in my wardrobe, very refreshing among many other things! Next thing Celebrity will be doing is asking you to disembark after dinner on the last evening! Or maybe they will charge extra to keep your cabin for that extra hour :(

Edited by DebbieMacG

I realize Celebrity Cruises sometimes resemble floating nursing homes but this is ridiculous.

Appreciate this very cute and funny above comment. Kind of true, especially on some longer cruises. Agree 7 am as the last and best time-off deadline is way too, too much. It's a vacation, right?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 166,239 views for this posting.

Why did it take you until 9:45 to get off? Did your flight info dictate the time?

Unfortunately, we booked a flight at 2:15 PM at the advice of Choice Air so that we could take advantage of the Luggage Valet Program. Either they didn't know in June when we booked our December flights, or they didn't bother telling us that the Luggage Valet Program had been discontinued...but that's another thread! So, we figured we'd rather sit in the Tuscan Grill with coffee, fruit, juice and pastries than in the Miami airport. (As it turned out we were there anyway until 7:00PM bc our flight had mechanical difficulties). The cruise was wonderful though!

They need to send some chief housekeepers on HAL to learn how to do things.

You can stay in your cabin till your number is called to leave. We are on the early end of disembarkation and usually leave about8:30- 9. I would guess everyone is off by 10.

Embarkation of the next cruise starts at 11:30 and all cabins are ready at that time.

The stewards start preparing the cabins of those who have self disembarkation and clean as rooms are vacated. They give out the tags so they know when everyone is leaving.

It's not as difficult as X is making it seem. They just need better training.

I just got off the Silhouette on Sunday and the written instructions that were delivered to our cabin with our luggage tags specifically asked that we be out of our cabin by 7:00 am and go to our designated areas to await our departure time

On Constellation now and 7am time to vacate cabins in the morning . Also suitcases need to be out by 10 pm on the last night, usually 11pm. It makes packing our last nights clothes a bit awkward as we don't eat till 8.30. Wondering if the crew need an early night ready for early departures!! Modern Luxury, mmm.

7am is ridiculous.

Even 8 am is a bit of a push considering that Celebrity cabins aren't available to the new contingent of passengers until around 2pm (well that has been my experience on the three cruises I have taken with them).

I have to say to the poster who said that Cunard were better that on our recent QE cruise we did find bathrobes for the next occupant in our wardrobes although it was no problem as we had already packed our stuff so the wardrobes were empty.

Cunard ask that you vacate your cabin by 8.30 which seems fine to me. I will say though that they did manage to annoy me by removing the Do Not Disturb card. As a result while we were half-naked in the process of getting dressed at around 7.30 am our steward knocked on our door, no doubt hoping that we were out and he could clean the room.

It really does take the shine off when you realise they just want you gone :( .

Edited by CABINET

We will be getting off Constellation tomorrow and have had the luggage out by 10pm and out of cabin by 7am letter.

For a long time we have thought that cruise lines are bad at making you feel like the valued customer you have been told you are for the preceding cruise on the last day. Recent experiences on both Royal and Azamara have been much better with a more relaxed approach to getting out of your cabin and disembarkation all together. So we find it strange Celebrity appears to be going in the opposite direction.

Disembarkation is from 6.30 to 9.30 am people will depart the ship in a constant flow over that period, there's no way a cabin steward can service all of the cabins that they cover at the same time so there's no real reason for imposing a 7am departure surely?

It's our first Celebrity cruise since September 2015 and we have noticed a number of areas where changes have occurred and not for the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums