D+ using D Lounge

First of all I hope I have the terminology correct. In reading various threads it seems that D+ utilize the Diamond Lounge as well as the Concierge lounge. Since RCL changed the policy for D's using CL, which I would guess due to overcrowding (for one of many reasons), doesn't this cause the same overcrowding that was occurring in the CL. I am sure D+ have friends in the D Lounge but will we see the same overcrowding in a smaller space?

I am not trying to have RCL change policy as that is a dead topic. Just curious how others see it.

First of all I hope I have the terminology correct. In reading various threads it seems that D+ utilize the Diamond Lounge as well as the Concierge lounge. Since RCL changed the policy for D's using CL, which I would guess due to overcrowding (for one of many reasons), doesn't this cause the same overcrowding that was occurring in the CL. I am sure D+ have friends in the D Lounge but will we see the same overcrowding in a smaller space?

I am not trying to have RCL change policy as that is a dead topic. Just curious how others see it.

The Concierge lounges on the ships are very small rooms - the lounges they designate as Diamond Cocktail Hour lounges are much larger venues. And they will change the venue depending on the # of D cruisers they have on any particular sailing. The dedicated Diamond lounges on Freedom class for example are bigger than a typical CL. I have yet to see an overcrowded D lounge. It would depend on the sailing.

The Concierge lounges on the ships are very small rooms - the lounges they designate as Diamond Cocktail Hour lounges are much larger venues. And they will change the venue depending on the # of D cruisers they have on any particular sailing. The dedicated Diamond lounges on Freedom class for example are bigger than a typical CL. I have yet to see an overcrowded D lounge. It would depend on the sailing.

D+ can use whatever lounge or dedicated space they want..Just off the INDY and the DL was packed every night..if you were lucky you might have got a seat on the patio...But the "regulars" camped out "early" everynight to save their coveted inside seats..Others on this board that were on this cruise have also written of their feelings about these self important cruisers and their attitudes..The overcrowding that the CL has seen is now happening in the DL on Freedom class ships..Hope RCI will make ajustments depending on number of D & D+ sailing.....

D+ can use whatever lounge or dedicated space they want..Just off the INDY and the DL was packed every night..if you were lucky you might have got a seat on the patio...But the "regulars" camped out "early" everynight to save their coveted inside seats..Others on this board that were on this cruise have also written of their feelings about these self important cruisers and their attitudes..The overcrowding that the CL has seen is now happening in the DL on Freedom class ships..Hope RCI will make ajustments depending on number of D & D+ sailing.....
Why does getting somewhere early enough to ensure you get the seat you want make you "self-important"?

As far as I know, on ships with a D lounge, they only get the D lounge, not both. At least, that's how it was when I was on Freedom.

D+ can use either...........D can only use the D lounge..

Ouch, where does that come from? How does enjoying the company of others with a drink make people self important?

the "attitude" that was shown on the cruise I was just on was down right rude....when we went up to the diamond lounge - it was soooo crowded, granted - a lot of diamond and diamond + - but...the folks sitting at the tables were so rude - openly - to the hostess - calling to her when she was trying to make drinks for others - so that she would have to come to their table nd serve them....heaven forbid they get up and get in line with the folks that were in line for a drink. So the hostess is running around trying to keep everyone happy......

we found that this happened 2 of the nights we went there - and it was "self serving" of these folks to feel they were so "entitled.

It may have been this particular sailing, as there have been many comments about this re: Indy - middle of March sailing - on several threads. there was a lot of "entitlement" going on....

the "attitude" that was shown on the cruise I was just on was down right rude....when we went up to the diamond lounge - it was soooo crowded, granted - a lot of diamond and diamond + - but...the folks sitting at the tables were so rude - openly - to the hostess - calling to her when she was trying to make drinks for others - so that she would have to come to their table nd serve them....heaven forbid they get up and get in line with the folks that were in line for a drink. So the hostess is running around trying to keep everyone happy......

we found that this happened 2 of the nights we went there - and it was "self serving" of these folks to feel they were so "entitled.

It may have been this particular sailing, as there have been many comments about this re: Indy - middle of March sailing - on several threads. there was a lot of "entitlement" going on....

I will agree with you that it sounds like there was a lot of rudeness (and even entitlement if you choose to call it); however, to say the D+ Crown and Anchor Members are "these self important cruisers" with attitudes is certainly a rude brushstroke against all D+ members!

