Select dinning not available?

the system doesn't allow me to chose Select dining, says it's full? :eek: ;)

I chose late dining time but was thinking we would just show up for select dinning when we're hungry and inform the Maitre D on embarkation day he can release our table for someone on the waiting list.

Can we do that? Is it really limited seating for select dinning? Should I have my name added to a waiting list?

First time with X, we didn't have that issue on RRCL.

Thank you! :D

If select dining is full and late dining is not, there is probably not a waiting list for late dining. Talk to the Maître D when you board to see if you can change. You will not be able to just walk into select when you are hungry unless you are booked for select.

Yes, have your named added to the waiting list. Odds are fairly good you will clear the waitlist if your cruise is not in the next couple of weeks.

Select dining is normally full so “just showing up” may not work.

If you don’t clear the wait list see the MaitreD when you board if your desire to change to select, they will try and accommodate you.

Select dining is the most popular so tends to fill fast, . To start , put your name on the waiting list. Then if you don't get moved do as suggested and see the maitre D on the first night. Depending on how many waiting and your 'status' you may or may not get moved.

Hum.... I think my chances are slim. We are 2 weeks away from embarkation, I have no status and the wait list must be very long.... Beginners mistake assuming we would just "show up"!

Ho! Well! There are worst things in life than a late dinner time! Lol!

Thank you for replying, I will know better the next time!

Still go and ask the Maitre 'd when you get on board. They always have a podium set up by one of the dining rooms to handle issues like this. No cost, no harm in asking. Might as well stick your name on the wait list too, if that option is offered. The worst they can do is say "sorry".

Before Select Dining was available, we had been assigned First Seating when we wanted Second Seating. Once onboard, we headed to the Dining Room and the Maitre'd.

The man in front of us was angry, demanding and insulting to the Maitre'd and, needless to say, did not get the change he wanted. DH stepped up and said something to the effect that he was sorry that the Maitre'd had to put up with that kind of abuse. He respectfully requested a time change if one was available and we received it.

Never hurts to be polite and respectful when asking for a favor.

OP, is it possible that you are booked in an Aqua cabin? If so your assigned dining room is BLU, which is always open for walk-ins. That's what I love about Aqua - I get BLU! ;)

And, by the way, my booking invoice always shows late dining - possibly as a default - and when I questioned Celebrity, that's what they told me.

If this is your case, you will have select dining in BLU.

OP' date=' is it possible that you are booked in an Aqua cabin? If so your assigned dining room is BLU, which is always open for walk-ins. That's what I love about Aqua - I get BLU! ;)

And, by the way, my booking invoice always shows late dining - possibly as a default - and when I questioned Celebrity, that's what they told me.

If this is your case, you will have select dining in BLU.[/quote']

I'd wish!! Lol! No, a balcony for us so I'll get in-line! ;p

OP' date=' is it possible that you are booked in an Aqua cabin? If so your assigned dining room is BLU, which is always open for walk-ins. That's what I love about Aqua - I get BLU! ;)

If this is your case, you will have select dining in BLU.[/quote']

I had the same experience in Aqua. I chose select dining as part of the booking but it was immediately changed by "the system" to late dining.

I had the same experience in Aqua. I chose select dining as part of the booking but it was immediately changed by "the system" to late dining.

Blu is select all the time. You usually receive a time for the first night, but ignore it and go when you want. Of course you might have a line if lots of people choose the same time.

To the OP: Someone is usually stationed in or right outside the MDR on the first day. Go to them and tell them what your preference is. They will try to work it out.

the system doesn't allow me to chose Select dining, says it's full? :eek: ;)

I chose late dining time but was thinking we would just show up for select dinning when we're hungry and inform the Maitre D on embarkation day he can release our table for someone on the waiting list.

Can we do that? Is it really limited seating for select dinning? Should I have my name added to a waiting list?

First time with X, we didn't have that issue on RRCL.

Thank you! :D

We encountered a similar situation where we wanted to switch from Late Seating to Select but it showed as unavailable. I called my Celebrity vacation planner and she was able to check with the food & bev director to get me moved over to Select. It only takes a phone call, and I’d bet far better odds than once onboard when everyone else is trying to make changes…Good luck!

On our last cruise we had a situation where select was full so we had to take late dining because early dining was also full. When we got on board we went right to the MDR and they told us that we were on the waitlist for select dining but it probably wasn’t going to clear, but they would be able to move us from late seating to the early seating. 6 o’clock was a little early for us, but they told us we could be there as late as 6:20 so we did that. It was better for us than late seating would’ve been.

On our last cruise we had a situation where select was full so we had to take late dining because early dining was also full. When we got on board we went right to the MDR and they told us that we were on the waitlist for select dining but it probably wasn’t going to clear, but they would be able to move us from late seating to the early seating. 6 o’clock was a little early for us, but they told us we could be there as late as 6:20 so we did that. It was better for us than late seating would’ve been.

Just curious. Was that change for a full table to early seating? Or did they sit you with others already on early seating?

Only asking because if it is the latter and the other are getting to the table a 6 and you are not getting there until 6:20 the servers quite often waiting on you before starting the meal which would not bbe fair to the others. If on the other hand your group is filling a table than i see no problem especialy if you are making the servers aware of your intention.

The OP asked:

"was thinking we would just show up for select dinning when we're hungry and inform the Maitre D on embarkation day he can release our table for someone on the waiting list. Can we do that? Is it really limited seating for select dinning? "

As you have read, yes, there really is limited seating for select dining. The space allotted for this is only so big.

Last week on Solstice, as my party was waiting in line for Select on the first night, there was a group in front of us. We struck up a conversation with them. They were in late seating but decided to "just show up" at Select. They were politely refused and sent to their designated Late Seating entryway. Expect the same to happen to you. You could consider going to the buffet if Late Seating is really too late for you.

Just curious. Was that change for a full table to early seating? Or did they sit you with others already on early seating?

Only asking because if it is the latter and the other are getting to the table a 6 and you are not getting there until 6:20 the servers quite often waiting on you before starting the meal which would not bbe fair to the others. If on the other hand your group is filling a table than i see no problem especialy if you are making the servers aware of your intention.

Sorry! Should have added that. We were just a table of 2 so nobody was waiting for us. When we would arrive the table of 4 next to us was eating their apps.....we were gone before they finished their dessert. Maybe that’s why it wasn’t a problem for us to show up at 6:20. Small tables move quickly ....we would never have done that if it was a large table, but good question!

Table for more than 2 people it's no correct others to wait for you, It can happen one day because xyz cause the delay, but not doing it all nights.

OP I hope you enjoy your first cruise with Celebrity. I won't repeat the great advice offered by PPs.

If you are stuck with late seating, go to tea to hold you over till 8:30. Ocean View cafe has a lovely spread of finger sandwiches and pastries, which they put out around 4pm. We like to do that in lieu of dinner at least once during a cruise.

Sorry! Should have added that. We were just a table of 2 so nobody was waiting for us. When we would arrive the table of 4 next to us was eating their apps.....we were gone before they finished their dessert. Maybe that’s why it wasn’t a problem for us to show up at 6:20. Small tables move quickly ....we would never have done that if it was a large table, but good question!

I am glad to hear that. I would have been surprised if they told you it would be ok to hold up a table.

As I said, as long as it was just you and no one else affected, that worked out great.

Table for more than 2 people it's no correct others to wait for you, It can happen one day because xyz cause the delay, but not doing it all nights.

Please see my previous post. It was just my husband and I. I would never do it if it was more than the 2 of us.