Cruise Ship War Still On?

Carnival's latest builds, promise to dwarf Oasis Class ships, even the most recent Harmony of the Seas, which is slightly bigger than her sisters.

Royal Caribbean has one more Oasis Class ship on order currently.

So the question is, is Royal willing to cede the idea that they are no longer the holder of the title of having the Worlds Largest Cruise Ship, and if not, how long until they take that title back?

It takes a few years to build a ship that size, not to mention the planning and design processes.

Oasis Class, by definition was innovative and included A split design, opening up the center of the ship to the elements as well as a neighborhood concept and other features.

Quantum class, while elegant and beautiful is more gimmicky than innovative.

Is there a new class already in the works, or is size not as important as innovation (something, which despite best marketing efforts, does not exist on Quantum Class)?

Carnival's latest builds, promise to dwarf Oasis Class ships, even the most recent Harmony of the Seas, which is slightly bigger than her sisters....

I read that Carnival's planned ships were going to be about 180,000 GRT. If so, that would still be about 40,000 GRT less than Oasis class.

I wish they'd all concentrate on better rather than just bigger.

You know

Better Service

Better Food

Better itineraries

Better prices [not just on the cruise but all up]

Better staff to Pax ratio.

That's true in terms of tonnage, but in terms of passenger capacity, they will have about 150 more passengers than Royal Caribbean's Oasis class

40k less GRT and more passengers...can't say as that would interest me. That has to be a pretty poor passenger to space ratio.

I would like to see more ships the size of the Jewel. With so much glass and outside deck areas you really feel like your on a ship. Anymore it seems the cruise ships are leaning toward making the ship the destination believing bigger is better with more closed in attractions.

Hopefully all the cruise lines do not only build the huge ships. Would love to have better service, food, and pricing.

Just my opinion.

I agree, I will refer to the Radiance Class as a mid size ship and a perfect size, not to small & not to large. A new Radiance Class ship could be built, keeping the glass with perhaps some added touches but one doesn't need all the bells & whistles to make a ship better. Retain some itamacy with a new Radiance Class ship.

CCL are putting more people on a smaller ship than Oasis class; their policy of cramming passengers in like sardines wouldn't appeal to me. RCL will still have the most diverse fleet catering for the widest range of cruise passengers, from the small, intimacy of Vision class through the technical innovation of Quantum class. And Oasis class is still the largest series of passenger cruise ships afloat and will be for a long time ...

I wish they'd all concentrate on better rather than just bigger.

You know

Better Service

Better Food

Better itineraries

Better prices [not just on the cruise but all up]

Better staff to Pax ratio.

Totally agree

On my last cruise I heard from a cabin steward that the new water sides on Harmony also double as actual cannons. This should give RC the advantage in the cruise ship war. If it had got the North Star, like they had wished, they would have the perfect viewing platform to spot their prey. RC should have no problem taking down the Disney Ships with their themed pirate night parties and Roman Candle fireworks.

If the other rumour of Captain Johnny being Harmony's captain are true, he is one step closer to getting that eye patch he has always wanted. After all, he already has the bird for his shoulder. ;)

Let the cruise ship war begin.

Edited by A&L_Ont

Carnival's latest builds, promise to dwarf Oasis Class ships, even the most recent Harmony of the Seas, which is slightly bigger than her sisters.

So the question is, is Royal willing to cede the idea that they are no longer the holder of the title of having the Worlds Largest Cruise Ship, and if not, how long until they take that title back?

It takes a few years to build a ship that size, not to mention the planning and design processes.

Oasis Class, by definition was innovative and included A split design, opening up the center of the ship to the elements as well as a neighborhood concept and other features.

Is there a new class already in the works, or is size not as important as innovation (something, which despite best marketing efforts, does not exist on Quantum Class)?

RCI will still hold the title of worlds largest cruise ships with Oasis class.

Carnival however will gain the title of worlds most cramped cruise ship with building quite a bit smaller, but adding more Passenger Capacity.

On my last cruise I heard from a cabin steward that the new water sides on Harmony also double as actual cannons. This should give RC the advantage in the cruise ship war. If it had got the North Star, like they had wished, they would have the perfect viewing platform to spot their prey. RC should have no problem taking down the Disney Ships with their themed pirate night parties and Roman Candle fireworks.

If the other rumour of Captain Johnny being Harmony's captain are true, he is one step closer to getting that eye patch he has always wanted. After all, he already has the bird for his shoulder. ;)

Let the cruise ship war begin.

LOL! I can see it all now - and Captain Johnny at his finest on the forecastle, sword in hand.....

That's true in terms of tonnage, but in terms of passenger capacity, they will have about 150 more passengers than Royal Caribbean's Oasis class

Increasing passenger capacity doesn't make for a larger ship. It makes for a more crowded ship.

I agree, I will refer to the Radiance Class as a mid size ship and a perfect size, not to small & not to large. A new Radiance Class ship could be built, keeping the glass with perhaps some added touches but one doesn't need all the bells & whistles to make a ship better. Retain some itamacy with a new Radiance Class ship.
That would be nice I agree.

The funny thing is two of those ships are going to Aida and the other two will probably go to Costa. So, are these ships intended to be focused on North American market, European, or somewhere else?

Costa is down 1 ship. :confused:

I cannot imagine having over 6000 passengers on a 180,000 ton ship. Forget about dinner and show reservations, you will need to have reservations for the elevators and public restrooms. I guess it might work if the whole ship is cabins and there are no public areas to try to wade through.

I cannot imagine having over 6000 passengers on a 180,000 ton ship. Forget about dinner and show reservations, you will need to have reservations for the elevators and public restrooms. I guess it might work if the whole ship is cabins and there are no public areas to try to wade through.

You wonder if these ships are targeted for Asian market, where there is not as much premium put on personal space.

Isn't GRT a measure of internal volume? With huge 2 or three level open areas like the royal promenade wouldn't that increase the GRT on Oasis without adding a lot of usable passenger space? What is the actual displacement of each boat?

Unless anything is changing Aida is targeting the german market.

No, this is true. But I thought I read that they may deploy a ship to Asia too.

Also, don't they have co-ed naked saunas on Aida and no formal MDR (just a few buffet restaurants)? That would save some space...

And so it begins...Carnival looks to trick people into thinking they have the largest cruise ships that "dwarf" RC's Oasis class ships. In reality, all they have done is cram more than 1000 more people on a much smaller ship that will in fact be dwarfed by the Oasis class ships.

Hey, I've got a Honda Civic hatchback that I could cram 12 people into, so that must make it bigger than a Humvee! Any buyers? LOL

If this is the case, then I guess Carnival can lay claim to the world's largest floating sardine can. :eek: