What does the "january is the wave month" mean?

I received an email from cruise critic that said january is known as the "wave month". Does this mean, prices might drop during this month? I have a 9night cruise booked for july with RCCL. Should I keep an eye on the RCCL website for deals or price drops that I can take advantage of? I booked with the cruise line itself, so I should be able to benefit from any type of deal they might have right?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

January is the season for both! White sales and Wave sales. This is the time for lots of new bookings for the coming year. Most lines offer all sorts of enticements to get you to book now. As always, do your homework and don't assume that every deal is golden.;)

Wave Season is an old industry term for the months that many people plan & book their cruises .

Cruise lines will advertise more during this time with what may seem like great deals to many , especially first timers .

Truth is , deals are offered all year long nowadays .

It may just mean that RCI has come up with another fancy scheme to get you to wave goobye to your money while they wave hello to it, and probably in greater quantities than if you booked before the "promotion".

So true.

We just started watching more closely recently and noticed this trend.

Thanks.

Sea Ya

I'm waiting to see if the BOGOHO ends today. I've been waiting to book a cruise and with my luck that will end and we'll have another rip off sale immediately following :rolleyes:

There is another BOGOHO sale starting tomorrow that runs thru the end of January. Sorry to say!!

It may just mean that RCI has come up with another fancy scheme to get you to wave goobye to your money while they wave hello to it, and probably in greater quantities than if you booked before the "promotion".

Ha ha ha ha!

LOVE IT!

I always wonder about the number of people on the CC RCCL forums that are so negative. If you dislike RCCL so much, why are you on their CC forum?

Never understood that myself either; people spend so much time complaining, I wonder at what point they actually begin to enjoy their vacations.

I'm waiting to see if the BOGOHO ends today. I've been waiting to book a cruise and with my luck that will end and we'll have another rip off sale immediately following :rolleyes:

Isn't BOGOHO a good deal? Ours seemed pretty good. (Although I saw a thread that says it's great initially and then they raise prices....so maybe that is why?)

LOL!!! That's a lot of waving. At this rate they may wave me to another cruise line. :D

Isn't BOGOHO a good deal? Ours seemed pretty good. (Although I saw a thread that says it's great initially and then they raise prices....so maybe that is why?)

There have been good deals but not always. You need to know your prices before the promotion starts. Usually the best deals occur at the beginning of a promotion. As time goes on, eventually the base prices start to rise.

There were many more good deals in the first few days of the May 2014 BOGOHO. After that, Royal raised most prices to ridiculous levels and good deals were few and far between.

There have been good deals but not always. You need to know your prices before the promotion starts. Usually the best deals occur at the beginning of a promotion. As time goes on, eventually the base prices start to rise.

Yeah, thanks. I've only recently been looking at prices so haven't seen prices when they first come out. I'm only comparing our cost to other lines on similar ship size, stateroom and itinerary. Will keep my eye open to see when next wave is released (but then looking at summer cruises)

We found this true with the BOGOHO from last May. The price went up by $100pp when the sale started but we still saved almost $1700 with the BOGOHO in the first few days of that sale.

I always wonder about the number of people on the CC RCCL forums that are so negative. If you dislike RCCL so much, why are you on their CC forum?

Maybe once you understand that there is a difference between corporate RCI and the product RCI then you will get it.

Maybe once you understand that there is a difference between corporate RCI and the product RCI then you will get it.

I do understand what you are referring to. However, if you don't like the company that offers the product, why are you still using the product? Cruise another line where you like their corporate office better. You'll be happier and have less to be negative about.

I do understand what you are referring to. However, if you don't like the company that offers the product, why are you still using the product? Cruise another line where you like their corporate office better. You'll be happier and have less to be negative about.

I never said I don't like the company and I am far from unhappy but thanks for the counseling session.

RCI has had some strange sales strategies lately. Other people on this thread understood.

Edited by Ocean Boy

As with all things related to the internet...Anonymity allows people to gripe unencumbered by revealing oneself. Sadly, it seems human nature to talk about the negatives far more often than the positives in any situation.

My personal experience with RCCL is that they typically deliver a good value for my travel dollar. Have there been some "issues" over the past 30 years of cruising with them - of course, but the good experiences far outweigh the bad ones.

All these "special fares" have been frustrating at best. I have been watching a few sailings and the prices before and after the BOBOHO are actually almost the same because they have raised the price of the ist fare to make up the the reduction. Also I have heard RCI agents have been given miss information during the year about these sales.

The BOGOHO at least started out as a legitimate sale before they jacked up the prices to compensate. My next 7 day Freedom cruise will be nearly $1000 less than if I had booked it the day before BOGOHO shorty after I booked in May of this year (2014)

The BOGOHO at least started out as a legitimate sale before they jacked up the prices to compensate. My next 7 day Freedom cruise will be nearly $1000 less than if I had booked it the day before BOGOHO shorty after I booked in May of this year (2014)

That was before RCI figured out what they were doing!:p