Rotaan?!!!!!

imallaboutcruising

We enjoy Roatan. It's great for snorkeling, or exploring the island with a good English speaking guide. Also there is a seafood restaurant (actually the person owns 2, one being on the water, just south of where Royal Caribbean docks, and the other north where Carnival docks) with some of the best warm water lobster, and can be found on Trip Advisor. The name is Gio's.

Rick

It has a lot to offer but the distinction of Honduras holding the murder capital of the world title for several years now has me turned off of visiting again. The final straw was recently when a young NCL crew member, while talking to his wife on his cell phone, walked right out the main port gate and a guy on a bike rolled up and wanted to steal his cell phone, he resisted and was shot dead in the street. Again...my choice to never visit again.....but anyone else, its all yours, have fun... one other tidbit....just keep in mind you have been warned by the State Department as well.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/04/articles/crime/ncl-crew-member-shot-killed-in-roatan-honduras/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g292019-i4482-k7351422-Update_from_NCL_Cruise_Line-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

Edited by rolloman
added link

I loved Roatan also, but I also know to stay in an organized group and to stay on the beaten path. I made the mistake of going on my typical morning run on the island by myself. I knew (4 miles away from the ship) that I had made a big mistake when I bought water at a petrol station that was guarded by men rifles. Not to mention how dicey it was running on the one and only main road. Traffic and stray dogs...... it was an adventure.

I was there in December 2012 with NCL and had a wonderful time. As far as I can tell (from my limited exposure inside of the tour bus), Roatan appears to have better infrastructure and standard of living than many other Carribean islands. There are many other ports I would avoid before Roatan.

Edited by PCHENG

We were there in March and took a private tour of the island and absolutely loved it. It now ranks as one of our favorite ports. We asked our driver about the safety issue and she explained that the problems were on the mainland and not the island. They have very little crime.

Another here who loved their visit to Roatan. Yes, it is a place that you need to be careful but with a little pre-planning ensuring you have a reputable guide to show you around it is also a beautiful island with lots to share. While it is part of Honduras where crime is rated one of the worst around it is an island a ways off the mainland where most of the crime is.

For anyone going plan your day ahead of time and go and enjoy!!

We will be stopping there for the first time on our upcoming cruise, I am actually really looking forward to it. We are not big on ship-organized excursions, any recommendations on what to do there? Is there a nearby beach we can enjoy?

Thanks!

We enjoy Roatan. It's great for snorkeling, or exploring the island with a good English speaking guide. Also there is a seafood restaurant (actually the person owns 2, one being on the water, just south of where Royal Caribbean docks, and the other north where Carnival docks) with some of the best warm water lobster, and can be found on Trip Advisor. The name is Gio's.

Rick

Hi Rick, Happy New Year! :)

What...no BBQed goat? :D

We totally enjoyed the little ferry boat ride from the dock over to the tiny island close by. They had a great animal rescue sanctuary, with really interesting animals to view. Good beach and dock for snorkeling, a history museum, and a very nice lunch set up.

Looking forward to our return there next year. :)

Edited by island lady

We were just in Roatan on a NYE cruise and went to the

Gumbalimba Preservation Park - RT53

We were surprised by how lush and clean the drive was up there. It was a nice park with the monkey's etc but I probably would not go again. It's one of those things that you say "been there done that" afterwards.

But the thing with Roatan...and any country for that matter..it's all about the "Situational awareness". You have to use common sense and be aware of your surroundings. It's like that anywhere in the US as well. True...the state dept had their alerts, but me personally I would book strictly from the ship which is safer. The only bad thing about that is that you are limited which kind of bites. I'm glad you had a great time.

Edited by Droop

No near by beaches except ship excursions to Maya Key which is nice and has great snorkeling, but I think the price is outrageous. I suggest you book a tour with Victor Bodden (google it)and ask to have the final stop be a couple of hours at West Bay. Gorgeous beaches and a beautiful island.

It has a lot to offer but the distinction of Honduras holding the murder capital of the world title for several years now has me turned off of visiting again. The final straw was recently when a young NCL crew member, while talking to his wife on his cell phone, walked right out the main port gate and a guy on a bike rolled up and wanted to steal his cell phone, he resisted and was shot dead in the street. Again...my choice to never visit again.....but anyone else, its all yours, have fun... one other tidbit....just keep in mind you have been warned by the State Department as well.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2014/04/articles/crime/ncl-crew-member-shot-killed-in-roatan-honduras/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g292019-i4482-k7351422-Update_from_NCL_Cruise_Line-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

This could happen in New York, New Orleans, Galveston and any port here in the US or anywhere in the world and I don't see people not vacationing in there. Be always cautious of what is going on around you and you will be fine. Criminals look for easy targets, it does not matter where you are.