Captain's Club Website updated NOW

omeinv

I don't see it as '"sticking" it to everyone. They are simply basing the points on dollars spent which is fair. Someone spending ten grand verses someone spending two grand for their stateroom should receive more points.

Agree 100%. I wish I could afford to cruise in the penthouse suite but that's not likely to ever happen. I totally understand why they would get more points than me. It's about $$$$$... that's it.

Point: People are complaining that earning points on the new program is slower than the old.

Observation: That is based on 1 old point getting 30 new points. Folks, that was a CONVERSION, not matching old to new. Whether or not Celebrity will ever say so in those terms, it was designed to keep current levels across the programs and slow down how many people move to the higher levels.

Point: People say that Celebrity was unfair because they did not give everybody bonus points.

Observation: First off, there had to be some threshold defined. No matter where the line was drawn, there would be a group of people who were just barely left out and they would be unhappy. No way to avoid that, because there was a line defined. Move it up and it satisfies some people but now there is a new group that is close but left behind.

Observation: The anecdotal evidence is that they considered those who were within one cruise (with either 1, 2 or 3 total points) of the next EXISTING level and gave them some bonus points. In most (obviously not all) cases, one more cruise would still earn the promotion.

Opinion: Celebrity has no obligation to provide bonuses to people who assumed they were close to some possible future new tier. How could they know what people were thinking? Sure, many assumed it would look a lot like RCL's (and it does, with some noticeable differences. After all, it is a different company). But even if thae had done something, many people were going to be disappointed. So if I am going to disappoint people no matter what I do, the easiest thing is to do nothing.

Point: People will advance slower under the new program.

Observation: Of course they will. Most discussions prior to the new program admitted it was way too easy to make Elite and Celebrity had to do something. Now they have and (as expected) people are complaining.

Opinion: Most people cruise a particular line because they like the product and are grateful when their repeat business is rewarded/recognized in some fashion (it seems free alcohol is the favorite recognition). I haven't cruised any other line except RCL, but from reading other CC threads, I don't see any other reward program that stands head and shoulders above the Captain's Club. In most cases where people list various benefits, there are pluses and minuses, but nothing overwhelming.

Opinion: Taking the reward program out of the equation, I think Celebrity wins most comparisons. That is subjective and each person has to make their own determination. Only after that comparison has been made and evaluated should any perks be factored in.

These are only my observations/opinions. I do not intend to criticize people who feel they have been short-changed. Their feelings are accurate as to how they perceive the situation and there is no right or wrong way for that.

Great post and agree your observations. :)

Overall Celebrity has done their homework and an overall job well don converting over to a new CC program.

Point: People are complaining that earning points on the new program is slower than the old.

Observation: That is based on 1 old point getting 30 new points. Folks, that was a CONVERSION, not matching old to new. Whether or not Celebrity will ever say so in those terms, it was designed to keep current levels across the programs and slow down how many people move to the higher levels.

Point: People say that Celebrity was unfair because they did not give everybody bonus points.

Observation: First off, there had to be some threshold defined. No matter where the line was drawn, there would be a group of people who were just barely left out and they would be unhappy. No way to avoid that, because there was a line defined. Move it up and it satisfies some people but now there is a new group that is close but left behind.

Observation: The anecdotal evidence is that they considered those who were within one cruise (with either 1, 2 or 3 total points) of the next EXISTING level and gave them some bonus points. In most (obviously not all) cases, one more cruise would still earn the promotion.

Opinion: Celebrity has no obligation to provide bonuses to people who assumed they were close to some possible future new tier. How could they know what people were thinking? Sure, many assumed it would look a lot like RCL's (and it does, with some noticeable differences. After all, it is a different company). But even if thae had done something, many people were going to be disappointed. So if I am going to disappoint people no matter what I do, the easiest thing is to do nothing.

Point: People will advance slower under the new program.

Observation: Of course they will. Most discussions prior to the new program admitted it was way too easy to make Elite and Celebrity had to do something. Now they have and (as expected) people are complaining.

Opinion: Most people cruise a particular line because they like the product and are grateful when their repeat business is rewarded/recognized in some fashion (it seems free alcohol is the favorite recognition). I haven't cruised any other line except RCL, but from reading other CC threads, I don't see any other reward program that stands head and shoulders above the Captain's Club. In most cases where people list various benefits, there are pluses and minuses, but nothing overwhelming.

Opinion: Taking the reward program out of the equation, I think Celebrity wins most comparisons. That is subjective and each person has to make their own determination. Only after that comparison has been made and evaluated should any perks be factored in.

These are only my observations/opinions. I do not intend to criticize people who feel they have been short-changed. Their feelings are accurate as to how they perceive the situation and there is no right or wrong way for that.

