Unwanted Upgrade, How do I get my cabin back?

BoxersMom

I assume that they will not upgrade you if your upgrade preferences are all not selected?

e.g. I'm looking at mine and there is a radio button for

• I prefer an automatic upgrade
  • I do not wish to upgrade my stateroom
  • I would like an upgrade but have restrictions....

Radio button 1 and 2 seem to contradict each other . And both mine are unselected so I assume the default it to not upgrade?

Did the OP have the first one selected without realizing (i.e. perhaps Royal or their TA set it up upon booking)?

Edited by LuCruise

I assume that they will not upgrade you if your upgrade preferences are all not selected?

e.g. I'm looking at mine and there is a radio button for

• I prefer an automatic upgrade
  • I do not wish to upgrade my stateroom
  • I would like an upgrade but have restrictions....

Radio button 1 and 2 seem to contradict each other . And both mine are unselected so I assume the default it to not upgrade?

Did the OP have the first one selected without realizing (i.e. perhaps Royal or their TA set it up upon booking)?

With nothing checked you definitel could be upgraded. If you don't want to be upgraded you need to choose #2. If Number 3 give you qualifiers for an upgrade....location and/or accessible cabin.

These choices are made, by you, in your Cruise Planner. For a TA to choose for you he/she would need to have your password to you My Cruises account. For RCI to make a choice the cruiser would have to call them and ask for this to be done.

It would be interesting to know what, if anything, the OP chose for upgrade preferences.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Help, I leave on the Vision of the Seas on Monday Jan 11th and just signed into my reservation an hour ago and found out that they "upgraded" me to a JS but not an AFT JS. I booked my Aft Balcony nearly 2 years ago, and it was still on my reservation on Friday. Now, Saturday night at 10:00 it's gone!! I plan to call C & A first thing tomorrow AM. Any ideas???

I would be on the phone NOW, not on cruise critic, compaining about it.. Your cabin is likely gone, as soon as they upgraded you... Good luck...

Crud, RCCL can do that? My FIL booked a balcony cabin because it was near the elevators and he can't walk very well. But it's the one that's adjacent to the RS and now I'm afraid some family will want it and bump him.

You can not only put 'no upgrades' into your profile, but also your preference in regards to distance from an elevator.

We got an upgrade once, thinking any upgrade is a bonus. Yes, we had upgrade ticked, but we certainly have NO ticked now! From a nice hump D on Radiance, with the oversized balcony near the elevators, to a JS second from the last aft on the side, and right under the big air intake duct and Rita's Cantina with the scraping of chairs and the thump thump of trolleys to the nearby wash-up area.

It seems to me that a pattern has been happening. I have noticed a lot of really nice cabins get upgraded, and it is not always something to be happy about.

Anyone that can't understand why people don't want an upgrade are really not listening to what those people are trying to explain. Some of us have health or other reasons for picking a particular cabin. We are prepared to book early and pay for what we want.

Really happy to see the OP get helped and have a great outcome :)

Edited by goodycruising

It would be interesting to know what, if anything, the OP chose for upgrade preferences.

This is the OPs first sailing and would not have that as a choice under preferences.

Public Service Announcement - the OP got her original cabin back. Every one can go back to their regularly scheduled bitching.:cool:

Really glad you got your problem sorted.

Does anyone know if there is a way to select upgrade preferences if it's your first sailing? For example when I go into my upgrade preferences, it won't let me update them because I don't have a Crown and Anchor number yet as it's my first sailing with RCI. If I call them will they be able to update this for me? (I'm in the UK and I don't want to be on hold for 40 minutes just for them to have no clue what I'm talking about). We booked our corner Aft a year ago and we only care about having the larger balcony - a JS would not be an upgrade for us (the balcony is smaller and we don't need a tub or plan to spend much time in the room itself) and my mum would be devastated if moved after looking forward to that specific one so much.

Really glad you got your problem sorted.

Does anyone know if there is a way to select upgrade preferences if it's your first sailing? For example when I go into my upgrade preferences, it won't let me update them because I don't have a Crown and Anchor number yet as it's my first sailing with RCI. If I call them will they be able to update this for me? (I'm in the UK and I don't want to be on hold for 40 minutes just for them to have no clue what I'm talking about). We booked our corner Aft a year ago and we only care about having the larger balcony - a JS would not be an upgrade for us (the balcony is smaller and we don't need a tub or plan to spend much time in the room itself) and my mum would be devastated if moved after looking forward to that specific one so much.

