No more Captain's table

Livin Life

We once sat at the table with the Cruise Connection bus driver at the lunch stop in Naples, Fl on the way to FT. Lauderdale. Driving the bus is pretty much the same as driving a boat so I guess that counts with dining at a Captain's table.

:D :p :D Did you buy him a drink :D?

Why the negativity? We'll probably never be invited but I'm sure those that do find it a bit of treat. These types of comments always appear envious to me.

We were invited back in September and you are correct -- what a treat! It was an experience I will never forget -- so very special! We were not in a suite, never been in a suite and probably never be able to book a suite. Two of the other couples were suite passengers and one had Zenith status. The couple across from us on our end of the table was so nice and quite interesting. We had the most memorable evening ever! :)

PS -- Never do we have the need to feel important as a matter of fact, we felt nervous and then very spoiled as that initial emotion was put to rest by the very easy conversation (oh, and the champagne helped, too). Why the snarky comment? Not sure where that comes into play.

Edited by Cruise Raider

They'll probably bring it back and charge you $25 for the privilege of sitting with some officer. If there is money to be made they will do it. I don't think the captains enjoy doing it from what I have been told. Just another notch in Celebrity cutbacks and why long time passengers are starting to look elsewhere to spend their vacation dollars.

We once sat at the table with the Cruise Connection bus driver at the lunch stop in Naples, Fl on the way to FT. Lauderdale. Driving the bus is pretty much the same as driving a boat so I guess that counts with dining at a Captain's table.

Another chuckle! Brings to mind, ship's officers sat with US for lunch in the MDR...they said they felt privileged as most tables were full and we kindly invited them to share ours! Great conversation without the pressure of the Captains Table dinner which we have enjoyed even though it was a slow start to the conversation. As others have posted, a libation or two helps the flow.

Edited by oceangoer2

This is a really good change. Captain's Tables tended to be a bit large and sometimes stuffy. The menu was normally the same menu as the MDR. Specialty Restaurants provide a better menu and the smaller tables allow for actual interaction. This change probably costs more since there are more tables around the ship. Love the change.

Speaking of Captain's Receptions, does anyone remember the once-revered practice of standing in a long line to be introduced to the Captain by a Social Hostess? Guests would whisper their name to her and she'd say, "Captain____, may I present Mr. and Mrs. _____?" Then he'd shake your hand while the photographer took your picture.

I can recall standing in line for nearly an hour for the "privilege" and wondering if the Captain ever took breaks to wash his hands! After the 3rd or 4th cruise, I decided that if the Captain really wanted to meet me, he could stop by my cabin.

Why the negativity? We'll probably never be invited but I'm sure those that do find it a bit of treat. These types of comments always appear envious to me.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to quote these as negativity necessarily, and I think you may be reading much more into a statement than is the case as far as envy goes. Not everyone likes every change - why is that construed as necessarily negative? For me, I just hate to see yet another old-time cruise tradition fading, or changing. I am a sentimental, traditional person at heart with many cruises under my belt, and miss a lot of the old traditions that have slowly (and at times rapidly) faded away. I know change is inevitable, but so is aging and as I near Medicare I don't find that change too much fun either - although it certainly beats the alternative:D

I think it's a bit of a stretch to quote these as negativity necessarily, and I think you may be reading much more into a statement than is the case as far as envy goes. Not everyone likes every change - why is that construed as necessarily negative?

Well I wouldn't call these comments very positive. :confused::confused::confused:

Originally Posted by Iamcruzin viewpost.gif

No loss it was just an elitist function that excluded the majority of the passengers.

Originally Posted by keesar viewpost.gif

We saw many of the same people at that table night after night. The time has come to move on from that tradition...

I would feel better about it if there was a fee to dine with the Captain. At least everyone would have a chance at the experience. Ships are getting to big and carrying way to many passengers. The event just isn't practical anymore.

Don't give them ideas.

what if you don't want to do it? Is it horribly wrong to not accept the invitation?

We've been invited a couple of times and enjoyed it thoroughly. We're also not suite people. The first time we were not Elite yet.

We got an invitation on the Equinox in the spring. It was formal night and the dress code was stated on the invitation, we regretfully declined, I didn't pack a dress shirt or tie :o :(

Some of the snarky comments are kind of sad. :confused:

Edited by CRUZBUDS

So the captain is no longer allowed to eat in the MDR?

We ate dinner with the Captain at the Oceanview Cafe after the show on the Reflection. Does that count as eating at the Captain's Table or did he eat at our buffet table?:confused: He did not wear his jacket and I had on a polo golf shirt. I hope that does not upset some. It was a lot of fun. Real nice guy!

what if you don't want to do it? Is it horribly wrong to not accept the invitation?

You are under no obligation to accept. However, before you decline, an important question to ask yourself is, "How well can I swim?"

My mom and I were invited a few years ago (30's and 60's). We were in an inside cabin - definitely not a suite. It was a lovely experience and I am glad that I got to experience it. I met some very interesting people and truly enjoyed ourselves. I look back at the photo and it brings back many memories.

We've enjoyed several Captains Tables on different ships & shared our Oceanview table with several officers a couple of times. All were delightful experiences. We had some great conversations, especially at lunch. A lovely lady & great gentlemen. FYI, never been in a suite & probably never will be.

I just don't consider it a cut back or a lose when it affects less than a % of the total passenger capacity on a single sailing. The negativity is coming from the OP who basically started another doom and gloom Celebrity cut back thread.

Edited by Iamcruzin