Very good post and sums it up very nicely.

So what happens if, let's say, someone booked a cruise under the old program for a sailing after the new program started. Let's take a 14 day cruise in Concierge or Aqua. Would that person get 3x30=90 points (which was in effect at the time they booked) or 5 points per day x 14 = 70?

So what happens if, let's say, someone booked a cruise under the old program for a sailing after the new program started. Let's take a 14 day cruise in Concierge or Aqua. Would that person get 3x30=90 points (which was in effect at the time they booked) or 5 points per day x 14 = 70?

Certainly an interesting question. Captain's club is not part of the booking contract so it's really up to celebrity. I can't imagine grandfathering old points to those who booked prior to tomorrow....what a nightmare to administer. My guess is that you will get the points in effect at the time of your sailing.

I think we'll know tomorrow....

It would be 5 points X 14 for 70 points, which is the program in effect during the cruise. Why would Celebrity give you "old program" points for a cruise that hasn't been taken yet.

I have no problems with the new system. It still recognizes me as Elite due to reciprocity from Royal Caribbean. Someday I'll get more X points myself, but as long as I get my Elite perks and my cocktail before dinner, I'm a happy sailor.

I think the brand does a very nice thing with the reciprocity of the loyalty programs between the three lines and I'm glad they have honored it with the new system.

We're in that exact position.

(Cruise is at final payment and already paid)

I expect 70 points.

As Mike (MVPinBoynton) said - just glad I got what I got under the old program.

Expressing disappointment is understandable.

A lot of people have expressed disappointment and I feel badly for them.

(And it will take most of us longer than we expected to get to higher levels.)

The phrase "Celebrity is sticking it to....." goes way beyond expressing disappointment.

Agreed

Great post and agree your observations. :)

Overall Celebrity has done their homework and an overall job well don converting over to a new CC program.

But bob278's post doesn't seem to agree with your previous confident assertions that there would be no bonus points for anybody, so how can you agree his observations?

I don't see it as '"sticking" it to everyone. They are simply basing the points on dollars spent which is fair. Someone spending ten grand verses someone spending two grand for their stateroom should receive more points.

I am not saying they shouldn't get more points but think the ranges too low for inside/oceanview. Suites should receive 5xs the points not 9xs.

Also picked the following up on another message board:

Note that even if the point-earning rate is per day, an inside cabin on a 7-day cruise will earn less than half of what it used to.

Personally feel Celebrity is alienating these cruisers. It will now take 22 one week cruises to attain Elite Status. You would not enjoy Elite Benefits until your 23rd Celebrity cruise.

Edited by CruisingChick

I am not saying they shouldn't get more points but think the ranges too low for inside/oceanview. Suites should receive 5xs the points not 9xs.

Personally feel Celebrity is alienating these cruisers. It will now take 22 one week cruises to attain Elite Status. You would not enjoy Elite Benefits until your 23rd Celebrity cruise.

Oh well we can agree to disagree. I think that they got it right.

Just how is Celebrity "sticking" it to you?

Are you no longer allowed to eat in MDR with Concierge Class passengers?

Are you no longer allowed to sit on the same loungers by the pool?

Are you no longer allowed to see the entertainment or participate in ship's activities?

Sorry but that phrase really bothers me.

The only thing that has changed is that it will take longer to get some free extras based on what has been spent for the cabin.

You can still get that drink, or still have internet access or still have your laundry done but to get that as a benefit will take longer.

Just as the old saying goes.....You get what you pay for. More $$$ spent more perks. Just thankful they still continue loyalty programs at all with the economy situation. It is a Perk/gift....not a guarantee.

I just looked at the 12/4reflection sailing a basic seven night Caribbean itinerary.

Reelection suite $9,499.00 per person first and second guest

Lowest inside $499.00.

That is over twenty times more cost yet you say they are not entitled to nine times the points.

The new system seems fair to me.

I just looked at the 12/4reflection sailing a basic seven night Caribbean itinerary.

Reelection suite $9,499.00 per person first and second guest

Lowest inside $499.00.

That is over twenty times more cost yet you say they are not entitled to nine times the points.

The new system seems fair to me.

That's for the lowest inside, not all insides are $499 and not on all cruises and what about oceanviews who are also only awarded 2 points?

If they only care about money they should just award points on actual $ spent per cruise.

That's for the lowest inside, not all insides are $499 and not on all cruises and what about oceanviews who are also only awarded 2 points?

If they only care about money they should just award points on actual $ spent per cruise.

No sense debating with you as you are going to twist things to your own perspective.

That lowest inside earns two points. And yes celebrity is a business, not a charity so yes it is about the money.

I'm not "twisting" anything. Just stating facts.

