Are "Chair Hogs" much of a problem on the Celebrity Summit (or her sisters)?

NJCruiser78

Hi everyone, this is my first post here (well, my second, I was advised to ask this question in both cruise questions forum and this one) so I apologize if I'm doing it wrong.

We'll be taking our 6th cruise in July on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda from Bayonne. After being on Royal Caribbean five times (Majesty, Monarch, Sovereign, Oasis and Anthem) it'll be the first cruise we have taken on Celebrity. Luckily, we have not had an issue really with "chair hogs" much, though it was a noticeable problem on Anthem, even though we were still able to find seats. This might be skewed by the fact that the cruise on the Anthem was taken in May while the others were all in December, January or February. I understand Celebrity Summit is much closer to the Sovereign class than the Oasis or Quantum class, but I'm still not sure what I'll find, especially since there is three sea days.

Basically, have you encountered a lot of issues with people "reserving" chairs on the Summit (or sister ships)? If so, what (if anything) can be done about it?

Thank you, I look forward to hearing your responses.

Chair Hog Bullies are a problem on every cruise, with enforcement of the no reserving policy lax to non-existent.

What to do? Complain, complain, complain, verbally on-board and in writing at the end of the cruise review/comments.

The problem is exacerbated by the cruise lines' emphasis on crew members receiving all 10s in the reviews/comments with the result that cruise line staff are reluctant to confront passengers to enforce the rules for fear of receiving less than a 10.

There is an upside to Chair Hog Bullies - I never check out a pool towel anymore. Why bother? I just find a Chair Hog Bully "nest" and help myself to a towel and maybe even a fresh paperback. I spot a likely target on my early morning walk and if it's still untouched a couple of hours later - it's mine.

There is an upside to Chair Hog Bullies - I never check out a pool towel anymore. Why bother? I just find a Chair Hog Bully "nest" and help myself to a towel and maybe even a fresh paperback. I spot a likely target on my early morning walk and if it's still untouched a couple of hours later - it's mine.

Many more of us should do the same!!!

Hi everyone, this is my first post here (well, my second, I was advised to ask this question in both cruise questions forum and this one) so I apologize if I'm doing it wrong.

We'll be taking our 6th cruise in July on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda from Bayonne. After being on Royal Caribbean five times (Majesty, Monarch, Sovereign, Oasis and Anthem) it'll be the first cruise we have taken on Celebrity. Luckily, we have not had an issue really with "chair hogs" much, though it was a noticeable problem on Anthem, even though we were still able to find seats. This might be skewed by the fact that the cruise on the Anthem was taken in May while the others were all in December, January or February. I understand Celebrity Summit is much closer to the Sovereign class than the Oasis or Quantum class, but I'm still not sure what I'll find, especially since there is three sea days.

Basically, have you encountered a lot of issues with people "reserving" chairs on the Summit (or sister ships)? If so, what (if anything) can be done about it?

If you want a lounger on the pool deck or right by the pool then don't wait until midmorning or early afternoon to wonder out and expect to find that perfect spot. I walk every morning around 5:30 for 1.5 hours and during that time I see a few early chair hogs marking their spot. If you elect to stand around for 30 minutes or so and see a lounger with towels and other personal belongings on it and no one coming back to sit in it you can always ask a pool attendant to remove the stuff. Maybe he will or maybe he won't. I personally don't think it's worth the possible confrontation if you elect to remove the items yourself. Unfortunately then there are those lazy individuals that when they are done with the lounger they gather their personal belongings and walk away leaving their dirty towel on the lounger with no intensions of returning. I prefer a lounger on the deck above the pool deck (not a pool or hot tub person) and have never had an issue finding a lounger by the outside rail. I turn my lounger around to look out and watch the water go by while enjoying the sun and my BP.

It's not a problem for us, as we simply find seating further away from the pool. It might takes us an extra minute to get to the pool when we want a dip, but we get great seats with no stress. We're there to relax, and completely avoiding the seating battle is a great way to start. :cool:

I prefer the peace and quiet of my balcony...where I can read in silence, where I can leave my stuff when I need the bathroom, and I don't have to listen to loud music or games. I'm not a snob and I'm not anti-social....I just like to read and sunbathe where it's quiet....I have enough noise in my life!

Welcome to CC and Celebrity boards!

On the Summit last year...there were a few "beds" near the pool area. I am practically certain that some people sleep there all night/day! Maybe they have interior staterooms and the idea of being in the fresh air appeals to them...but...they were there just about every time we walked by the pool area.

Like many others...we prefer being a little bit away from the crowds and noise of the pool area.

Chair Hog Bullies are a problem on every cruise, with enforcement of the no reserving policy lax to non-existent.

What to do? Complain, complain, complain, verbally on-board and in writing at the end of the cruise review/comments.

