Missing a week of college as a freshman?

hawaiikat

My HS senior son wouldn't even go on a cruise with us over his spring break because he wanted to stay home and study for his AP exams. As a college freshman now, he definitely would not miss a week of college to go on a cruise. Also, I'm not sure why a college freshman would want to hang out in a teen club with a bunch of younger kids?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the refresher and thanks for the comment. Grammar is important. However, being a total d bag is something you are very educated on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your final sentence should read, "However, being a total d bag is something on which you are very educated." You don't end a sentence with a preposition.

Hi,

I am a University Professor so I have a little bit of knowledge on the subject. And my answer is - it depends.

What program is your niece in? Is she starting a program like business? Some of these programs start in the second or third year after one or two years of general study and you cannot miss the start-up of most of these. Does her program have a lot of tutorials, if so, these usually are quite strict about attendance. Other programs are not as strict about missing a week of lectures. So without knowing more details that is the best I can offer.

As a Prof. I would love it if I could book off a week during the semester and go on a cruise! I could give my lectures over the internet and run my office hours via email or skype. Sadly, the administration hasn't warmed up to my idea........yet!:D

I won't give advice to the original OP because the young lady in question has likely graduated college by now as this thread was started in2011.

My guess is that the OP's daughter found when the going got tough, mommy told her to come home and never finished her education.

Thank you for the refresher and thanks for the comment. Grammar is important. However, being a total d bag is something you are very educated on.

Your final sentence should read, "However, being a total d bag is something on which you are very educated." You don't end a sentence with a preposition.

However, being a total d bag is something you are very educated on, jerk.

FIFY

Question....Would the same apply to 1st week? My niece will be entering her 2nd year of college in September 2018 and wife and I want to take her on a cruise that falls the first week of classes.

You should start a new thread to get more replies, but your niece SHOULD NOT miss a week of college for a cruise, I don't care what year she is. I work with students at a large university and I can assure you getting behind at anytime, even the beginning of the semester, can be disastrous. In addition, if she is getting any sort of financial aid (including loans and possibly some scholarships), there is a point early in the semester when she could be reported as "not attending" and her aid could be pulled. Not worth the risk either way.

Edited by Mistizoom
H

My guess is that the OP's daughter found when the going got tough, mommy told her to come home and never finished her education.

Or she might be the new resident at your local hospital who is helping out on your hubby's heart surgery.

I wonder if there was anything important she missed that week in 2011.:confused:

The original question, like most questions, can only be answered by: "it depends". A student taking a serious course load at a serious college would likely be putting him/herself far behind - risking grade erosion if not even course failure. However, a bright student taking a light load of fluff courses at some third rate school could probably cut many lectures during a semester and catch up in time for finals by reviewing classmates' notes.

A responsible parent, who is carrying ANY part of the financial burden, however, can only have one point of view on the question: NO!

Actually, grammar is important... being well spoken is probably the most valuable skill you can have when you enter the workforce. Unfortunately, maturity can't be taught...

Whether or not you can manage with missing a week is only half the issue (and in some classes you can't); college is a time to transition from being a child to being an adult. If you can't make due with the months of breaks you get in school, not sure how you are going to cope with getting only 2 weeks off at the discretion of your employer.

Hello! I will be graduating with my 2nd degree in June. I would have been very excited to be taken on a trip at any point during my schooling...being surprised on the other hand would have been a disaster!!

Depending on her workload and the type of classes she is taking it could be completely fine. Some profs do take attendace and award participation marks; others give weekly quizes and in my experience they would not accept vacay as an valid excuse! But on the other hand they are often weighted very lightly, so missing one wouldn't be the end of the world.

I found 1st year to be a read the text, write the test kind of year. However, depending on her program, your daughters experience could be completely different.

So...I think it would a great idea IF you ask her in advance so she could confirm that she wouldn't miss any important tests and could work ahead to complete any assignments that will be due while you are away.

You don't have to give her any details other than when the trip will be.

Good luck! I hope it works out!

JMO but I strongly suggest you take her on thec ruise during a scheduled college break/ vacation To go end of October is a very bad idea IMO.

How about summer after her high sc hool graduation?

IMO, not a good idea. What if she ends up having to miss additional classes due to getting the flu, a family member experiencing a crisis, etc. University should be a time to learn to discipline oneself to put classwork first.

Recalling my own college experience: there was a general rule that more than three lecture cuts in a semester could lead to a course failure; or, at best, an incomplete -- most courses met three times per week, meaning that just one more might have serious impact.

Three unexcused absences from a Naval Science course (participation in which was paying my way) might very likely have had serious financial repercussions.

The bottom line: if someone is not serious about education, maybe he/she should not occupy space in college. Perhaps the hardest lesson every one of must learn is how to say "NO" to yourself.

Thank you all for your opinions. The date is important because she would still be 17 until the last night of the cruise...and get to go to the Teen Club, which she loves. She will turn 18 on the last night of the cruise!

Since this thread, and the question, was started 6 years ago, the “daughter” has mostly likely graduated unless this little mishap was catastrophic. She may have a family and taking her own cruises now. I do wonder though if she still enjoys the Teen Club.

FOR THE RECORD

at 10 am yesterday ... 3/24/17 a thread last replied to in 2011 was revived

hence we have this week's resurrection award.

Some will point out that the new discussion is ACTIVE, and I'll agree it IS

AND to THAT end I'll comment on the OP who wanted to schedule the trip so her 17 year old freshman could go on the cruise and still attend the TEEN CLUB b4 her birthday the last day of the cruise.

180 degrees out from my dd .... we did a graduation cruise immediately after HS grad and she was turning 18 on the second day of the cruise. SUFFERING thru day one where she could not attend the 'adult clubs' was PAIN and we were at the desk at midnight plus one minute to get her sea-pass changed to say 'over 18' ......

After graduating and ESPECIALLY after a few weeks in college I suspect most kids are PAST READY to throw the 'teen club' behind!!!!!

Since this thread, and the question, was started 6 years ago, the “daughter” has mostly likely graduated unless this little mishap was catastrophic. She may have a family and taking her own cruises now. I do wonder though if she still enjoys the Teen Club.

So glad I didn't have any coffee in my mouth when I read that last line![emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Question....Would the same apply to 1st week? My niece will be entering her 2nd year of college in September 2018 and wife and I want to take her on a cruise that falls the first week of classes.

Don't do it, please. Even in large enrollment classes, we can take attendance electronically now. We have policies in place that if a student is not present during the first week of classes, we can drop them from classes.

I can take attendance in a 500 seat lecture hall in under 5 minutes. After 3 absences, drop people. Also, my classes start the homework on day 1. Skipping the first week would be nearly unrecoverable.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

There is no way I would have missed a week of school when I was in college for a vacation. I do not feel my professors would have been understanding or accommodating of me skipping class for a cruise. Wait for a break.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Even more so to the first week. A lot of schools have policies that if you miss the first week you are dropped from the course, no questions asked, and the reason is irrelevant.

Some posters take these questions too personal....lol Some professors are ok with it and some are not. If you ask the professor, you will find out who is and who isn't. Good luck to ANYONE who is in similar situation.

Lol...let's all relax. Breathe in and out...lol:confused:

Well you sure have gotten lots of opinions.:D

The good thing is you have a lot of time to decide what you want to do. After your niece actually enters college, which I assume is September, 2017, your niece may be able to give you information regarding the school polices, the Professors' policies/attitudes, and the advisability of taking that first week off for your cruise.

Feel free to re-renew this thread again to tell us what you decided.;)