We've been on the Independence twice. The first cruise on the Indy was in 2009 and Ricardo Mock was the Diamond Lounge Concierge and he never had the cocktail hour in the DL. He held it in the late night dance club, can't recall the name but we referred to it as the "dungeon". Plenty room and no problems. Everyone enjoyed it. This past Feb the Diamond Lounge Concierge had the cocktail hour in the Diamond Lounge and it was very crowded. We are D+ and we went to the CL where it was never crowded, however we never go until late so it may have been crowded earlier. Point I guess is that it seems much better to have these cocktail hours in an alternate lounge that will accommodate many people or have a satellite opened. I have no idea who makes that call but it would be interesting to know..

Thanks Tracysue..for backing me up on this one..It was unbelieveable, and those that "can't" or don't want to understand it weren't there to see it for themselves as many of us that have spoken up were.....:eek:

I will agree with you that it sounds like there was a lot of rudeness (and even entitlement if you choose to call it); however, to say the D+ Crown and Anchor Members are "these self important cruisers" with attitudes is certainly a rude brushstroke against all D+ members!

A wide "brushstroke" against "all" D & D+ C&A was misunderstood by you .It was a personal experience that many of us had on this particular cruise !!!!!:rolleyes:

While I, too, would wonder for the reasoning of D+ cruisers using an overcrowded D lounge when they also have access to the CL, I am sure each person could freely make their own decision as to where they want to spend their time and I don't have a problem with that at all.

It is my understanding that, just as Diamond level C&A members get the benefits afforded to them as Diamond in addition to all the benefits afforded to the Platinum level and Gold level, those C&A members at the D+ level get the same benefits as those at D, P and G levels.

Wouldn't that mean that, since the D lounge is a benefit at the D C&A level, D+ members have access to both lounges, for them to choose which one they want to use at any given time?

It would seem to make sense to me but maybe that's not the case.

Happy sailing,

While I, too, would wonder for the reasoning of D+ cruisers using an overcrowded D lounge when they also have access to the CL, I am sure each person could freely make their own decision as to where they want to spend their time and I don't have a problem with that at all.

It is my understanding that, just as Diamond level C&A members get the benefits afforded to them as Diamond in addition to all the benefits afforded to the Platinum level and Gold level, those C&A members at the D+ level get the same benefits as those at D, P and G levels.

Wouldn't that mean that, since the D lounge is a benefit at the D C&A level, D+ members have access to both lounges, for them to choose which one they want to use at any given time?

It would seem to make sense to me but maybe that's not the case.

Happy sailing,

I would prefer the D lounge over the CL.......can't beat the view...........much better than 4 walls.........

I don't blame you one bit. Although I haven't seen the CL, I know the DL has a great location/view.

Happy sailing,

The CL on the INDY is unfortunately a dungeon..bad planning...With the DL being so crowded on the INDY..a good option would have been the Olive or Twist (which was virtually empty) for the overflow..Hope this will be something RCI will consider on future sailings when there are so many D & D+ onboard.....

Roxana is such a sweetheart. She works so hard and it is such a shame she gets mistreated sometimes.

Roxana is such a sweetheart. She works so hard and it is such a shame she gets mistreated sometimes.

we were feeling for her - she was running, and thee was no excuse from these folks! they just kept asking and asking...... yea, not pretty....w e actually only went those 2 times.....because of the attitude - and we were not a "regular" - as the other d and d+ members noticed...so there was not a welcoming feeling...when we have been on other cruises before - the lounges were always a great place for conversation, fun, sharing of fun times, etc..... not so on this particular cruise..... I'm backing you up "Ashland" - not a great experience.

it would have been wonderful to have Oliver & Twist be the overflow..... wouldn't that have solved so many over crowding issues!

We were on Oasis in December. Being D+, we could use CL or DL (Blaze at that time for HH). There was an very high percentage of D/D+ on board. Blaze was much more friendly and comfortable and we spent our HH's there.

On Mariner in Feb., again we could use either. The CL was never crowded, especially after the early dinner crowd left. There were rarely more than 10-12 of us in the CL. So for Mariner, the CL was actually a better choice.

How many D's and D+'s on board is key to what makes your HH comfortable. Mariner had a very low rate of D/D+ and it made for a very nice time at HH.