The problem is exacerbated by the cruise lines' emphasis on crew members receiving all 10s in the reviews/comments with the result that cruise line staff are reluctant to confront passengers to enforce the rules for fear of receiving less than a 10.

Agree with everything in your first three paragraphs, though complaining certainly hasn’t worked thus far. And your last paragraph is simply brilliant! Love it:')

NJcruiser78, welcome to Celebrity. As others have said, chair hogs are ubiquitous. I’ve not had trouble finding a lounger because I don’t need to be near the pool. That said, there have been occasions on which I found available loungers by the pool (never on sea days) so it’s not impossible. Regardless, I Hope you have a wonderful cruise:)

Just off the 1/14/18 12 day Silhouette cruise and guess what Celebrity was taking proactive steps to reduce chair hogging . At the Solarium pool each lounger had a card placed on it explaining the No Chair Saving Policy. At the outside pools, Pool Attendants actively removed towels from chairs . These actions seemed to reduce the number of chair hogs. Kudos to the pool staff for trying !

Every time a chair hog thread is started I always read it. On this board when someone complains about a behavior you always get the other point of view(smoking, sneaking booze on board ect). except this subject. I would love to just once read about someone defending their chair hog behavior. Plenty of people do it. Where are they? Speak up! Defend your actions. I too am a early riser. My wife is not, so I will be out of the cabin for a stroll. What I will do is move hogs stuff to the back lounger. It seems funny to me.

Chair Hogs are bullies, just like someone who butts in line in front of you. They may not be stealing your lunch money, but they are stealing everyone's use of a lounger by "reserving" it with no intention of using it until they are good and ready.

If I'm going to be at the pool for several hours, I like to move Chair Hog Bullies "nests" and then watch for their return. Every once in a while they'll return and look around with puzzled looks, but most often they never return while I'm there.

We all need to complain when there is no enforcement by staff.

We all need to compliment when there is enforcement by staff.

Lack of enforcement just encourages Chair Hog Bullies.

Just off the Summit Jan 20. Yes there are chair hogs (we are up early and cruising around the decks) who have already set up their spots early in the morning. Mostly using the clips to clip their towel to the chair and oftentimes leaving person things on the chair, too. Not one person in sight. From what we could tell, enforcement of removing personal items from a chair that no one has been using for hours is nonexistent unless you ask the pool attendant to do it.

Chair Hogs are bullies, just like someone who butts in line in front of you. They may not be stealing your lunch money, but they are stealing everyone's use of a lounger by "reserving" it with no intention of using it until they are good and ready.

If I'm going to be at the pool for several hours, I like to move Chair Hog Bullies "nests" and then watch for their return. Every once in a while they'll return and look around with puzzled looks, but most often they never return while I'm there.

We all need to complain when there is no enforcement by staff.

We all need to compliment when there is enforcement by staff.

Lack of enforcement just encourages Chair Hog Bullies.

AMEN! Selfishness should not be encouraged and chair hogs are really selfish people who don't care about anyone but themselves. Too many of them on this planet.

Interesting as I thought things like this wouldn’t happen with a more mature crowd (no offence!)

But I suppose you get bullies / *******s everywhere !

Personally I think it avoid any confrontation I would rather sit further away from the pool ! My main worry would be on sea days- has anyone ever had an instance where they simply couldn’t get a sun lounger? Or are there an ample amount?

We are usually able to find 2 loungers together, somewhere, because we don't need to sit in the sun or right next to a pool. On the rare occasion that all the loungers are taken, we go to OVC or Mast Grill for a half hour and make the rounds again. Usually around 2 or 3pm, the pool areas start to clear out a bit.

Just off the 1/14/18 12 day Silhouette cruise and guess what Celebrity was taking proactive steps to reduce chair hogging . At the Solarium pool each lounger had a card placed on it explaining the No Chair Saving Policy. At the outside pools, Pool Attendants actively removed towels from chairs . These actions seemed to reduce the number of chair hogs. Kudos to the pool staff for trying !

We were on the Silhouette in December and did not notice this. Perhaps something started in the new year?

One thing we did notice on the Silhouette was a lot more chair hogging then we were used to, having previously sailed on the Connie, Summit and Infinity. One day, we parked ourselves next to a lounger that had a towel and a book (not even open) placed on a chair. We were there an entire afternoon and never saw the person that "reserved" the chair. We think it might have been a book from the library. We thought about picking it up to check. Should have, I guess.

Chair hogs have been a problem on every cruise regardless of cruiseline we've been on. I've learned that if we have trouble locating an available lounger to go directly to a pool attendant. I politely ask them to assist me in locating 2 loungers together. They sometimes seem a bit awkward, but I just keep rattling on about how nice it is that Celebrity supports passengers by having wonderful pool attendants such as themselves to help passengers and how much I appreciate their help. They always end up locating loungers for us.

(y)

Finally, I hope this is done on all the ships.