Facts? The fact was an inside was $499 yet your response was well not all insides are 499. That is twisting. The fact was the 499.

You can look at any cruise you want and a penthouse suite will always be at least ten times the cost of any inside and probably Oceanview as well. But you begrudge that suite nine times the points. In fact a suite at

That level probably deserves more points not less.

And no I have never sailed in a suite on Celebrity so this is not a self interest issue. I have sailed in inside cabins and would not complain that anyone who paid twenty times my fare for the same cruise received more benefits. They deserve it.

Facts? The fact was an inside was $499 yet your response was well not all insides are 499. That is twisting. The fact was the 499.

You can look at any cruise you want and a penthouse suite will always be at least ten times the cost of any inside and probably Oceanview as well. But you begrudge that suite nine times the points. In fact a suite at

That level probably deserves more points not less.

And no I have never sailed in a suite on Celebrity so this is not a self interest issue. I have sailed in inside cabins and would not complain that anyone who paid twenty times my fare for the same cruise received more benefits. They deserve it.

I certainly understand what you are saying--and I wholeheartedly agree. Those pricey suites absolutely do deserve more points. What disappointed me is that now the lower priced cabins earn points at a much lower rate than previously. No matter how you look at it, that is losing something. And before you start flaming, I do understand that they can change things at any time, I didn't lose current status, they don't have to give us anything at all, I should be grateful for whatever I get (and I truly am), etc, etc, etc. No matter how they make changes, someone will not be happy. Can we all agree to agree on that and move on? It would be nice to get back to sharing info and stop the bickering. :)

On the other hand, it may incentivize some who might otherwise book inside or ocean view cabins to move up to a higher category for the additional points.

That should help to hold down the prices of the inside and ocean view cabins.

There are many on tight budgets who would be delighted to get a Celebrity cruise in an inside cabin for a rock bottom price and for whom loyalty points would not matter.

Take the current Exciting Deals for example, where one can book a Caribbean cruise in an inside cabin for $199 or an ocean view for $249.

I believe there are many who would be happy to book at those prices even if they received no loyalty points at all.

Edited by fleckle

Actually, on 14 day cruises it will still be slower - unless as mentioned you're in the top grade cabins.

For example, 14 days in inside. Old = 2 credits = 60 points equiv. New prog = 28 points (assuming per day credits)

14 in outside = 2 credits = 60 points equiv. New prog = 28 points (assuming per day credits)

14 in balcony = 2 credits = 60 points equiv. New prog = 42 points (assuming per day credits)

14 in CC = 3 credits = 90 points equiv. New prog = 70 points (assuming per day credits)

In all these situations, for a 14 day cruise, you will progress slower.

It's only in the high end suites that you'll be ahead in the new program.

You may lose out from your bookings. But what I wrote earlier is correct, about progress being faster for those conditions as I replied to.

Obviously your situation is different, and you haven't said what your bookings are. The 14 day example above is different from the 7 day rate earlier.

It doesn't change the situation being referred to. Just your specific bookings. As is often the case, some win, some lose. :D

As mentioned above, instead of 60 points we will get 42 for the first booked cruise. For the second instead of 60 points we will get 35. That is a deficit of 43 points.:(

I currently have 3 credits or 90 under the new system. I have a 10 day Christmas cruise on Equinox in a few weeks. I reserved Concierge Class instead of a regular balcony because the 2 old credits would put us at Select. Now, if I'm understanding the new program correctly, I'll only get 50 new points giving me 140 or 10 shy of Select.

Is that correct? If so, that sucks and I'll have a big problem with it. Especially considering how Christmas cruises are like double the price of non-holiday cruises. I don't see any bonus points when I log on.

I lost out when the last conversion took place because I had a 15 day cruise in 2000 but only received 1 credit because I was told it was before the new program.

Edited by Paulras

This is deja vu for me. I lived through the Royal Caribbean changes a few years ago. I lost a few points on the conversion from a cruise tour but managed to keep my Diamond status.

One of the basic complaints under the old Royal system was that people who lived in Miami could hop on a ship and take a 3 or 4 night cruise in an inside cabin and rack up as many points as those who had to fly in for a 7 night or longer cruise in a balcony cabin. (They gave double points for junior suites and regular suites and for cruises of 12 days or longer)

It sounds to me that this is one of the things the new system addresses by awarding points not only on number of nights, not cruises, and rewarding those who pay more for their cabins.

I agree completely with the new policy even though I usually book an outside cabin, especially on a port intensive cruise as I prefer to spend my money on excursions and am hardly ever in the cabin anyway. We like the Millenium class ships and the ocean view cabins are pretty much the same as the basic veranda cabins but a whole lot cheaper without the veranda that we would probably not use much.