Celebrity Safety Video

albertacruiserx2

Sorry... we loved the video! It was light hearted, fun, original, and got the points across that were important. So much better than standing on the deck, in rows of 4, with a life jacket on waiting for the late arrivals to arrive and listening to someone who was bored. Sure... it's hokey. But it's fun too.

8 full boring minutes, including "I can't believe you actually paid attention to the safety video". :confused:

After explaining how to find your assembly station, at 4:50

it is explained how to get to the embarkation deck. "It's the deck where all the lifeboats are, minor little detail that!" You can't smoke or drink while getting there. The subtitles say "you can't do those during safety drills", while you're not even going there during safety drills.

I think this part is very confusing, especially taking into consideration the expected attention span of bored passengers waiting for the drill to be finished.

It wouldn't surprise me if some people when asked just after the drill would tell you that the emergency signal is a drill unless the Captain will tell you otherwise, you must leave non-prescribed medications in your cabin, and then make a run for the lifeboats.

I like the wash your hands cartoon....especially when the octopus washes all his "hands" and fills up the screen with bubbles.

However, maybe I'm not as mature as I should be.....haha.

That, and the tune gets stuck in my head for a few hours.

However, I wasn't impressed with the new safety part of the video, but I'd prefer just the facts

One would see, in the event of a true emergency where passengers had to actually be taken off the ship, just how "cute" and "funny" the new safety video is in terms of actually being effective. The best drill I ever attended was on HAL when the captain came on the PA and announced that unless the talking and lack of attention ceased, we would not be sailing soon. As he said, pay attention so that if something terrible happened, and he had to tell the crew to start removing passengers, people would know what to do instead of just running around screaming!

Yep, cram people into a venue and show them a video that most cant actually see and most others don't want to see.

BUT - and this is a serious question for all you regular cruisers - have you actually taken the time to try and put your lifejacket on fully ?

I must have watched 30+ muster drills and only last year we were required to put it on during a P&O drill - it was actually pretty difficult and both of us needed help.

Do think the video is terrible though.

I like the wash your hands cartoon....especially when the octopus washes all his "hands" and fills up the screen with bubbles.

However, maybe I'm not as mature as I should be.....haha.

That, and the tune gets stuck in my head for a few hours.

First time we saw this was after a trip to Disney...at least it got the “It’s a small world” tune out of my head....

Yep, cram people into a venue and show them a video that most cant actually see and most others don't want to see.

BUT - and this is a serious question for all you regular cruisers - have you actually taken the time to try and put your lifejacket on fully ?

I must have watched 30+ muster drills and only last year we were required to put it on during a P&O drill - it was actually pretty difficult and both of us needed help.

Do think the video is terrible though.

I earlier years with RCI you were required to wear the life vests to muster - which also was always on the promenade deck. Things have changed over the years.

Recently on Eclipse. Muster station in the main entertainment area. So many people packed in most of us couldn't even see the video but could hear it sometimes. Sounded rather comical for a serious presentation and would not be helpful in an emergency. Been to many musters on various ships. This was absolutely the WORST. There was a large group of Germans on board. I was sitting next to a German lady who spoke some English and told me it was her first cruise on an American ship and she kept asking me what they said.....I was embarrassed for Celebrity. Did see her again on the ship and she was enjoying her cruise. Just glad we didn't have a real emergency as I'm sure there would have been a lot of confusion.

The muster drill would be more effective if they did what was required and ended it.

Show where your station is

Demonstrate how to put on the life jacket.

Demonstrate the alarm

Give a few other verbal instructions and rules that are related to that ship

Then end it. It could be over in under 5 minutes and would be more effective because it would keep the people’s attention by giving what is needed instead of burying the info into a lot of useless fluff.

KISS

Celebrity would have been better off investing the money to produce the video into their website😱

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

The muster drill would be more effective if they did what was required and ended it.

The Chief explained earlier:

the purpose of the muster drill, and the muster in an emergency, has nothing to do with lifeboats or evacuating the ship.

So, the main purpose of the muster drill is to teach you where to go in an emergency, not necessarily in an evacuation.

Bluntly, you have three responsibilites as a passenger in an emergency: go to your muster station, shut up, and listen to instructions.

The 8 minute Bond movie maybe shouldn't even discuss where the lifeboats are.

I think that people who are experienced cruisers are always bored by the muster drill, just as experienced fliers are bored by the pre-flight emergency talk and both are anxious to get it over with and onto their journeys. However, they are important. The little "James Bond" video makes a joke of the whole thing and the important information is lost in the farcical presentation. I doubt that anyone taking their first cruise would actually register the important points and instead would look at it as a silly and pointless joke. On our last cruise we were seated in the MDR at tables and in comfy chairs. Most folks couldn't even see the screens because the sun was shining in a way that made viewing difficult unless you were right in front of the screen and not at an angle. Also, there were not enough screens so most couldn't see them at all. What's the point?

Show where your station is

Demonstrate how to put on the life jacket.

Demonstrate the alarm

Give a few other verbal instructions and rules that are related to that ship

Then end it. It could be over in under 5 minutes and would be more effective because it would keep the people’s attention by giving what is needed instead of burying the info into a lot of useless fluff.

KISS

Celebrity would have been better off investing the money to produce the video into their website��

Happy cruising ����������

One of the primary reasons they take as long as they sometimes do - beyond your suggested 5 minutes - is due to the valid requirement of having to confirm by muster station roll call that everyone assigned to that muster location is in fact in attendance. Each stateroom is checked for stragglers or those who are trying to duck out of attending - which is time consuming. If all would take it seriously and show up on time the drills would be more efficient and less time consuming.

That being said, I am also not a fan of these videos and would prefer the traditional drill format.