Rick and Deirdra

either. The CL was never crowded, especially after the early dinner crowd left.

I have read this statement often and I feel, as someone on the heels of becoming diamond-this perk is slowly becoming something that is not lookin' to good as some would say.

What about the folks that prefer early seating-Is that happy hour experience often going to somehting akin to a sardine can.??

As for some-not so nice observations by a few on the DL-I can not speak for that-never stepped foot in one but have been in the CL a time or two and come on people-walk in-you are definitly checked out, clicks are evident, entitlement is oozing and then alas- a ray of sunshine-you find someone who introduces themselves and you feel a sigh of relief. The click and entitlement still oozes as the room is so darn small but thank the lord for the friendly few.

Ahhh- crowded CL on Oasis. Way back when I put out there that changes were coming as the design of both the CL and DL did not look very big on both new mega-monsters,.someone said oh yes they are-CL is 2 floors now. Yup-because they have more suites!! It was not designed to hold many.

Changes wil be coming-who knows when but I truly hope they design a new system that is rewarding to returning customers but yet not sticking you in some small room, clawing your way through crowds and entitlement to get a drink that you can't even leave with.

Please RCCL- thing about a change to the sytem!!

we were feeling for her - she was running, and thee was no excuse from these folks! they just kept asking and asking...... yea, not pretty....w e actually only went those 2 times.....because of the attitude - and we were not a "regular" - as the other d and d+ members noticed...so there was not a welcoming feeling...when we have been on other cruises before - the lounges were always a great place for conversation, fun, sharing of fun times, etc..... not so on this particular cruise..... I'm backing you up "Ashland" - not a great experience.

it would have been wonderful to have Oliver & Twist be the overflow..... wouldn't that have solved so many over crowding issues!

We were also on the Indy March 20th sailing and this was our first cruise as "Diamond" members. Since this was our first "Diamond" cruise we were curious as to what the Diamond Lounge experience would be like. What a huge disappointment it was. Every seat was taken every night by 4:45pm. We went on two nights and got a drink and sat outside but after that we just paid for our before dinner drinks at a different bar and didn't bother. It was not a "welcoming" feeling in there and we also witnessed the Diamond members on more than one occasion ordering the staff around and being rude. The only way I knew they were Diamond members were that they yelled at the staff member stating "don't you know I'm a Diamond member".

I think they either need to have it in a different lounge or just give each Diamond and Diamond + members two drink coupons to use at any bar. Just my 2 cents. We will try again on our next cruise on Liberty and see if it is handled differently.

I have read this statement often and I feel, as someone on the heels of becoming diamond-this perk is slowly becoming something that is not lookin' to good as some would say.

What about the folks that prefer early seating-Is that happy hour experience often going to somehting akin to a sardine can.??

As for some-not so nice observations by a few on the DL-I can not speak for that-never stepped foot in one but have been in the CL a time or two and come on people-walk in-you are definitly checked out, clicks are evident, entitlement is oozing and then alas- a ray of sunshine-you find someone who introduces themselves and you feel a sigh of relief. The click and entitlement still oozes as the room is so darn small but thank the lord for the friendly few.

Ahhh- crowded CL on Oasis. Way back when I put out there that changes were coming as the design of both the CL and DL did not look very big on both new mega-monsters,.someone said oh yes they are-CL is 2 floors now. Yup-because they have more suites!! It was not designed to hold many.

Changes wil be coming-who knows when but I truly hope they design a new system that is rewarding to returning customers but yet not sticking you in some small room, clawing your way through crowds and entitlement to get a drink that you can't even leave with.

Please RCCL- thing about a change to the sytem!!

Personally, I think too much attention is made about the negatives that can be experienced in the CL or DL. In general, they are a GREAT perk. I’ve been in both where there were crowds during happy hour and I’ve also experienced relaxed un-crowded times there. Each cruise and ship is different and what you’ve been reading are individual experiences but these do not take place at all times on all ships.

As far as socializing and the perception of cliques, don’t be afraid to introduce yourselves. When you sail often you often see people over and over again and it’s a great conversation starter to smile, introduce yourself and to recall which ship you saw these people on last. Start forming your own relationships.

You may see an occasional blowhard but I’m not aware of generalized entitlement. Only a true idiot would sit in a room full of their peers and display claim to privilege. Just think of those bozos as you would any other bozo you meet in the real world and ignore them.

Archived