You can get a C&A number before your first cruise but it won't help with this issue - you still won't have an upgrade preference option. Who knows what you'll get if you call. My only suggestion is that you check your reservation to ensure that you didn't get moved about once a week till about final payment date, then maybe check 2-3 times a week - cabin shuffling mostly happens closer in toward sailing date. While it can happen as with the OP, it is very unlikely.

You can not only put 'no upgrades' into your profile, but also your preference in regards to distance from an elevator.

You're right......and that's a real contradiction. :eek:

No contradiction.

The elevator thing is under "I will accept an upgrade but with these conditions". You'd only check the elevator thing if you were saying you would accept an upgrade with conditions.

Under that option are:

* if traveling with family or friends, keep the rooms close together

* no Boardwalk or Central Park balcony (if on that class ship)

* not into an accessible stateroom

* only on my deck

* not to a lower deck

* only into a stateroom near an elevator

I just wish they also had "only in the same section of the ship (forward, mid, aft)" as an option because I would theoretically love to be upgraded, but I don't like mid or aft - I like to be in the forward section only.

I really wish they had an option for selecting upgrade preferences for each individual cruise. We have five booked this year. First one is an extended family cruise. We have a Promenade cabin that is close by to the inside our son and family are in. We would not want an upgrade to an outside on deck 3. Second cruise we have a junior suite aft. Probably would not want an upgrade on that cruise since we have a great cabin. The other three cruises are just regular side balconies - nothing too special, so we would love a Junior Suite upgrade on those. BUT, the way the form is set up, we have to choose all or nothing.

With nothing checked you definitel could be upgraded. If you don't want to be upgraded you need to choose #2. If Number 3 give you qualifiers for an upgrade....location and/or accessible cabin.

These choices are made, by you, in your Cruise Planner. For a TA to choose for you he/she would need to have your password to you My Cruises account. For RCI to make a choice the cruiser would have to call them and ask for this to be done.

You would think that they would only do an automatic upgrade if you have "I prefer an upgrade" selected. I'm sure a lot of people don't even know about the preferences. We have a Promenade room so any upgrade would be outside stateroom or higher so no harm for us. But as in OPs case, an upgrade is not always the stateroom preferred.

I see from below that OP got her stateroom back. Yah...happy for her as that must have been very disappointing.

Edited by LuCruise

You would think that they would only do an automatic upgrade if you have "I prefer an upgrade" selected. I'm sure a lot of people don't even know about the preferences. We have a Promenade room so any upgrade would be outside stateroom or higher so no harm for us. But as in OPs case, an upgrade is not always the stateroom preferred.

I see from below that OP got her stateroom back. Yah...happy for her as that must have been very disappointing.

But she didn't get her cabin back. She got lucky and a similar one came available.

We had that one as well....suuuuwwwweeeet!:D

Yes! We especially loved it when we turned to head out after viewing the glacier on our Radiance Alaska cruise. We bought a bottle of wine, had room service deliver happy tisers (love that fruit and cheese plate) and set up on our huge corner aft balcony to watched both sides as we slid out of the channel. Heaven! :)

On another day we were thrilled to watch humpback whales breaching in the ship's wake.

You think I would give that cabin up for one side of the ship (possible obstructed view) JS for anything? Nooooooo! ;)

Asked ourselves what could be better than that? A B2B in that same cabin this year! :D

Edited by island lady

It might possibly be a good idea to read the whole thread before posting your comment?

That's quite the dilemma. Some folks may not feel the need to read 100 posts. Also, I often want to quote someone, but feel the need to read the next 60 posts in the off chance that the comment has been resolved. Then you have to go back and find the particular post you want to comment on.

And if you don't do that, someone like you will point it out. ;)

That's quite the dilemma. Some folks may not feel the need to read 100 posts. Also, I often want to quote someone, but feel the need to read the next 60 posts in the off chance that the comment has been resolved. Then you have to go back and find the particular post you want to comment on.

And if you don't do that, someone like you will point it out. ;)

Gosh...thank you! I have done a great service then. :D

My comment was for some that want to insist on posting something negative, and in this case for what real reason since the issue was already resolved? Not for someone that was actually trying to be helpful. ;)

Edited by island lady

This is the OPs first sailing and would not have that as a choice under preferences.

Public Service Announcement - the OP got her original cabin back. Every one can go back to their regularly scheduled bitching.:cool:

FYI, this is not my first cruise, I am a Diamond member and in fact I have 20+ on Celebrity, but only 3 on Royal. I did not know about the Upgrade choice, and had never had this issue with Celebrity, so I had not made a choice as to upgrading. I have however, now!

Also, I did not get my original cabin back. I got another Aft balcony 2 doors down in the middle which I did think was an Upgrade, but would have rather kept what I had and not dealt with the stress. Thank you all!!